• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Ask me in five years. Then again, the last indie game I said that about was Shovel Knight, and five years from release the answer was absolutely a yes from me.

It's well designed, uncompromising, and dense level design. I'd basically explored 99% of the map when I finished the game without trying to be completionist, which I think is a testament to how dense the level design can be despite its massive scope.

Yes...

But damn Is it hard at times.. and it has one of the hardest enemies ever...

latest
I was rather surprised that this was the enemy the Hollow Knight community thought was annoying and hard. Its attacks had enough visibility that I could dodge them more frequently than most despite the angles being a pain in the ass.

I died more often to enemies with any form of shield before I got decent at the combat. Rushdown enemies and splitting enemies caused more pain than projectile enemies

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I wanted to like the game, but the checkpoint and fast travel systems are too frustrating.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Ask me in five years. Then again, the last indie game I said that about was Shovel Knight, and five years from release the answer was absolutely a yes from me.

It's well designed, uncompromising, and dense level design. I'd basically explored 99% of the map when I finished the game without trying to be completionist, which I think is a testament to how dense the level design can be despite its massive scope.

I was rather surprised that this was the enemy the Hollow Knight community thought was annoying and hard. Its attacks had enough visibility that I could dodge them more frequently than most despite the angles being a pain in the ass.

I died more often to enemies with any form of shield before I got decent at the combat. Rushdown enemies and splitting enemies caused more pain than projectile enemies

There are two enemies that were rage inducing - primal aspids and...

latest

That were the most rage inducing- this guy jumps unpredictably, they also do one higher-than normal jump just to fuck with you.

Primal aspids are pure evil

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Absolutely, even if I had a bad first impression.

I had real doubts during the first hour or so though. The sound and visuals were very nice but created such a relaxing setting that it literally put me to sleep.

I ended up taking some weird paths early on and got way over my head with hardly any abilities that improved mobility etc.

I began to think I was the rare exception to the crowd loving this game.

I ended up deleting my file and started a new one. Whatever choices I made the second time around really made a difference for me and this wound up being one of my favorite games ever.

I wouldn't even call it an acquired taste, but I can see how some may not appreciate it as much as others if they were committed to the kind of first impression I had.

Anyways, I ended up gifting this game on steam to basically all my friends (nothing crazy, I only have a few of them lol).

Really excited for the sequel.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to get perfect completion rate currently and definitely haven't seen everything yet.

It absolutely is. The first time I enjoy a Metroidvania. I'd also argue though it obviously borrows concepts from Dark Souls and so on, it pulls of the story and lore even better.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I see why people like it, and I enjoy it enough that I'll finish it, but it's not grabbing me at near the level I thought it would. The map stuff annoys me to no end (having to find the map maker, having to hold a button to bring up the map).

OP
OP
Stuart Gipp

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
So, OP here. I just finished this today - well, I saw the credits - and I'm now confident in calling it a masterpiece by my standards. I enjoyed every single second. I got what I can only assume isn't the final ending, and 75% clear, so back into Hallownest I shall go.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I actually started playing it yesterday for the first time. It didn't immediately grab me, and I can already tell the map system is going to annoy me. We'll see how it develops.
Not the OP, but I also thought I would pop back in to update my thoughts. Phew - I was wrong to doubt so early. I honestly didn't think the map system was that big of a deal in the end. I just kept the compass charm equipped 95% of the time. I ended up loving it - just got done beating the game and getting all of the endings. Very excited for the sequel now!

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bit and liked my 1 hour a lot. Think I'll be happy with the purchase.

I had other games like dead cells and celeste on my list, I was unsure about them though. How are those games?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to say, the backtracking and lack of sufficient and efficient fast travel prevents this from making it a masterpiece for me. It's actually really agonizing having to hike to sections of the map that I've marked (even with the very limited fast travel option available in the game with that big ass bug).