• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the only console game I'm getting out of the ones mentioned in OP is battlefront 2 so for me it doesn't feel badly timed.
The dlc is more Horizon so anyone who enjoyed the base game, will make time for the dlc :)

Gorrok

Oct 28, 2017
This new franchise had an hype. I know lot of people who want to continue and immerse in it again. The story was incredible

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I still have to play the base game. Might wait to see if they put out a complete.
It's out in December.
horizon_zero_dawn_complete_edition.jpg

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
I am really looking forward to this DLC, really hope we get more info tommorrow about lenght, weapons, new machines etc The timing is right for me, because I am not buying any games this holiday.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It'll be fine. It's a game of the year contender for a lot of people, so those that enjoyed it aren't likely to ignore its DLC.

The whole franchise was badly timed IMHO: the main title was launched in the same period of Zelda BOTW and Sony spinned its marketing towards "we even have Zelda-like games on PS4, no need to buy a Switch", even though Switch and PS4 are not even direct competitors

Nonsense. It wasn't marketed as such, and it was a huge critical and sales success despite being a new IP that launched alongside Zelda. It wasn't badly timed at all.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is, my friend bought Horizon Zero Dawn and absolutely loves it, took a week off work to platinum and its his only platinum. He won't be buying frozen wilds day 1 because there's a lot of games his playing right now.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, it is the only piece of software coming out Nov-Dec that I'm interested in. Already pre-ordered.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think with DLC it doesn't matter so much because the majority that are anticipating it will already own the game. So regardless of the other, surrounding big releases, they're going to pick it up anyway.

They're releasing a complete edition a little later, to catch the holiday crowd that haven't played the game already. I think that makes the most sense.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
The whole franchise was badly timed IMHO: the main title was launched in the same period of Zelda BOTW and Sony spinned its marketing towards "we even have Zelda-like games on PS4, no need to buy a Switch", even though Switch and PS4 are not even direct competitors
What are you even talking about?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what happens to base game prices though, wouldn't be the first time where just getting the base game and DLC separatley will end up being cheaper especially if you're not against buying used or willing to wait for some deals on the DLC while you're playing the base game first.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, it's the only thing I've preordered in forever and I can't wait to jump back into Horizon's world.

I've completed NG+ on ultra hard, found every collectible but still fire it up from time to time just to soak up the world's atmosphere.

Rav3n90

Oct 27, 2017

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

Rav3n90

Oct 27, 2017
I do remember that crazy markdown for that specific day but they never said anything about literally making it a Horizon vs Zelda. They just REALLY wanted to make the PS4 attractive alongside the Switch. Later on, I remember Sony even promoting a Switch+PS4 love combo.
Didn't know about the love combo, my bad

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It would have been cool if they delayed it a few weeks and released it during PSX. Simultaneously cap off their biggest achievement of the year while also kicking off the hype train for what should be an insane 2018 lineup.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Didn't know about the love combo, my bad

Found it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/06/sony-exec-shawn-layden-calls-nintendo-switch-a-great-success

Quote from the article
During an interview with Time, Layden referred to the Switch as "a great success for Nintendo," explaining that "it's definitely what that fanbase has been waiting for." The Sony Boss doesn't seem threatened by the console and claimed that sales of the Switch haven't affected that of the PlayStation 4. Instead, he spoke of a more symbiotic relationship between Nintendo and Sony.

"When you look at our numbers, I think it shows that a lot of gamers are a two-console family," explained Layden. "And quite often those two consoles are PlayStation and Nintendo sitting side-by-side."

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I need a bunch of shorter games right now, Horizon DLC and Wolfenstein will be my November games, probably along with something from my backlog. December onwards and my free time takes a beating with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Okami HD, and Ni No Kuni 2 and Monster Hunter World in January.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... they shouldn't release an expansion for one of the year's most successful games because there are other games and another model of Xbox One coming out?

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think it is maybe better to leave it a while before releasing DLC like this, not everyone has finished the main game yet, I am not far from getting 100% and I think many people will have more time to play in the holidays, it is what I plan to do with this DLC/expansion.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
With the DLC arriving 7th Nov, i am afraid it will get overshadowed by the massive titles just launched (Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins) and still to arrive COD WWII, Need for Speed Payback, Battlefront II, Sonic Force, Pokemon Ultra S&M etc.

Lets also not forget Xbox One X arriving on the 7th Nov with a nice list of enhanced 4k/HDR Games.

Will it still succeed (terms of awerness and sales) in this huge pool of sharks or should Guerilla postpone it to a few weeks later to ensure it gets the attention it deserves?

What do you think ERA?
Absolutely, horizon is my GOTY but I won't pick this up when it releases because there's so much else going on.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It will cost 20€, 18€ for PS Plus members

That's a fair price! So it won't have the size of a Lost Legacy DLC I guess but that's fine. I need to finish Lost Legacy too lol. I'm just a little burned out of all those cinematic TPS recently. That's why something like the new Assassins Creed couldn't even made me want to watch some of its trailers. It's getting a little boring now. And to think that the next big hitters from Sony are almost all TPS ... geez I don't want it anymore but God of War, TLOU2, Spider-Man .. as Playstation fan you can't skip them ahhhh

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it is a DLC where you need the base game, so not stand alone.

It doesnt have to compete as a new launch. The target audience are the ones that already have the game.

Later, in December(?) I think, they will be releasing the Complete Edition. That one will move new units.

Deadpool

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like it's been a long wait as I've been gagging for this DLC.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm neck deep in AC Origins and I can't see me dropping this any time soon so I'll probably wait until I've smashed through Egypt and then get back into Horizon.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, it might be the most interesting release of the month. But the competition might be overwhelming.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fell in love with the first game. I couldn't put it down to be honest. I delayed getting the Platinum by like a week. AS for timing, I think for PS fans it's absolutely perfect. I have no reason to get an XB1X because I didn't buy an exclusive game for my XB1S this year.

I think the positioning and date forces a stark comparison which is why Sony targeted that date.

quocia

Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense. It wasn't marketed as such, and it was a huge critical and sales success despite being a new IP that launched alongside Zelda. It wasn't badly timed at all.

It was different games and still a success but I don't think it was a good timing either. Media coverage were all about the Switch & Zelda at the time.

Jon

Oct 25, 2017
lol what sort of mental gymnastic is this

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping it would be a stand alone ala First Light or Lost Legacy so it would have a plat again. It's on my wishlist already though..

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's DLC rather than standalone, timing is fine. Gives PS4 gamers who aren't planning on grabbing a XBOX something new to play that day which makes the most of the Pro features as well.
This.
I'm so looking forward to it. Horizon is my GOTY, so The Frozen Wilds can't come soon enough.
What? Seriously dude, that never happened. Only some hardcore Zelda and Nintendo fans felt 'attacked' by it and god knows why.
Actually, I know why. I remember when a certain gaming site wrote 'This is Sony's Zelda'. I knew this would start some shit and and as we can see now, it's still going. Zelda isn't even in the same genre as Horizon. So stop comparing them all the time, just because they both use open-worlds.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
where is your evidence on this statement

I have some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. My local game store here in the UK. The manager called it "pandemonium" and had to put in an emergency order to head office for HZD copies and consoles. The midnight release and tuesday volume were larger than they anticipated.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is not gonna get into Xbox stuff the release date is ok. I think only game I'd get for the whole month is Pokemon and even that is not necessary. More worried because I can't play all the games from October.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still trying to figure out how a $500 console can overshadow a $20 dlc...
Loved Horizon ZD and going to instabuy the DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
The timing isn't great, it seems like something that would be more ideal to release in December January just based on the theme, and to give it a little breathing room. At the same time though, it's DLC, so I think it will do just fine with fans waiting for it, and if anybody gets the game around the holidays still see it as available to expand their experience.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the dlc will perform well. I'm eager to continue Aloy's story and to learn more about the world of Horizon and to especially discover more machines and further ways to dispatch them. People who want to play the game will get the game regardless of the other incoming stuff. I honestly don't know what's on the Horizon (hah!) other than CoD and Battlefront that will overshadow this dlc. I think it may be being released to Christmas to really garner the impulse buying it would if it were released 2 weeks earlier.