• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

megathemiis

Oct 27, 2017
I have done everything in the base game, but the DLC will probably have to wait till Christmas. Too many games coming out this period and my backlog is starting to scare me.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't release games in fall :LOL sony got no games , rest of year don't count". release game in fall "Did sony mess up this game release".

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The timing is fine, actually better than that. It will be a nice reminder to publications not to sleep on the game during GoTY awards season.

Of all the games you mentioned, Ass Creed is the only one remotely similar. I actually laughed when you mentioned the $500 niche console as a competitor.

Last edited:

Plasmids

Oct 28, 2017
Well I just preordered it yesterday and I'm still going through the main game. I'm just loving the game so much I couldn't help myself.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's DLC so I don't think it matters as much. They'll put out thefull version during a lull next year to drum up more sales for the franchise.

Personally I'd can't wait for it. Mario on Friday and this are my only remaining purchases this year. I don't know that I'll even play any of the other fall realeses down the road other than Wolftenstein when it's cheap. I've not been nearly as enamored with 2017 gaming as most.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems very appropriate to release now since Sony doesn't have much in terms of exclusives releases right now.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Different target audiences, it's the only role playing game releasing in that period. It also has a bigger female audience than your typical video game, which should help it.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
It's a $15-$20 dlc expansion to a goty contender that sold more than 3 million copies. It'll do fine. People complained for years how PlayStation has no first party content for the holidays. Now there is an expansion to a great game, and Grand Turismo Sport.

People will still find something to complain about though.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe it to be badly timed at all OP. I think the majority of folks who'll be playing this are the folks who bought the base game in February with a smattering of others who didn't play the main game when it launched.

I'm putting all my time into Odyssey now and will be ready for the Frozen Wilds when it launches.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever buy dlc packs like that by themselves, so the timing doesn't really matter to me personally. I either get the season pass at launch or wait until a complete edition goes on sale. I rented Horizon at the Redbox, so for this one I'm waiting.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll be okay, but personally I probably won't play it until around Xmas. Too many games from previous months that still need finishing. :)

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's DLC so a lot of folks (me included) will be picking it up due to loving the base game. I won't personally be playing it at launch but they've got a sale. I think it'll do okay.

It is a damn stacked period though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The timing is fine. There will be a fuck-ton of new PS4 owners over the next couple months, releasing the expansion now allows them to peddle the Complete Edition of their flagship game of 2017 and true system showcase, throughout the holidays. Horizon's base game + Frozen Worlds + all the patched in features and updates is a pretty incredible package that deserves a holiday marketing push.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
It's only dlc so I don't think it's badly timed at all. They're also launching the complete edition a month later after all the big holiday games have launched for the people who were waiting on a definitive edition.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like an OK time tbh. As others have said it's DLC, not a base game, and launching it on that date might be counterintuitive considering the competition, but if you are buying it you already have a PS4, and you already have Horizon (since TFW isn't standalone IIRC) so it's not quite the same market. Basically it makes it such that PS4 owners aren't left without anything during that heavy period, and instead are left with a DLC to what has wound up being a very strong game. If you're a one-console-only person it seems to make a lot of sense IMO.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
It must be badly timed as I follow these things pretty closely and I had no idea it was coming out so soon.

Agreed. I remember seeing the banner on the PSN storefront but with so many releases my attention has probably been diverted to other things. I think it might be bad timing seeing as I would definitely pick up this DLC had it not dropped in the midst of so much, but now I'll hold off on it and I think those day 1 purchases are important to a game company even for DLC.
The core game had a huge benefit of dropping before Zelda was released and that usually seems better for a new IP.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I have this preordered but didn't even know it was coming out so soon - had it mind as December for some reason. I was actually thinking about grabbing the XB1X around that time as well, but will hold off committing to that until after I beat this. H:ZD is easily one of my top games so I expect the expansion to consume a decent amount of my free time.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
What better way to establish actual USE of power than releasing dlc to a game that visually surpasses any title on XB1X the acclaimed most powerful gaming console on its launch date. Sony knows what they're doing

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The other games should worry if in the future Horizon comes near by, it is not Horizon that has to be afraid anymore since it is one of the biggest ips in gaming now and will only get bigger, name a new ip that can sell >5M in under a year.

And this is only the beginning.

So no, Horizon DLC is not bad timed, it´s actually perfect since that week will be slow since Cod is the week before and Star Wars the week after and i think Star Wars will flop hard compared to the 1st.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's what people said when the game launched originally too just before BOTW, didn't hurt the sales to my knowledge and it's a stronger IP now and it's on the dominating platform, I think it'll do just fine tbh.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm not worried about the timing, I'm guessing they wanted to avoid Q1 2018 since that's going to have a lot of PS games.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I don't think it will be a bad thing. It is DLC and not a full game. If it was a full game, then the timing would be very poor.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game for a second time on Ultra Hard in anticipation of the DLC. It's a week before Battlefront II so I have plenty of time to finish it.

OP
OP
Kliemie

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I guess PlayStation was waiting for Paris Games Week to release the bomb. New details and footage of the DLC :)
But the biggest surprise for me was...Aloy in Monster Hunter World!! Who would have thought?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yeah, but this happens a lot during the fall season. Pretty much every year.

Personally, I wish they would've held it until December at the earliest. January ideally.

Selane

Oct 27, 2017
With the DLC arriving 7th Nov, i am afraid it will get overshadowed by the massive titles just launched (Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2, AC Origins) and still to arrive COD WWII, Need for Speed Payback, Battlefront II, Sonic Force, Pokemon Ultra S&M etc.
I literally don't care about a single one of those things, whereas I will be getting the HZD DLC day one.
Lets also not forget Xbox One X arriving on the 7th Nov with a nice list of enhanced 4k/HDR Games.
All of which will undoubtedly look like ass compared to HZD anyway.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
it's DLC for a PS4 exclusive game and will be receive price attention on the store front where it is available and is also costs much less than those games. Other consoles & especially other console exclusives will have little to no impact not this

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Given what game this is for, I'll be setting aside everything to replay Horizon and go through this dlc. It's one of my favorite games of the year.

My guess is, there are plenty of other in similar situations. Also, since there was a preorder discount, I wonder how many people bought it early just for the savings.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to disagree with that. It's DLC, so the audience is different. It's the already established Horizon audience, of which there are a lot because the game sold really well. And it's not competing with those other games on a price point perspective either.

Speaking of which, is the $15 price tag just for pre-orders or is that simply how the game is priced for PS+ users?
I still haven't bought the main game. I'm waiting for a cheap complete package :)
Just in case you didn't know, because your wording made it sound like you're still waiting for an announcement, the "Complete Edition" comes out about a month after The Frozen Wilds, for $50. I wish they didn't go with that title, though. It implies the base game wasn't complete. As much as I dislike "Ultimate Edition," even that would have been better.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Just in case you didn't know, because your wording made it sound like you're still waiting for an announcement, the "Complete Edition" comes out about a month after The Frozen Wilds, for $50. I wish they didn't go with that title, though. It implies the base game wasn't complete. As much as I dislike "Ultimate Edition," even that would have been better.

Thank you for your reply. I did hear something about a version of the game, with the dlc included, but I was unsure wether more DLC would arrive later, and since I still have way too many games to play, I thought i would wait for a price drop. I was thinking lower than 50$. But thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.