• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this sentiment on these boards and others. I see the point that they are both hate groups but I personally view them as quite different. I'll start off with saying that no KKK member would accept me. I'm brown, half jew, and a fancy pants educated liberal. I'm not afraid of either the KKK or ISIS attacking me. The odds are so remote that an American will die in a terrorist attack and I guess I don't live in a place where even the hint of KKK membership would be tolerated.

The differences I see.

ISIS is an international terrorist network that uses bombs, trucks, and spree killings to produce fear in all that oppose them.

KKK chooses to push the boundaries of legality to hold rallies, marches, and demonstrations meant to show they are powerful and desire a white heritage, ethnonationalist state.

ISIS attempts to operate as a foreign sovereign state actor. They send terror cells to foreign nations to commit acts of terror.

The KKK does not bomb or go on spree shootings. There are incidents of course. Dylann Roof and poor Heather Heyer but the KKK reacts to say they don't support that. They do everything they can to appear legal. Searching for "KKK terrorism" redirects me to "Christian Terrorism" on wikipedia and those are mostly killings or bombings at abortion clinics.

ISIS is willing to kidnap both nationals and foreigners and try to brain wash, torture, hold for ransom, and try to turn them into soldiers. They create child soldiers and demand they commit brutal acts such as killings, maiming or chopping off the arms of others so the child is expelled from their former community and can only live with them.

The KKK raises it's own to hate all non-whites

The similarities I see.

They are hate groups. They teach the young to hate. They preach the destruction of those not in their in group.

The thing that makes the KKK worse?

They have a sympathizer in the white house. They have members in position of legal authority as well as other positions. They can hide and smile and be your neighbor.

I am willing to try to answer and listen to every criticism of what I've put on the list but I'm not here to defend every person saying they are different. This will be contentious but I feel like it's an issue that deserves to discussed openly with all of us agreeing to do it on our best behavior.

sources used

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/25/world/map-isis-attacks-around-the-world.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you have to realize that they exist in entirely different worlds. If the government weren't so powerful in the US, I would think there would be far more white nationalist attacks, and possibly small regional secession.

Likewise, there are islamists living in the US, but they are unable to be public/coordinate/plan/execute due to our government.

So no, they are not equal, only because there isn't a power vacuum in the US that would allow for the KKK or a similar group to fill.

edit: I guess also a fundamental part of islamism is that the government should be muslim and religion should control all aspects of life, whereas I assume the KKK would be happy with a de facto white nation versus de jure.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
The modern KKK isn't more violent because law inforcement finally clamped down on them so they instead became a political power. They along with other nationalists are resorting to regain white supremacy via the halls of government and make no bones about it if they ever regain supreme rule over all branches of government and the military what do you think they would do to non white, straight, christians?

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you should compare the two. ISIS are brutally murdering, torturing, raping, and enslaving people. Destroying historic sites. Encouraging terrorist attacks and inciting violence.

The KKK is a shitty organization, but ISIS is leaps and bounds more terrible.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's not insane to say ISIS are far worse considering they are responsible for tens of thousands of deaths of innocent people are far more atrocities.

It's a weird comparison to make. KKK are a shit stain of social politics but ISIS are literally destabilising nations...

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
That's not an entirely accurate comparison. You're comparing the domestic activity of the KKK to the international activity of ISIS. You'd get a more accurate picture looking at the stories of people who lived in former ISIS-controlled territory to see how their regime operated.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... a pretty weird analogy.

ISIS is looking to create a battlefield where their objective is to usher in the end of the world. I dont think the KKK even nears that.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The modern KKK isn't more violent because law inforcement finally clamped down on them so they instead became a political power. They along with other nationalists are resorting to regain white supremacy via the halls of government and make no bones about it if they ever regain supreme rule over all branches of government and the military what do you think they would do to non white, straight, christians?

This is right. If the KKK had law of the land, you could not even imagine the monstrosity they could commit.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between ISIS and the KKK is in how people respond to their actions. You won't find a lack of condemnation for the actions of ISIS in the US and that spills over into discrimination of normal Muslims and people of Middle Eastern descent. But white supremacists have a not insignificant amount of support from white America and more often then not White Supremacist groups are supported by local law enforcement. Just look at the police response after Charlottesvillle.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
Thread has been locked. This isn't really a constructive discussion of anything and will mostly likely just end up with people defending or ranking one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.