• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Now, I'm not complaining. So far I couldn't be happier with this game. Absolutely captivated.

But, it's just strange to me that a tentpole Mario game, the posterchild not just for Nintendo, but for the entire industry and medium didn't release with more fanfare in terms of physical goods and extras. I feel like Nintendo left money on the table here. It's especially odd when Zelda BOTW got one.

I really wonder what was Nintendo's reasoning here.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was hoping for a CE but looks like Nintendo just stuck with the bundle

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda didn't have one at release did it?

217638_detail_zoomv3.jpg

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
LEs are a AAA industry trend that Nintendo has no need to follow.

Seriously, what was especial about LEs was that few games got one back in the day, and almost all were meaningful. Today LEs are mostly cheap junk and another form of whale hunting

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I guess the tied-in Amiibo cover them for 'I need more plastic junk' buyers.

Seriously, what was especial about LEs was that few games got one back in the day, and almost al were meaningful. Today LEs are mostly cheap junk and another form of whale hunting
they've done it for Zelda and some other stuff.

EDIT: True about the whale hunting though, nice point, never thought of it like that.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Seriously, what was especial about LEs was that few games got one back in the day, and almost al were meaningful. Today LEs are mostly cheap junk and another form of whale hunting
Excuse me, my poorly-constructed plastic figurines are collectors items, and will some day be worth $$$

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
They probably wanted to prioritize getting as many out there as possible.

Plus the bundle.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game is so great that every copy of Mario Odyssey is a special edition.

They should hire me for PR.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any sort of Main mario game that had a different non-system bundle SKU.

Amiibo Bundles don't really count either.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it counts, but Mario All Stars on the Wii had a soundtrack CD and history booklet. And Mario Maker had a little book too.
Before the Nintendo Selects reprint, that was the only state Mario All Stars Anniversary was in, and the Mario Maker booklet was a first print sort of thing, not an actual SKU.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish this would have had a Special/Limited/Collector's Edition. Or at the very least, a steelbook.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Seriously, what was especial about LEs was that few games got one back in the day, and almost all were meaningful. Today LEs are mostly cheap junk and another form of whale hunting
They have five games this year with LEs or some form of tiered releases. Not to mention any amiibo tie-ins.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yeah I just used a quick Google image. I have the actual game, signed by Miyamoto. I should take a good quality picture of it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think they'd rather people bought the Amiibo than have an extra SKU. There's so much Mario merchandise available elsewhere that it's not like anyone wanting extra stuff is short of options.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Fire Emblem Warriors does, containing a few cards and a music Cd.

Zelda's Explorer edition is out in NA this month, adding a map, book etc.

If you mean 'they shouldn't follow it' I agree, they are mostly full of cheap tat, if you mean 'they don't do it' that's not true.

Oct 25, 2017

If you mean 'they shouldn't follow it' I agree, they are mostly full of cheap tat, if you mean 'they don't do it' that's not true.

Zelda gets most of their collector's edition tat treatment because it's the prestige IP. You always gotta celebrate the prestige IP with extra stuff. Wind Waker HD's Ganondorf statue, BotW's two editions, Twilight Princess' Amiibo Bundle with Soundtrack selection (I countt hat cause the box is very nice and holofoil.

Fire Emblem is the same deal.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Saves me money! Then again, I didn't bother with the Zelda one as the statue was disappointing.

There was that fly coin in the US retail though. Looked pretty good from the pics.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm saying the shouldn't follow the trend, and that they don't always do it, not even with their biggest releases. That's my point exactly.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Has a Mario game ever had a LE?

It's something Nintendo has done for Zelda several times, but for some reason, Mario doesn't get the same treatment.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I don't think Mario has ever got an LE, as its audience is mostly children, they don't care about stuff like that.

Zelda has more of an adult audience which is why they always get LEs. That's just my theory anyways.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It's a shame. Need a package that reflects the quality of the game itself. Just a steelbook would've been great. Good thing that the box art is amazing, tho.