• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can understand why some might want gameplay to accompany a reveal announcement, but personally, I don't mind CGI reveals at all. Many such trailers are timeless, in my opinion, videos from years and years ago that I still watch on the regular. If I'm interested in a game, then invariably over the course of its development there will be gameplay footage released with which to make an informed purchasing decision.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's situational, really. For a new IP, I think it's a terrible, terrible idea. For things like Smash Bros where characters are a huge part of the excitement and simply knowing a sequel to a beloved franchise is coming, I'm okay with it. Even telling us Pokemon and Metroid are coming with a simple logo is fine if it keeps people from screeching for an entire year.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Do you guys consider those CGIs reveal the same thing as those character artworks reveals which most smartphone games get that does not reveal anything related to how is the gameplay and/or it does not match with in-game char models either? Because I do and I think both suck.

I hate this with indie games the most.

If the game is not ready to show publicly yet, what's a marketing department to do?

They can wait till they are ready to show something that represents the game they will be selling.
I don't think I will be taking dudes down like Lara did with such speed and precision without being seen when I play the game.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care either way, although I wished TR would've just shown gameplay along with the cgi trailer instead of holding it back for E3. Like someone said earlier, people are biased towards games they like and that's when they don't mind it. I don't play smash but wasn't the trailer/teaser just cgi and then it had a 400+ thread on here. The FFVII remake was a cgi trailer and people lost their minds. The only thing we've gotten since then was a trailer that might not ever reflect the current game and a screenshot or two.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
I've gotten to the point where if I see a reveal is CG, I just click through the timeline bar in a few places to see if there's anything remotely interesting before closing the tab.

CG intros tell me next to nothing and at worst set expectations for things that can never be. Gameplay is the best and realtime cinematics are second.

We're definitely at a point where CG intros really aren't necessary for conveying the artistic vision. I remember being amazed at how Metroid Prime used the in-game Samus model close up in both their magazine print ads and game cover. A few sharper edges and the slightly low-res dots on her shoulder pads were the only things that gave it away as being the real in-game model. It was amazing, and registered to me as a moment when I thought that game graphics had made it and wouldn't need to rely on pre-rendered stuff to describe the artistic vision like they had back in the PS1 days.

A somewhat related pet peeve is indies and newbie devs frontloading 30+ seconds of their logos and other bullshit before getting on with the gameplay. If you're a big name, then seeing a company's logo will get me excited if I've liked their previous titles. But if you're some nobody, then I don't give two shits about watching your logo fade in and out and do pretty after effects animations before you get on with the pitch.

Last edited:

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is someone entitled when they ask for footage that is representative of the experience that they may end up purchasing? Different mediums require different marketing approaches. Trailers for movies makes sense. Trailers for books doesn't make sense. Since games are an interactive medium, they should err towards gameplay footage rather than CGI.
There are, actually, trailers for books.

But besides that, have you seen the sentiments here and the reactions in that Tomb Raider trailer thread? People just want it gone altogether and I just don't understand why. It's not like they have to or even can buy the game now. There are plenty of time between now and release for the representative trailer they covet in order to have that purchasing decision. What game nowadays actually releases with nothing but CGI trailers? How is its mere existence affect them in any way? It's like people just want everything to only cater to them them them and they want it now now now.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like CGI Trailers. I am a hoarder of epic trailers..going back to see them again when I am bored.
Don't mind them at all - assuming gameplay trailer should be just around the corner.

For me first impression is not the gameplay - but the setting/mood/story - which is better conveyed with a cinematic trailer.
TLOU2 CGI reveal, wouldn't have it anyother way. shit was epic rollercoaster.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're cool, but I think the years of shitty MMOs using CGI trailers kinda ruined them for me. It's kinda puzzling they didn't have a gameplay trailer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider though, it seemed like today was supposed to be the unveiling of the game.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Only Kojima should do them. Those Death Stranding trailers are my shit and I want more of them just as much as I want to see gameplay.

But yeah, that Shadow the Tomb Raider one was a complete waste of time and resources. Absolutely nothing was gained from that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes. I was wondering about the cost, because often times these trailers are outsourced to companies that use stuff like Maya and other video editing software as opposed to having access to a game's engine and ancillary resources.

That said, I think we're at a point, graphically speaking, where it feels (to me) partially redundant and misleading.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
If gameplay isn't ready to be shown then the game isn't ready to be announced.

Pretty much this. Because the industry standard is to try to wow or impress before it's ready I'm jaded AF and don't believe anything until I have the product in my hands.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
The lack of patience in gamers is beyond embarrassing. Let developers show off a game how they want and when they want. If it is actually getting made, you will get in game footage at some point. Learn to wait.

It is wild. Gamers on the interwebs really do complain about the dumbest shit. You KNOW you will get gameplay soon enough so what's the point of whining about a trailer. You do know studios try to market to those outside the hardcore base, right?

They're a marketing tool. That's all. And people do like them, so deal with it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to do a CGI reveal, it has to be top-tier stuff. Toy with the audience a bit like the FF7R trailer, really sell your tone (Ghost of Tsushima), or tell an interesting little story (like Dead Island, even if the trailer far eclipses the game). Just don't serve up filler material like the most recent Tomb Raider one.

EDIT: Was unaware the Tsushima reveal was in-engine. Neat.

Last edited:

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
If you're going to do a CGI reveal, it has to be top-tier stuff. Toy with the audience a bit like the FF7R trailer, really sell your tone (Ghost of Tsushima) or tell an interesting little story (like Dead Island, even if the trailer far eclipses the game). Just don't serve up filler material like the most recent Tomb Raider one.

So how doesn't the Tomb Raider sell the tone exactly? What is it missing?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to do a CGI reveal, it has to be top-tier stuff. Toy with the audience a bit like the FF7R trailer, really sell your tone (Ghost of Tsushima), or tell an interesting little story (like Dead Island, even if the trailer far eclipses the game). Just don't serve up filler material like the most recent Tomb Raider one.

Ghost of Tsushima reveal wasn't prerendered CGI.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yea its annoying. Like the Halo on Xbox One reveal at e3 in 2013. None of that entire clip was in Halo 5 some even speculate its for Halo 6.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

The trailer for GoT was in-engine.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Also, where were the complaints about CGI only with the Smash Switch and Metroid reveals?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So how doesn't the Tomb Raider sell the tone exactly? What is it missing?
Something 'new'. This is the third game in the reboot series, and the monologue they went with was generic, 'not turning back, sacrifice, blah blah'. It's the exact same stuff Lara has been going on about the last two games. If we're comparing to Ghost of Tsushima, that was told from the POV of the enemy, which gave it a much more interesting flair.

If we want to compare the execution of the trailer to a similar, but much better one, here's the CGI trailer for Arkham City:

It's just the protagonist beating up on faceless grunts, but you have a way more interesting monologue and POV + cutting between two distinct situations that contrast better.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Something 'new'. This is the third game in the reboot series, and the monologue they went with was generic, 'not turning back, sacrifice, blah blah'. It's the exact same stuff Lara has been going on about the last two games. If we're comparing to Ghost of Tsushima, that was told from the POV of the enemy, which gave it a much more interesting flair.

If we want to compare the execution of the trailer to a similar, but much better one, here's the CGI trailer for Arkham City:

It's just the protagonist beating up on faceless grunts, but you have a way more interesting monologue and POV + cutting between two distinct situations that contrast better.

OK. So you didn't like the teaser. Fine. Not sure that's why they should be eliminated?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
OK. So you didn't like the teaser. Fine. Not sure that's why they should be eliminated?
I mean, I'm not sure what else I can say? This is a case where I think they should have gone with a trailer that incorporated ingame cinematics/footage instead and saved money, since this particular trailer didn't achieve anything that that wouldn't.

EDIT: Like, absurdly rough estimate, but a two and a half minute trailer like the Shadow one is minimum $800k, if you really lowball it. In all likelihood, it was probably several hundred thousand more than that, and I really struggle to think it was worth it.

Last edited:

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's like getting a bunch of extremely high quality animated short films every year, so no. I mean, how can you watch this trailer and not get hyped as fuck.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its to appeal to the masses. I will never be excited for a game beacause of a cgi trailer. They can be cool and pretty but I think theyre a waste of time and money. Just give me gameplay and not a slice of what probably wont ever be playable.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Cgi reveal is basically concept reveal. It's just the wording but both are literally the same. What the game wants to achieve and what the game wants to showcase, both want to be shown via cgi reveal

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like them, sometimes gameplay simply isn't ready to be revealed and that's fine.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Don't ever fucking reveal a Final Fantasy without CG.

CG is a Final Fantasy staple. Regardless of how close in-game renders are to it, I will always prefer CG cutscenes in my FF. It's a reward and a basic expectation.