• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Children like Bulma using guns is just because Toriyama was/is a model gun collector and he likes to draw them. There isn't any information of Bulma undergoing any combat training

I supposed this was the reason.

Guess if they make a more gunplay character it would have to be Mai, she could be the Mastodon Sentry of this game, lol.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, probably a few times, but Dragon Ball Z is the most basic of basic kids' power fantasy mangas that is made primarily for an audience of boys aged 15 or younger. I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect much in terms of representation.

Cause Super added a ton of female fighter options, 2 of them (3 if you count their fusion) topping "most wanted character" lists.

Why do people keep ignoring this?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, is there any reason why people are so gung ho on the idea of a sequel as opposed to a S3?
Hopes that the game would turn into something dramatically different from what it currently is, possibly (going by a preceding Arc sequel transition like GGXrd -SIGN- to -REVELATOR-/Rev2, where the tweaks were more minor than a reinvention, this would be very unlikely). Potentially the desire to get all current DLC characters as part of the newer base game, too.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Hopes that the game would turn into something dramatically different from what it currently is, possibly (going by a preceding Arc sequel transition like GGXrd -SIGN- to -REVELATOR-/Rev2, where the tweaks were more minor than a reinvention, this would be very unlikely).

Personally im hoping for a Street Fighter 5 approach with them just keeping adding more modes and characters.

SF5 is on it's way to it's 4th season of additional characters, would be very happy if DBFZ gets to that point too.

It's not impossible given the support Xenoverse 2 is getting.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Personally im hoping for a Street Fighter 5 approach with them just keeping adding more modes and characters.

SF5 is on it's way to it's 4th season of additional characters, would be very happy if DBFZ gets to that point too.

It's not impossible given the support Xenoverse 2 is getting.
Right now, most of us in the SFV OT are simply hoping that there is an actual S4 that they're sitting on, rather than the ongoing radio silence being the result of not having much of anything new beyond Kage. Either way, I too would prefer S3 over a DBFZ2.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
But that is my point all we have is user data which show they get played a lot which is just part of it .
Arc has more data that us when it comes to all the other aspects so if they bringing out more Gokus they got a reason.
The chances are they doing it because he selling since it's about making money .
That usage data shows Base Goku is decently played but far from popular and Base Vegeta is almost the least played among the DLC, that data does not support adding more Gokus. And nothing supports adding GT Goku, GT nearly killed the series, almost no one is asking for that.

And Arcsys are not deciding who gets added, they have so many people above them when it comes to that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would say I'd hope they're saving SSJ4 Goku for the next game, but SSJ4 Goku is in GT Goku's moveset...

We'll get Ultra Instinct Goku before that, probably.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
After reading this thread i feel like the only person that actually likes yajirobe and would love it if he was playabe.

But yea there really isnt any other reason for lack of female fighters other than they dont want to.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, is there any reason why people are so gung ho on the idea of a sequel as opposed to a S3?
The game isn't popping like it was during release and season 1. Besides the new release for additional gameplay improvements you get additional press, people speaking on it more and you also get a new story and overall feel. This whole "new season" thing doesn't work for every fighting game.

ASW even said they weren't planning on doing a second season. They're probably already working on the sequel.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I frankly don't know I'm just cranky and was sick of that being any sort of excuse.

I find it hard to believe it's Toei's doing though when they've approved stuff like this.
latest

957.jpg

1c478ea733d768cd964dc79e12e7ea8eeb2aaa7bv2_hq.jpg

Toei has nothing to do with the above. That's Shueisha and Bamco.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My favorite part was Beerus was ok because the movie he was from had Z in the title so he doesn't count.

My personal favorite was Blue Kaioken clearly being based on Super Saiyan Kaioken from the Otherworld tournament filler, despite the fact it looks exactly like Blue Kaioken from the Super anime and not what Super Kaioken looked like in the filler. Or people ignoring the one of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegeta's moves came from beating up Black.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's more a source material problem than the game designers not giving equal female representation. I can't think of ten female fighters before the last season of super that could hold their own against any of the z fighters. But if we are talking the tournament of power then hell yes add them in, so many good female fighters!

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Should have made a Dragon Ball game...

You had Bulma, Lunch, Chi Chi(young and teen) Mai, Arale, that one stripper from the 21st Budokai and handful of filler characters.

But no, everyone wants their flying and Super Saiyans.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

You had Bulma, Lunch, Chi Chi(young and teen) Mai, Arale, that one stripper from the 21st Budokai and handful of filler characters.

But no, everyone wants their flying and Super Saiyans.
We're probably more likely to see One Piece characters than for Shueisha, Toei, or Namco Bandai to want to do something with classic DB, haha.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

This is getting really annoying, actually. Not the lack of Dragonball games, but that for some reason Shueisha nowadays seems to see Dragonball as separate from anything else. Older games had no issues mixing DB characters with Z ones, but now apparently even adding Roshi seems to be really unlikely in spite of his role in Super.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
We're probably more likely to see One Piece characters than for Shueisha, Toei, or Namco Bandai to want to do something with classic DB, haha.

Nah, there's another Goku to get from DB classic.

Just make GT Goku's model be chubby with no muscle definition and give him DB Goku's head. Since GT Goku's head is still his adult head on a smaller body.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can make a drinking game out of these posts.

Moi8Rpr.jpg

This is getting really annoying, actually. Not the lack of Dragonball games, but that for some reason Shueisha nowadays seems to see Dragonball as separate from anything else. Older games had no issues mixing DB characters with Z ones, but now apparently even adding Roshi seems to be really unlikely in spite of his role in Super.

Lol I don't really blame them for games like FighterZ, but you'd think they'd get thrown a bone in stuff like Xenoverse

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i really think that Videl was supposed to be in Season 1 but 17's upswing in popularity made the higher-ups push him through, especially since 17's FighterZ moveset doesn't... really capture all his highlights from the ToP arc, just this and that and some stuff that felt left over (hell, it feels like 17 only has rekkas cuz Videl was planned to, as well). I really wish they opened S2 with Jiren and 17 instead since Jiren's moveset is full of stuff from the anime, right down to referencing a couple of the goofier things, and 17 would have benefitted more from a bit more time to really digest what people liked out of him during the arc instead of giving him a more generic moveset feat. The Barrier Punch and little else interesting

Oct 25, 2017
There's chichi, Burma? caulifa, kale, kefla, and the heart lady. Anybody else is stretching hard for a non xenoverse fighter.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like more of a problem of source material.
Dragon Ball as a series in general didn't many female fighters.

I could see arguments for califa and kale, but we got the superior Kefla anyway.
It's not like kid goten and kid trunks are in there either.
EDIT: Wait.... is kefla not in this game? wtf.
This is my favorite post in the thread.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The source material for DBFZ only contains a handful of notable female characters and only 2 or 3 of them are viable in a fight.

I'm an 18 fan, but DBZ is what it is.

You can't retroactively get mad at that and wish for something that wasn't really there in the first place.

That's like asking for a balanced representation of men in Skull Girls.
...Except there are plenty of important male characters in Skull Girls? What a weird comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
That Z RPG they're doing now would have really benefited starting from Dragon Ball instead of Z.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How many of those dudes are on the character selection screen?
I think you missed my point. The reason Skullgirls has mostly female characters isn't because of a lack of male characters in the story/setting (There are quite a few prominent ones that aren't playable). It's because Lab Zero wanted to make an entirely (And later mostly) female roster.

Also, it bears mentioning that male characters make up a higher portion of Skullgirls' roster than female characters make up of DBFighterZ.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

This honestly pisses me off more than the lack of females. It really says something when Slug can get into a game before King Piccolo and Dokkan only recently released a Kid Goku Dokkan Fest card (only took four years).

I mean, we got to the point that they won't even give us a real Kid Goku, but instead give us a GT Kid Goku hybrid.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
if videl could get in fighterz i dont see why any other female character cant get in.its just disappointing. arcsys hasnt mentioned anything yet right?

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I don't know why some people are mad because Bulma in a mech isnt in it, one of my favorite things about her is that she is one of the most important characters in the series and she doesnt even need to fight to do that, it's a pretty defferent take for a DB character next to super powerful monsters and just adding her in a mech would break that imo, unlike Chichi for example who is just annoying and has been useless since the Original DB for example, Bulma is by far the better written character.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
if videl could get in fighterz i dont see why any other female character cant get in.its just disappointing. arcsys hasnt mentioned anything yet right?

The game sold well and Kefla's popular and in the newest patch, there's announcer voices for Caulifla and Kale coming. No way Kefla's not being added at some point.

Papoluca

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
And people like to critize Kishimoto's women lol. Naruto has an amazing cast of women powerwise.

Heck Kaguya might be the strongest character in the whole series.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
people don't criticize naruto women powerwise. They question their sanity and that extends to the males. I mean fucking talk no jutsu is the strongest skill.