• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Z or Z?
Tomato or tomato?
How do you pronounce those?

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GUEST_de10d6e1-4122-4d50-b9c8-c9ba96cea3b8

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The original creator of the format states it's pronounced like the peanut butter, so that's what it is. There's no debate to be had here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hard G, as in Graphics, because honestly a minority of people who know what a gif is read that story about the format creator's opinion. I'd rather be understood than "correct".
This argument is only for hardcore nerds

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
Jiggabytes

Also, I wanna start pronouncing the 'oo' in google as you would for cook or foot.

meme rhymes with gene, they are the same idea for different systems of information transfer

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that to have this conversation in text we have to basically ask if it is pronounced gif or jif, says it all.

If you have to misspell the word to get across how you think it should be pronounced you are already admitting that gif is pronounced like gift, minus the t.

Oct 25, 2017
All arguments I've heard against jif are nonsense.
The fact that to have this conversation in text we have to basically ask if it is pronounced gif or jif, says it all.

If you have to misspell the word to get across how you think it should be pronounced you are already admitting that gif is pronounced like gift, minus the t.
There's a pronunication guide that isn't identitical to the original word for like every word in the English language.

For the above sentence alone:

there = t͟her
pronunciation = prə-ˌnən(t)-sē-ˈā-shən
guide = gīd
identical = ī-ˈden-ti-kəl
original = ə-ˈri-jə-nᵊl

...you get the picture. You're arguing against English, not jif.

Last edited: