• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, but, that is not relevant. GIF is an acronym of Graphics Interchange Format ... lol

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
What. Is. Your. Point. When you're making a new word, which is what an acronym is, the original individual words mean fuck all.
Taking your statement as true, the pronunciation of gif is up to the people who speak it as a word. In this case there just happens to be another example where the g stands for graphical and uses the hard g... GUI (gooey) Graphical User Interface. So, not only do the majority say gif with a hard g, there is also a precedent in the same industry. You should pronounce it however you want (maybe the f is silent, maybe its a hard i like iPhone), but, pronouncing gif with a soft g is in the minority and against precedent.

Also not all acronyms are words.

Oct 25, 2017
Taking your statement as true, the pronunciation of gif is up to the people who speak it as a word. In this case there just happens to be another example where the g stands for graphical and uses the hard g... GUI (gooey) Graphical User Interface. So, not only do the majority say gif with a hard g, there is also a precedent in the same industry. You should pronounce it however you want (maybe the f is silent, maybe its a hard i like iPhone), but, pronouncing gif with a soft g is in the minority and against precedent.

Also not all acronyms are words.
In my framework which I consider the only reasonable and consistent one where the base words have no bearing on how you say the created word, it is just a coincidence that an acronym that derives from "graphical" ends up with a hard g instead of a soft. I advocate for the coexistence of hard and soft g's, so this is fine if GUI ends up gooey and GIF ends up jif. Soft g's don't typically (or maybe even ever I don't know) come from "gu." So this isn't precedent for anything. It's how I would expect the words in my framework to work.

And naturally I reject your appeal to "well you're in the minority"

Non-word acronyms are kind of irrelevant so let's just take acronym to mean a word formed by the letters of a term and not also the ones that are just spoken letters.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
It's spelled "g-i".

giant, gigantic, gingersnap, giraffe
margin, magic, rigid, sluggish, tragic, digit , engine
gif

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would only apply if Steve Wilhite created the word "graphics".

Anyone who says JIF should be consistent about it. Jraphics.
It comes from not being a monster and first using the acronym before moving on to the shorthand. Decent folk started saying each letter in sequence. G, I, F. Say that for a while and you shorten it to "jif" because that's how you pronounce the letter "G" by itself.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Gif like giraffe, ginger, or Gerald. I don't care that I'm in the minority, it's how I was raised.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's Gif with a hard G. Jiff is peanut butter.
choosey moms choose Gif
the one choosy moms hate
choosey mums choose Jeff, and no I WONT call him 'dad', I don't HAVE a dad, I HAVE A JEFF

D72-D85-DD-C4-DC-4-EF1-B91-E-A49-C94-E9-C1-E9.png

The original name was a play on this

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I always pronounced it jif until people said it was wrong but I felt it make more sense

Just because the G stands for graphics doesn't mean that's how it should be pronounced else we're mispronouncing 99% of the acronyms we have

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I pronounce it as if the G is silent but there's also a sneaky H in there. Also the F is silent but swaps with the Hard G sound of graphic. The I is also an O. So I pronounce it like "Hog".

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Dutch I pronounce it the same way as the word we use for poison: gif, with a hard, throat sound that most English speakers wouldn't find too appetizing.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Nope.

Graphics does not begin with a J.

Facts.

That's not how acronyms work. The pronunciation of the overall acronym doesn't stem from the sound the first letters of the component words made. People invent acronyms to convey complex names for things in a way people can remember. I made an acronym once and deliberately stylized it a certain way for a specific pronunciation. It's up to the creator because they're the one trying to convey the meaning.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how acronyms work. The pronunciation of the overall acronym doesn't stem from the sound the first letters of the component words made. People invent acronyms to convey complex names for things in a way people can remember. I made an acronym once and deliberately stylized it a certain way for a specific pronunciation. It's up to the creator because they're the one trying to convey the meaning.

It is how they work. A G not pronounced J.

The creator was wrong which is why pretty much no one says jif.

Also, the creator cannot dictate how people pronounce it. So we'll follow logic instead of their intent.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It is how they work. A G not pronounced J.

The creator was wrong which is why pretty much no one says jif.

Also, the creator cannot dictate how people pronounce it. So we'll follow logic instead of their intent.

Say the letter "G" and you're making the same sound as the "j-" in "jif". It absolutely can be pronounced however the inventor intended. Because acronyms are designed to be simplify a long name, inventors like to imbue them with Mnemonic devices. Like "choosy programmers choose GIF". So it has a dual meaning, and without that, you aren't actually referring to the original designation.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only reasonable stance at this point is that it's both

tomato tomato

treat it as regional and move on. no one is confused with either

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Say the letter "G" and you're making the same sound as the "j-" in "jif". It absolutely can be pronounced however the inventor intended. Because acronyms are designed to be simplify a long name, inventors like to imbue them with Mnemonic devices. Like "choosy programmers choose GIF". So it has a dual meaning, and without that, you aren't actually referring to the original designation.

It's Gif.