• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 came out in 2007 (2006 for Japan). Persona 4 came out in 2008. Persona 5 came out in 2017 (2016 for Japan).

Will Persona 6 take as long to come out? I want to believe no. I think, like a lot of Japanese devs, Atlus got hit hard by the introduction of HD consoles, and development tools that weren't suited for them, unlike the West that had been making games for PC since forever. Since last gen, Japan seems to have recovered by succeeding in making their own engines, but also thanks to the introduction of Japanese support for Unreal Engine 4.

So with that in mind, I have to believe that Atlus has the tools and the know-how to make Persona 6 in a reasonable amount of time.

Right?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, but the shuffles in the creative team don't inspire me with confidence that Persona 6 is inbound anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
It will probably come much earlier if they use the same engine. If that happens I expect them to announce it in a couple of years.

Hopefully, they create a Persona about adults this time. It felt like they wanted to do it in this one but didn't.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
One would think so given that the Japanese have begun outputting stuff sooner this gen than last.

However, we have heard next to nothing about this from Atlus. Persona 6, see you on PS5.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
That depends. The Persona 3/4/5 creative team is making a fantasy JRPG (that means 4-5 more years of Dev time). As for the Persona team, I guess its up to them to take up the mantle.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus is going to milk P5 spin offs for at least 4 years. Maybe 5 instead of 6? Should take less time than P5 if no cross gen funk happens

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
It'll take a while since the leads have moved on but it won't be that long. Their were other factors in the gap between 4 and 5 like creating Cathrine first, all that happened with Index and the eventual buyout by Sega.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they make another one sooner than that.

That being said it might as well take me another 6 years to finish the game, its is really long.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, but the shuffles in the creative team don't inspire me with confidence that Persona 6 is inbound anytime soon.

This. Didn't the composer and several of the upper level people move to working on the new fantasy RPG?

Also, for reference's sake, does P Studio work on and release anything else? Do they just provide assistance to other projects?

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
With how big Persona 5 is as a game, in terms of both content and likelihood of getting milked the way P4 was, I'm not expecting Persona 6 any time soon. And honestly, I dunno if I want it within the next few years in the first place. I'm happy with Persona 5 and I'd like them to take their time with Persona 6 to make it something really unique and different from the last few games. It's time for another series overhaul imo and I don't want them to rush it. I don't want it to take 9 years if it doesn't have to but I don't feel like I need a new Persona game in the next two or three years.

BulletClub

Oct 27, 2017
You know I came on here to post that I sincerely didn't think it would, but the more I thought about it....

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
I think we'll have to wait at least another 4-5 years considering the talent shuffle and everything else right now.
Unless they have a B team already doing something right now.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
No, It's a big ip for Atlus.
Persona 5 took as long as it did because Atlus' old parent company was having financial issues & messing with the books. Hashino even said that persona 5 almost didn't come out under Index.
Atlus is also a niche company so you can't expect them to pump them out that quickly. Now that Sega owns them & can provide more resources this may change but considering they have full control as long as they aren't losing money rite now by Sega i doubt it. I give it until 2019 tbh.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll hit the triple whammy of devastating earthquake, parent company imploding and console transition again.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
The big time waster for P5 was in the engine making (specifically scenario engine) and creature assets.
Hell, P5's development probably sped along SMTV's development by a good deal just because they have most of the monsters as hd models now.

But we also have to consider project re fantasy, which is that teams new game iirc. So we won't see it before that, and Re Fantasy is in early dev iirc.
So... i'd say not for another 5 years.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair they made Catherine between that, which came out in 11'. Also, now that they have so many demon models made I imagine they're going to be reusing the fuck outta those assets. Don't know how much time that would shave off for the next game though.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, even if it comes out in 2026, it'll be revealed as a PS5 launch game in 2020.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
9 spinoffs, anyway

Edit: I totally hadn't considered story DLC. Does Atlus have a history of releasing DLC beyond cosmetic stuff? That'd be awesome.

Ube

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With how big Persona 5 is as a game, in terms of both content and likelihood of getting milked the way P4 was, I'm not expecting Persona 6 any time soon. And honestly, I dunno if I want it within the next few years in the first place. I'm happy with Persona 5 and I'd like them to take their time with Persona 6 to make it something really unique and different from the last few games. It's time for another series overhaul imo and I don't want them to rush it. I don't want it to take 9 years if it doesn't have to but I don't feel like I need a new Persona game in the next two or three years.

agree. i enjoyed P5 and felt like it was well worth the wait.

they did a lot of spin offs with persona 4 and i personally enjoyed them all (specifically seeing how they blended the P4 cast with P3 in P4AU).

i wouldnt mind if they did a P5 arena to connect everything with the other persona games.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 is the first time I've actively wanted an improved/plus version of a Persona to be released.
I'd take it first, honestly.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
It took them that long because the problems with Index and because they had to jump from developing games for SD resolutions to HD ones. They also created HD models of classic SMT demons that they can reuse for other games.

I guess we can assume the next Persona game will take them less time, but I'm not expecting a game to be released next year.

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope not. Didn't really love 5, and I was hoping to see them try again with the same engine. Persona 5 is a technical masterpiece. I want to see them tackle another story using what they've made.

But I think it's what we can expect (given past releases).

Oct 27, 2017
I loved P5, maybe a bit less than P4G but idk. I can see millions of P5 spin offs. Aren't they setting up a new studio to take over Persona while the main P Studio works on the new fantasy game? I hope so.

I'd kill for P3 FES remaster and P4G on consoles too.

I would hope they could re-use the engine to make a quick P6 a la P4 only two years after 3. Drop PS3, make it PS4 only maybe Switch idk.

In a perfect world we get P3/P4G HD and Persona 6 before this gen is over but idk. Wishful thinking

Jonbjohns

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a long wait. There are so many spin-offs for SMT that there are many other avenues they could explore, or make a new experience all together. SMTV will be their first foray into UE4 which they anticipate making it easier to develop new titles in the future, but I also hope it will allow them to work on new experiences. Then they can step back in think of what constitutes a new Persona game vs any other ideas they have.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd expect spinoffs, maybe some stuff actually built in the P5 engine (opposed to strictly P4-style spinoffs) well before we ever get P6.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on whether they get new talent working on it or wait for Hashino to finish up his project. Hashino and co. are the golden geese of Atlus right now - as is Persona, so I'm inclined to think they'll wait while continuing with spin-offs.

Oct 29, 2017
If it takes time, it takes time. Though, they probably are going to make various other side games and potentially a "Golden" version of Persona 5 (and potentially 3) first, IMO.

If it does take that long, I really hope they spend more time on dungeon design because that, more than anything, soured me on the end of my first (and currently only) playthrough of Persona 5. It was neat to see not randomly generated dungeons for once (Mementos, while great, looked the same, every floor, with just a minor color palate and tile change), but some of them were REAL stinkers.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
4-5 years sounds about right.

The game is like 100 hours long, will take me that long to finish it in any case. I think a 4-5 year cycle is great for many reasons:

1 - The core loop and narrative is fairly similar, so doing it more often would be repetitive
2 - Building a huge new plot and setting takes a long time, and the depth of the settings is enormous
3 - All the spin offs and merchandise add to the experience in the years following the core game - Anime, Dancing, Arena, Q, maybe more in the future

So I'd look at the roadmap something like this

2017 - Persona 5 release
2018 - Persona 5 Dancing + Anime
2019 - Persona 5 Q and Arena
2020 - Announcement of Persona 6
2021 - Persona 6

Could also have one extra year of teasing, that would take Persona 6 to 2022.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it will take that long this time but they'll definitely milk Persona 5 before the next game as they've done with 3 and 4. Have they announced a persona 5 anime yet? It's only a matter of time if not.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With how well 5 sold I'm sure we'll see it quicker. Although I felt done with the formula of the last three games with 5 so hopefully they take their time to do something new.

Exebiel

I'm very positive about a Persona sequel around 4 years since they crafted a lot of new assets for P5, you can tell they made a great work doing all those personas models and animations, that GUI was so good but I'm glad everyone who played P5 accepted the game engine they used and was recommended by Katsura Hashino.

It's quite trendy about the Persona sales number taking advantage from SMT sales number. ATLUS had a great year indeed (I mean SEGA too) but yeah, just wait 4 years overall, it will happen.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll give Persona 5 a couple years to simmer, put out some spinoffs and an updated edition (like FES or Golden), and then Persona 6 around probably 2020 at the soonest (maaybe late 2019). Definitely shouldn't be another 8 year wait.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'll use some of that time for proper localization this time around :v