• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Most likely since Hashino & Co. are working on a different game.

Unless they get someone else to direct it (Please not the Tokyo Mirage Sessions guys).

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect it to take 9, but I expect 5+. But hopefully with SMT 5 and Hashino's new project that will dampen the blow.

Also weren't they testing the HD waters with Catherine?

Most likely since Hashino & Co. are working on a different game.

Unless they get someone else to direct it (Please not the Tokyo Mirage Sessions guys).

I remember reading Hashino is done with the series.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will be that long of a wait, but it depends on a lot of factors. We still don't know who the new leads will be.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I think we will see it within three or four years from now

However it will be from a different director and notably worse

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2016 for P5, so in hoping it can make it late 2019 or 2020. The earthquake, index collapsing, and the move to a new gen really hit them hard. UE4 should help with development as they're already using it for SMTV.
It'll be exciting to see what the new team for the Persona series will come up with, since the regulars are off making something new.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's basically just more in the existing mold, probably won't take too long. However if the new director(s) want to reinvent the series... Could be a minute.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Right now I'd be happy enough if I knew whether Persona 5 Rouge will be out by the end of next year. We can worry about the new team and P6 after that.

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not 9 years, but 5-6 is a safe bet. I'm excited for the new fantasy IP the Persona team is working on anyway.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Nah i hope they take the P5 engine for P6. It would make the time between games shorter.

Its gonna be some years until P6 but not 9 years again.

Already get hype for green Persona 6 with female protagonist!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
latest

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess 4-5 years after the release of 5 with an enhanced version of 5 about 2.5-3 years after its release.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i want some remakes and ports. a definiteve version of 3, handheld 5, maybe the port of 2 fully localized.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. We'll have to see who is making it exactly first. Maybe there'll be quick turn-around or the series will meander for a while.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It entirely depends on Atlus. They're still set in their ways in some regards; hopefully one of those ways isn't "let's build an entirely new engine for a sequel" like Japanese devs used to do constantly. If they reuse the P5 tech, or maybe make the jump to U4 or another middleware engine, I can expect one in maybe another three years.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying "it will be faster with P5's success". The same could be said about Persona 4's success and it still took a long time to make P5.

Yeah, that increased because it's a HD game, but I still wouldn't expect a P6 soon. Atlus has other games and they probably have multimedia project and spin-offs for P5 planned for the next years.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
With how big Persona 5 is as a game, in terms of both content and likelihood of getting milked the way P4 was, I'm not expecting Persona 6 any time soon. And honestly, I dunno if I want it within the next few years in the first place. I'm happy with Persona 5 and I'd like them to take their time with Persona 6 to make it something really unique and different from the last few games. It's time for another series overhaul imo and I don't want them to rush it. I don't want it to take 9 years if it doesn't have to but I don't feel like I need a new Persona game in the next two or three years.

This, I rather Atlus take their time and came out with something different for Persona 6.

They are going to take their time and still reuse the same formula, aren't they?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The SMT5 team had a quote that was not flattering to the P5 engine, he said something about development going much faster or smoother with UE4 than P5s engine.
Considering the P5 engine is using a modified version a gamebryo, an engine that isn't even officially supported by the creators anymore, I can see why.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm being rather optimistic here, but the time between 4 and 5 was long because of extenuating circumstances. I think we'll get Persona 6 around Fall 2021, with an announcement around E3 2020 being possible.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can see a B Team working on Persona 6 using the Persona 5 engine. ATLUS usually makes games in 2's.

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
I can see a B Team working on Persona 6 using the Persona 5 engine. ATLUS usually makes games in 2's.

I don't think they would let the B team work on their biggest and most important series.

I hope they will take their time. P4 used many assets and was in general lacking new features as a sequel, because it came just two years after P3.

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
You can't rush great games.

Whomever is eventually going to make P6 should take their time and make the best next persona entry possible.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope not. After playing P4 for the first time and having recently started P5, I actually want to be around for speculation for once. Maybe not the months of waiting without info like P5 allegedly had, but still.

I have very low hopes after how infamous P4 was or being milked, and P5 has only been more successful and the spinofs have already started. Expecting the wait to be very long. This is the one time Persona fans DON'T want more days between now and the next story event

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's going to be a big enough gap that any indie who wants to make a Persona-like before Persona 6 comes out will have plenty of time to do so.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the ps4 version looked great. I hope they make another with that engine and give us another game in less than 5 years. Would hate for another damn near decade wait.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possibly, we'll see a P3 remake before then though.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. There were several factors why there was such a large gap between P4 and P5:

1) The transition to HD development
hit many developers really hard. They wrote their own new engine for P5 and updating all the demon models to HD standards took a long time
2) The collapse of Index, Atlus' prior parent company
3) Catherine. After P4, P Studio made that first to familiarize themselves with HD development.

Also keep in mind that P5 is Atlus' biggest game yet in terms of sheer volume (and Atlus isn't the biggest studio in the first place). These things, they take time.
I do think we're gonna see P6 faster, 2020/2021 is my guess.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the new P-Studio staff is going to make a Golden Playhouse spin-off first as a warming-up title of sorts. I don't expect them to tackle P6 right away just like that.

I think there's going to be a big enough gap that any indie who wants to make a Persona-like before Persona 6 comes out will have plenty of time to do so.
I see where you're going with this. Definitely going to keep an eye on any announcements :P
Time to give the people what they want: romanceable male party members and a FeMC option!

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 came out in 2007 (2006 for Japan). Persona 4 came out in 2008. Persona 5 came out in 2017 (2016 for Japan).

Will Persona 6 take as long to come out? I want to believe no. I think, like a lot of Japanese devs, Atlus got hit hard by the introduction of HD consoles, and development tools that weren't suited for them, unlike the West that had been making games for PC since forever. Since last gen, Japan seems to have recovered by succeeding in making their own engines, but also thanks to the introduction of Japanese support for Unreal Engine 4.

So with that in mind, I have to believe that Atlus has the tools and the know-how to make Persona 6 in a reasonable amount of time.

Right?

Atlus struggled with P5's engine. They arent as big as other devs and they ain't technical wizards.

I am not sure if they will do P6 fast, considering the enhanced rerelease of P5 isn't even out yet.

If it has to be 4K on PS5, I can see them taking a long time.

However if SMT5 can have a quick turnaround from using UE4 (no sure thing at this time), then things look better for P6.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
It depends of the route they take. If they're smart, they can also do a Persona 4 remaster with P5 engine, I'm sure the fanbase would jump on it since it's a very beloved title. The only thing that hold P4 from being a masterpiece is the fact that the graphics are ok at best. Give it the gloss of P5 engine and modelisation and I'm sure it would be a massive hit.

Persona 3 is less likely since you have to adjust the pace of the game and rework the tartarus to not get trashed by the reviews and the new players.

So yes, if they ever think about making a grand remaster of P4, P6 could come very late.

Ligero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we're seeing Persona 6 for a very long time. Not on PS4 thats for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if the first Persona on PS5 (or whatever it'll be called) is a P4Golden type experience for P5.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh id rather they do something new. P5 was extremely disappointing, the same ol formula is getting tiring. (imo ofc)

Bleedgreen007

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Murica
I'm hoping familiarity with UE4 will shorten the wait. Atlus would be throwing money away if they didn't start development on Persona 6 after SMT V releases.