• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
The days of PCs getting games just not possible on console are long gone (crysis, half life 2, doom 3). Now days it's mainly a way to run console ports at higher settings/frame rates. I built my gaming pc knowing this and I'm happy with it, but you really aren't missing much with only consoles other than higher settings imo.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
To be fair, this is basically the Pro (maybe Pro+) option for PCs marketed for a specific auidience. The majority of PC gaming is still done on games with very modest requirements.
Also, according to steam stats most people go for mid settings:

jEiZFTg.png

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The days of PCs getting games just not possible on console are long gone (crysis, half life 2, doom 3). Now days it's mainly a way to run console ports at higher settings/frame rates. I built my gaming pc knowing this and I'm happy with it, but you really aren't missing much with only consoles other than higher settings imo.

This just isn't true. A ton of PC gaming is on games that don't exist on consoles. "Better console" is a use case for a PC but it's not the main one by any stretch.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that, but people always bring up "Games can look way better on PC!" as an argument.
Which is true, but not for 500 dollars they sure the fuck can't.
Depends on your priorities. I prefer how 60 FPS looks over high resolution 30 FPS.
I like having control over anisotropic filtering and things like chromatic aberration.

Consoles don't prioritize these things and look worse to me, even if they're running at 4K.
I'm sure it will run anything, but not at high settings that "blow away" consoles. Also, I notice no monitor is included. So unless you plan on outputting to your TV (Which I admit you could do if you wanted to) you are going to have to drop a couple hundred on a decent monitor to take advantage of those PC graphics.
As above, it depends on your priorities. Playing everything at ≥60 FPS with a keyboard and mouse "blows away" what consoles offer in my opinion.
And I know you are going to argue that a PS or Xbox requires a TV to work, and yes I know this. The catch is here basically everyone already owns a TV for other reasons, it's usually not something you need to purchase with your console unless you are very young and just starting out int he real world.
If you have a TV for the consoles, you have a TV for the PC too.
It's not really a valid complaint to say that you have to buy a monitor for the PC if you don't count buying a TV for the console.
And even if you spend $200 or so on a high refresh rate monitor, that build is still below $1000. Not "thousands".

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Again. Not all games need fast gameplay. Not all games have the same gameplay. I don't want the last of us to be fast, I want to be whatever the creators want it to be. Slow. Why destroy it?

GTA is a game that could support fast gameplay more than RDR2.
The advantage of PC is that the choice is yours. If you want to play Burnout at 10fps then you can.
The other advantages that PC will always have over console is the fact that you can always download more RAM and add RGB lighting to increase FPS in all your games.

bekdjo1hpciz.jpg

Sony and MS really screwed up by not touting RGB customization on their next console.
I've quickly become a true believer in PC gaming this year and I'm not sure I could live without it again. But one thing I really don't understand about PC gaming and baffles the hell out of me is the obsession when RGB disco lights nonsense. My PC motherboard and GPU with all that shit by default as it was unavoidable, but luckily the PC is hidden away in a store room. What's next, a fucking mirror-ball attachment?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to have declined. Maybe it's wrong by the numbers and just a perception issue but feels like not as many games support modding.
Depends on the games you're looking at. The Endless games fully support modding, all Paradox games, xcom scene is roaring.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
To put it bluntly I have more control over my PC. It's graphics capabilities, when I have to upgrade, graphics settings, prices, online cost, etc.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What are the big AAA PC exclusives?

It sounds like all you've ever viewed PC as is a faster console. Which is fine, as Anno said, that's certainly a use case for PCs. But for many people, that's not why they play on PC. There are a genres and certain types of games that either start on PC or are just only on PC. Looking at this industry through this AAA, console skewed lens results in some pretty large blind spots.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
There arguably aren't any until Star Citizen releases unless you count something like the Total War games. But I don't see how that's really relevant to what you wrote.

I maybe wasn't clear. There used to big games that really pushed the limits of what was technically possible on PC. Now there really aren't any, and that was one of the big advantages to PC gaming, it really helped justify the extra expense.

Deleted member 30124

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Many games are significantly improved by the lower latency and better control methods offered on PC.

This is all true. Playing a shooter at a higher frame rate will result in lower latency and more precise/responsive aim/turns when using a mouse. But the argument that a shooter can't be considered a "masterpiece" or great based on its own merits if its locked to a device that only supports 30fps and a controller is pretty far-fetched.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Thankyou for the feedback and response, Since you're also an OLED owner it helps my decision. If it's a case of boot game, Switches to HDR mode then that's all i need to hear as that's what i'm used too. I assume you played all those games at the highest settings? Since you dropped the resolution to maintain that 60. Yeah if the next consoles hit 4K/60 maybe they'll stick to low-medium-high mixture of settings since devs squeeze more juice out of the hardware. I'm just looking for 4K60/HDR at highest possible settings.

Generally max settings yeah. If I'm not hitting 60 fps and there's a setting I can turn down with minimal visual impact I'll turn it down. Like in RE2 Remake I had to turn volumetric lighting down 1 tick to maintain 60 at 4k. If there's no one setting I feel is worth the sacrifice that's when I'll turn the resolution down to 1800p and keep everything at max. As a personal preference I also turn off stuff like depth of field, motion blur, and useless postprocessing features like chromatic aberration, lens distortion, etc.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I maybe wasn't clear. There used to big games that really pushed the limits of what was technically possible on PC. Now there really aren't any, and that was one of the big advantages to PC gaming, it really helped justify the extra expense.
Actually, the newest multiplatform AAA games can also do that kind of job just fine. You can't simply run AC Odyssey at 4K 60fps. RTX 2080 can only run it at 40~ fps.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'm sure it will run anything, but not at high settings that "blow away" consoles.
It will blow away the enhanced consoles. Without a doubt.

And I know you are going to argue that a PS or Xbox requires a TV to work, and yes I know this. The catch is here basically everyone already owns a TV for other reasons, it's usually not something you need to purchase with your console unless you are very young and just starting out int he real world.
This doesn't mean the cost of the TV is not included as part of your console setup. Everything you connect to it adds up and TV is required. Not optional like a surround sound system that you also may already have. Someone can have a desktop PC but not a graphics card you can't say the price of entry is for the graphics card only.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Star Citizen? Metro Exodus? Consoles can't even dream about RTX or HBAO+. Even 99% off PCs out there can't (RTX). Lol

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The advantage of PC is that the choice is yours. If you want to play Burnout at 10fps then you can.

I've quickly become a true believer in PC gaming this year and I'm not sure I could live without it again. But one thing I really don't understand about PC gaming and baffles the hell out of me is the obsession when RGB disco lights nonsense. My PC motherboard and GPU with all that shit by default as it was unavoidable, but luckily the PC is hidden away in a store room. What's next, a fucking mirror-ball attachment?

We're getting there.

img-ambient-link.jpg

Green

Oct 27, 2017

What PC are you using? Plenty of games these days can make even the pricier systems sweat. Like every day there's something. Try running Quake II RT lol

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact I'm playing Witcher 3 on max around 75-144 FPS (at 1080p) along with a mod that fixes any blurry textures says it all.

And stuff like Java Minecraft with its thousand of mods with mod packs, many different shaders and 100's of free texture packs wouldn't exist either, which brings ridiculous value to that game. I wouldn't have thousands of hours in that game without them.

Old games like Morrowind would be stuck in its old form of not being widescreen, no shaders, 100's of game breaking bugs, low muddy textures and so on.

Not to mention I love completely controlling what I kind of hardware I have. Make it my own.

There's like 50 other things I could say, but a lot of them are listed in here I'm sure.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

That's just not what I took from your post. I still think there are plenty of games that push the limit of what a PC can do in ways a console can't, they just aren't with high-end technical graphics.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's just you.

I feel the advantages of consoles diminishing considering you can't upgrade them without buying the pro version and modding will always be huge for me no matter the game.

That's why I enjoyed enderal as it felt like a new game to play even though it was still skyrim

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in PC than ever. Lots of indie games. 60 fps. Great emulators with retroarch. More and more DRM-free games. Free online.

Denuvo and other DRM is killing it a bit for me lately for bigger PC titles, but I'm usually not that interested in most of those games anyway.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
WoW, Black desert, Total War? And why should we just give fucks about AAA?
I mean really lmao. A lot of the fun I've had playing games recently haven't been AAA it's all been indie games which are loads more fun then most the cookie cutter garbo that is getting pushed

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Yah dude I stopped replying to his nonsense afew pages back. When he told me production value or whatever is the future over 144hz At 1440p and g sync and Ray Tracing wasn't a game changed in Metro I realized I wasn't gonna get into it.

The reply about last of us and RDR2 being being ruined with kB+M killed me though.

But man just think about how much 'production value' you can achieve at 720p and 20 FPS. You resolution and fps chasers don't know what your missing.

Optimus Lime

Oct 27, 2017

This is kind of a disingenuous question. You know full well that the PC doesn't fall under a 'platform holder' structure, as with the Playstation, Xbox, or Switch. The 'big AAA console exclusives' are almost completely due to sponsorship by platform holders in order to promote their physical hardware. Hence, Sony views Uncharted/God Of War as an important plank in the visibility and promotion of their hardware sales.

No one company owns 'the PC', and as such, platform sponsorship of this kind is simply not the business model that the PC market operates through - and never really has been.

If the question is what AAA games does the PC currently get? The answer is, obviously, all of them - unless sponsored for exclusivity by platform holders.

Asking for the PC equivalent of God Of War is, as you well know, ridiculous. But, that's okay. I'd rather play every AAA release to it's full potential on a PC.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

Except Total War Three Kingdoms literally just came out. I'd love to see the notebook CPUs in the current consoles try to run that.

5bff9f86ae653a9149789c65

Countdown to doesn't count because strategy, mouse, not a third person shooter..

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Building a PC was easy 10 years ago, and it's only gotten easier. I no longer have to endlessly search for drivers anymore, the building process has been streamlined, and a lot of the pre-made builds are now reasonable in price.

Nvidia GPU prices are higher, yes, but you have options. A GTX 970, now 2 generations back, can still run the latest games at 1080p @ 60FPS (Metro Exodus runs on medium-high above 60). The card came out 5 years ago!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The last time I upgraded my PC was in 2015, when process of purchasing and installing a new graphics card (970), motherboard, RAM and power supply cost me a total of $700. I felt good about my purchase, despite the steep price, because the perks of PC gaming were plentiful compared to the struggling tech of the original PS4 and XB1.

Flash forward to 2019, and I'm not feeling as confident in plopping down another $500+ when it feels like so many of the PC's defining advantages as a platform have quietly eroded while it's flaws have been magnified. These days, most consoles have access to resolution and performance options, cloud saves, digital flash sales, mods for compatible games, etc. While these features are far from perfect on console, they are slowly being refined with each hardware iteration, leaving PC feeling like a less unique and appealing choice (not to mention being overly expensive by comparison).

Diminishing Advantages:

Cheaper Games: While the era of amazing flash sales on Steam was already gone in 2015, key-resellers were still going really strong. It was common to see most brand-new, AAA games on GMG and cdKeys available to preorder for $40 or less. These days, more and more big publishers like Ubisoft are region-locking their keys, and platforms like the Epic Game Store have a tighter grip on their games' prices than I've seen in the past.

Modding: This is one of the few advantages that still feels largely intact, though it's scope has always been a bit limited. Fewer and fewer games are friendly to modding, with even the most recent Bethesda and Bioware releases being always online and thus mostly un-moddable. Big publishers like Rockstar have tried to kill the massive modding scene for their top title on more than one occasion, while others like Bethesda have attempted to monetize their scene to squeeze extra profits out of other people's work.

Cheats/Customization: Separate from modding, I'd define this as using tools like Cheat Engine to edit your game in more basic and fundamental ways. Things like making enemies more aggressive in Dark Souls, removing class restrictions for skills/weapons in Dragon's Dogma or letting you play as Vergil in DMC5, greatly increasing replay value with little effort. The noose is tightening around this option, as more publishers bake anticheat measures into their games and send cease-and-desists to the creators of cheat tables and trainers (Capcom has done both with Monster Hunter World, Techland added VAC to Dying Light in 2017, etc). Customization, like modding, has also suffered from the rise of always-online games (which often feature a ton of grinding and microtransactions that you could probably skip/invalidate in under a minute with any memory editor).

Growing Flaws:

Inconvenience: Where to even start? The half-dozen different launchers to play each year's big releases? The digital Russian-Roulette of installing Windows 10 updates? I'm sure some true veteran PC gamers (I began in 2007) will say that things have never been easier, but that's more of a statement on how dismal it was in the past than how "good" it is now.

Hardware Prices: They've always been ludicrous, but I feel like the average mid-line GPU releases at $100+ more than it did in 2015. Obviously the crypto boom can be blamed for this, along with Nvidia's relative monopoly over the market, but still. At least decent RAM isn't $200 anymore, right?

Speculative Bullshit: When will we start seeing online multiplayer being locked behind paywalls on certain launchers?

So, am I alone in feeling this way? Or has PC gaming quietly lost a big chunk of its luster this gen?
Do note that i haven't read the whole thread but this is my opinion on the OP:
  • Cheaper Games - highly disagree that PC still isn't a lot cheaper then consoles. A new console game costs 70€ (in Portugal there usually aren't any pre-order discounts), PC usually has at the very least 15% discount.
  • Modding - The games you mention are generally made with console first mentality so they do indeed lack modding features. Games made for PC like stellaris, three kingdoms, civilizations can still be heavily modded
  • Cheats - i don't use them so i can't comment.
  • Inconvenience - every thing here is quite a bit disingenuous. The different launchers are only for big game tittles which generally speaking are some of the worst games released on PC. Most games except those bought by EGS are released in several stores, so you can use the client you like the most. You talk about W10 updates yet, whenever I boot up my consoles they have big patches, slow infrastructure and many games require patches to play them. If i ahve my console not updated to latest firmware, i can't even access the shop. Consoles don't let you handle multiple controllers; for example why can't i use my xbox one controller on my PS4? Why can't i use my ps4 controller with my switch? Weirdly enough it is faster to update my gtx 1070 drivers then my ps4 updates...
  • hardware prices: PC are a bit more expensive but it is also much easier to find parts then 10 years ago (at least here in Portugal). While hardware might be a bit more expensive it is also lasts much more in terms of performance. A CPU with 5 years ago is still enough to play most games at 1080p, many GPUs have also lasted quite a while. My laptop has a 1060 3GB and can run many titles well at 1080p. Consoles have indded kept the same price
I also want to add the following that you seemed to have ignored but i think it is important:
  • Steam is by miles the best storefront of any gaming store. From the freedom to choose whatever controller you want, to big picture going through refunds. Steam features eclipse whatever other store on the market. I want to underline 1 feature which i think would be great if every store implemented it. "family sharing". I enjoy it a LOT. I buy a hidden gem game that my friends don't think it is worth buying? here play on my account and prepare to be amazed!
  • PC you can choose your hardware while in consoles you can't. What do i mean for this? i enjoy strategy games so i like strong CPUs and a good SSD to decrease loading times. Consoles invest in the GPU a lot which for me is not that important. The lack of choice hurts my gaming budget.
  • Paying for online/ cloud saves. In PC market you don't pay to access the online portion of a game. This can easily offset the cost of the hardware (assuming you buy a subscription for 4-5 years)
  • Consoles (most of the time) have fixed graphics. So why is this really bad? I enjoy strategy games where FPS matter very little, so if the game has a stable 30 FPS maybe you want to increase the AA instead of the texture quality, or vice versa.
  • For those with disposable income PC has a lot of features like G-sync which don't exist on console. You will also have a much smoother experience playing a game with middle to high end PC then with a console.
  • Repairs. When your console breaks down you have essential 1 choice - buy another. In the PC you can just change the part that is not working. (not sure if it is true in other countries but in Portugal it is almost impossible to find someone to repair your console)

In short PC is still far superior and has far more advantages NOW then it did a while ago. But like it has always been if you only buy the mainstream titles such as fifa, call of duty, etc. then PC might not be that advantageous when compared to a (high end) console. If you are a gamer that has varied tastes and play a multitude of genres then PC will be better almost for sure when compared to a console.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
And low framerate makes input lag even worse??? Do you know that? That is the main problem with framerates???

No need to be condescending. Yes I know that. There's input lag on TOP of that in most of the biggest games. Do you know that??? I play on PC far more than any other system overall. Don't paint everyone who doesn't agree with you as ignorant.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the opposite now that I feel like my hardware seems to be staying relevant a lot longer and still get better performance than consoles. And by the time I'd really have to upgrade, the hardware will be a lot cheaper. More and more games are multiplatform these days, too. I've never been less interested in consoles as someone who used to own them all.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No need to be condescending. Yes I know that. There's input lag on TOP of that in most of the biggest games. Do you know that??? I play on PC far more than any other system overall. Don't paint everyone who doesn't agree with you as ignorant.

Than why you wrote "The input lag that most of those games have is the far worse offender than the framerate imo. But yeah, I get tired of the 60fps obsession."? 60+ fps means less lag that the game already have. It's not an obsession.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It sounds like all you've ever viewed PC as is a faster console. Which is fine, as Anno said, that's certainly a use case for PCs. But for many people, that's not why they play on PC. There are a genres and certain types of games that either start on PC or are just only on PC. Looking at this industry through this AAA, console skewed lens results in some pretty large blind spots.
Speaking of, wouldn't Anno count as a AAA exclusive?
The problem with AAA PC exclusives like Total War & Anno, they are not cinematic action games so a lot of people pass on them. likewise AA PC exclusives like Frostpunk & Battletech get ignored too.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
These discussions always end the same way lol
Honestly if you look objectively at the end of the day PC Gaming offers more options and that's something that consoles will never achieve because of the own nature of each plataform : open plataform vs closed plataform.
And I say this as a console player only nowadays.
But when we talk about preferences there is no such thing as objectively cause preferences are based on personal perspectives wich means their own nature is subjective.
Even less options can be something positive on a personal point of view.
The way I see things PCs and consoles both have been converting into the 'same' thing for a long time and that's something positive looking at consumer perspective because a lot of positive stuff that used to be only on one of them is now shared by both, even tho there is also negatives aspects of both plataforms being shared across this unifying process. But I still think the positive ones overshadow the negatives one so far.
What I don't understand everytime we have these discussions is why instead of showing your own personal preferences/experiences and why for you one plataform or other suits you better people chose to just downplay others preferences based on their own lol
Of course that it's a lot of hot takes for both sides around here - and I must say that the hottest ones seems to come from people that never gamed on PCs lol - but what's even the point of engaging with these posts ?
Feels like instead of showing/discussing different points of views, and maybe with this educate/help someone to learn more about the cons and pros of each plataform, these kind of threads are doomed to always end with "mine is better than yours" discussions, wich is pointless cause there is no better or worse thing when it comes to preferences.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol it's just you. Consoles have thier place but PC has better framerate (144 hz amazing and g sync too and if you haven't tried it you should), Resolution, modding to fix games and improve them either though gamplay, graphics, and other features, PC exclusive titles, the ability to play games that other consoles are locked out from (Cuphead, Detroit, Octopath, Street Fighter V, and many more), access to the best VR headsets, free online, and many many more things. Not to mention emulation where you can take your games and play them in resolutions and framerates that were never possible.

In my opinion, PC gaming is the best it's ever been. I remember way back in 2000-2001 it was really hard to get games that were on console. Stuff like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, and other games of that kind would almost never be on PC and you've be pretty much stuck with but now you can even play some games that are first party console exclusives on PC at times. Some genres are also harder to implement on console and are much more popular on PC such as RTS, Mobas, and City builders due to how mouse and keyboard controls work for those games and that being the default input solution for PC vs a controller for consoles.

Price will always be an issue but with AMD coming out swinging on the CPUs and RAM going down in price finally, maybe this will change. the rtx super cards seem to offer much better performance for money too (assuming they sell for msrp lol). Epic Game Store is wack too.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
About moding you're wrong, moders doesn't care if a game has support or not, as a example take Monster Hunter World:
image.png

I mean hell one of the moders (MHhexhexhex, this guy edited everything he could about the game to the point that he made a mod called Hex World and here is the description "A mod that modifies most game values to create a diff mhw experience") ended up going to work for Capcom.
Sekiro just received a Bloodborne combat mod were it shifts the focus from defense and deflect to evades, also a game without mod support.
All those new Capcom games like DMCV and Resident Evil 2 has a bunch of mods, none of them has official support.
Mods are one of the main things that keep me firmly on PC gaming.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not interested in those games, and I have enough of a backlog of PS4/Switch games to justify adding to it!

In my case, it would mean buying a Windows gaming PC just for gaming as opposed to a gaming PC + day-to-day computer, which at current prices is a very bad personal investment. Nor do I really have the space in my place for a full-on rig.

Mostly I try to keep things minimal.

It's clear you've made your choice, and arguing gets no one anywhere, but I was just pointing out there's PC games worth owning that aren't on the Mac / PS4. As convenient as it may be you're not interested in any games on PC/Xbox (and not on Mac/PS4/Switch), there's no end to the number of great games one could enjoy in those criteria imo.

Space is also pretty relative. My current gaming PC is actually an All-in-One monitor. So my gaming rig occupies the desktop space of the monitor, that's it. You could go even smaller (I mean a 30" monitor still has a large footprint) and just have a mini ATX case the size of a console or whatever, but it's always more a matter of need than it is ability. If the need / desire is great enough, you can get a "gaming pc" one way or another, in a compact space, even a slim gaming laptop not much bigger than an iPad could do wonders if you wanted such. But you don't, and that's perfectly fine too.

Nice headphones, I have the same pair in bluetooth along with an AKG712 for open backed /wired listening which I enjoy even more).

When it comes down to it though, PC or Mac, or whatever, it's just so damn nice to have all those options the platform brings. Multiple displays, gaming in a window, higher framerates, gsync, quick alt+tab, etc etc. Really does everything and more.

Oct 27, 2017
About moding you're wrong, moders doesn't care if a game has support or not, as a example take Monster Hunter World:
image.png

I mean hell one of the moders (MHhexhexhex, this guy edited everything he could about the game to the point that he made a mod called Hex World and here is the description "A mod that modifies most game values to create a diff mhw experience") ended up going to work for Capcom.
Sekiro just received a Bloodborne combat mod were it shifts the focus from defense and deflect to evades, also a game without mod support.
All those new Capcom games like DMCV and Resident Evil 2 has a bunch of mods, none of them has official support.
Mods are one of the main things that keep me firmly on PC gaming.

Clear Hunter and Hex World Mods are game changers. It's like an entirely new experience for me after playing on PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.