• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a console gamer, but PC is looking way more appealing these days. Why?

• Increased Japanese support
  • True BC. No guessing games like the console holders
  • Free online play
  • Emulation options for basically every major platform
  • Increased controller support
  • Big picture modes
  • More accessories -- choice of VR headsets, controllers, and so on.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Well yes in theory you wouldn't notice it. But in my exoerience motion blur seems to be the one true enemy for PC players because well it does effect image quality in some way. If you don't apply motion blur you will notice the performance differences much easier.
Absolutely, but while in previous years games used to have resolution and that's it as graphical options, the vast majority of games now offer in depth customization. Plus well, g/free sync vastly mitigates any sub 60 framerate dips.

The insane thing is that most posters in this thread willingly choose to compromise. Wich is fine. You do you and all. What's less fine is saying that their compromise is the BETTER option.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There are still HUGE advantages to PV gaming.

For instance: you get 4k on console, but you also get lower frame rates, usually incredibly shallow fov, lower graphical effects... it's not even close.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I never had pleasant experiences with that. Are you using a specific monitor for it? Mine supports free-sync, but I don't have AMD hardware.
I'm not sure what the free-sync support is like on Nvidia cards. I've got a g-sync display, and it seems to work very well with most games, though I have had some weirdness with other non-gaming applications.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel this thread needs to be locked, it feels like of PC users in this thread are just either dog piling at this point or taking pleasure in doing "gotcha" posts, plus the platform wars rhetoric stuff and seeing some of the "PC Master Race" *Sighs at that* stuff appearing, I don't think much value can be added to this thread and just more gloating and upset between users.
Embarrassing post tbh

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Absolutely, but while in previous years games used to have resolution and that's it as graphical options, the vast majority of games now offer in depth customization. Plus well, g/free sync vastly mitigates any sub 60 framerate dips.

The insane thing is that most posters in this thread willingly choose to compromise. Wich is fine. You do you and all. What's less fine is saying that their compromise is the BETTER option.
Whatever fits your playstyle best I guess. I don't think there is a BETTER option when talking about PC gaming settings. Some people still play shooters on lowest settings with an insane low resolution. I don't really get the apeal, but sure why not. If you like to play your games this way, you should.

I'm not sure what the free-sync support is like on Nvidia cards. I've got a g-sync display, and it seems to work very well with most games, though I have had some weirdness with other non-gaming applications.
There us no free-sync support for Nvidia cards afaik...

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to play games on my PC mostly depending on the game. Right now I've been on a Destiny 2 kick, it runs well and feels great. Chances are if I'm playing some more cinematic third person game I'd rather play that on my TV.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a console gamer, but PC is looking way more appealing these days. Why?

• Increased Japanese support
  • True BC. No guessing games like the console holders
  • Free online play
  • Emulation options for basically every major platform
  • Increased controller support
  • Big picture modes
  • More accessories -- choice of VR headsets, controllers, and so on.
this + Ultra Widescreen (i don't want to go back to 16:9)

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
I didn't notice a huge difference going from 60 to 144 Hz, but playing at high/ultra settings at 60 FPS on my TV with a controller is pretty nice. Destiny 2 in particular is hard to go back to on Xbox. I also leave motion blur on and think it looks good though so what do I know.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

If you read the article there's a lot of loops you need to check to use a freesync monitor (out of like 1,000s only a dozen worked automatically) and you need a newer GPU (not just any gsync GPU can work with freesync) and if things aren't working right between the two things it could actually make it look worse. Seems to me you're better off just sticking with a gsync monitor if you don't want to have as much trouble or don't want to bother fussing around?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I disagree. From a cost perspective,PC gaming costs cheaper if you aim for a similar hardware capability with that of a console. You don't pay for online access,this alone saves you around $250 in 5 years. Key resellers also have a big price difference compared to console keys,especially in the early months of a game's launch.

Also don't forget that a PC is a multipurpose device,something that a console is not. So you get 2 for the price of 1 when you buy a PC.

If you were an only console guy,you'd still had to have a desktop PC even basic one,which would still cost a certain amount of money. So a console+basic PC combo costs always way more than a standalone gaming PC.

If you wanna go the extra mile,you have the ability to hit high end performance with both high resolutions+ high fps count,where consoles still can't match high end PCs. Of course it's gonna cost you more,but it's there as an option.

customization and modability is still a huge plus compared to the closed hardware and software of consoles.

The problem is that there's a myth that PC gaming is expensive,because you either go buy the most expensive GPU atm or nothing. There's an incredible mid-tier range of value for money options that many newcomers don't know about and the things I talked about in the first paragraph that makes it way cheaper in the long run

PS: PC has also a big range of exclusives,although mostly in the online spectrum
Disagreed. A good pre-built PC would cost $1000+, and maybe you could build one for cheaper, but it would require getting the parts separately and building yourself (something I'm far to intimidate by to ever attempt, lol). Also, the idea that everyone has a Desktop these days is kinda absurd, isn't it? I don't have one anymore, and I honestly don't know anyone who does outside of businesses and such. They are big, bulky, and expensive.

For me, all I need is to be able to browse the web, check my email, stream some videos, and maybe print out the occasional coupon. My Chromebook, Phone, and Tablets all have that covered. No need for video editing or anything crazy on my end. So I'd be building from the ground up (or rather, buying pre-built), just for gaming. At the very least in my case, it would be a huge expense compared to Consoles (not to mention I would still need a PS4 and Switch and their respective memberships anyway for their exclusives, which I love).

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Its diminishing true,but not completely yet. Competitive gaming best experience is still on pc and probably we need another gen or mid upgrade to catch up with the inevitable 240fps .

The rest are pretty much diminishing especially with next gen I'm pretty sure so many sony exclusives will look 10 times better than any pc game on market.

So yee you are right they are. Kinda happy for all people to have close experience to what pc does and it will only make cross platform games easier and easier.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They are big, bulky, and expensive.
Not really since they invented mITX, but I suppose 700-800 dollars is more than 400.

FHud9z1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.