• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It's better than ever for me since Japanese devs/pubs have warmed up to Steam quite nicely and we keep getting (formerly) 3rd-party exclusives on the platform like Octopath. Not to mention MicroSoft has basically just given us all their exclusives as well.

Definitely I also enjoy the graphics and frame-rate advantages, being able to slap ReShade on everything, being able to use any controller I want, etc... I'm also heavily into mods and cheats, and I don't think it's really diminished at all? Sometimes you have to be more pro-active and search harder or maybe get your own hands dirty but the tools are out there and people keep making them...

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Clear Hunter and Hex World Mods are game changers. It's like an entirely new experience for me after playing on PS4.
Improved NPC Locations and Add Quest Board to Gathering Hub for me, can't play without them anymore, so fast and dynamic to simply go back to the gathering hub and everybody is right there.
Also just remember another perk of PC gaming, EDF at 60fps! EDF! EDF! EDF!
Like Echo just said, Japanese support for PC combined with PC mods and tinkering made such a amazing platform to preserve and play those games with a better experience.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I'm on the same boat as you, OP. But you're not going to win this argument here.

I've been finding playing games on console more convenient and cost effective in the long term. I bought and xbox one S and then an X which came to a total $700 bucks together (I sold the S eventually). I got my GTX 1080 for $800 alone. Then there was some driver issue which caused my screen to flicker randomly due to Gsync. I have the gsync predator 1440p 144hz monitor (which cost $800). I just got The division 2 used for $18 on gamestop used for X1X, couldn't find a keysite that had it for PC any cheaper.

And though it looks good, it takes a lot of tweaking, changes, drivers, etc. to get it to work flawlessly.

I tried riding the modding scene with Skyrim but wasn't worth the trial and error with things half working. Personally, like to play the game the way the devs intended.

Also, Instant on/ Resume is huge game changer. PC gaming have yet to implement anything like that. And no, ALT TAB doesn't always work.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
144hz
100+ FPS
RTX
Graphics
Mods

Short answer, no.

Nailed it. Came to post literally the exact same items. It's you, OP.

PC is still a time sink of tinkering to get many games running smoothly. Its graphical advantages are diminished because people don't tolerate troubleshooting glitches like they used to. Personally, I once loved that feeling of victory when I discovered it was enabling multitexturing that crashed my game due to the Glide API. Figuring that shit out and building a PC was part of the fun!

Now I have a job and family. I just want to play the damn game.

People say this all the time, and it's really not accurate in 2019, unless maybe you're playing an old ass game. You can literally click a button in Geforce Experience that will auto configure settings for you, and you're done. Or you can tinker with all the options. It is up to you.

I know HDR is pretty borked on PC, So as someone that's looking to buy a PC how would i go about utilising my OLED the same way? As i assume youv'e got yours setup and all that. I heard people run 1440p instead but what's the point of that on our OLED's. I want 4K/HDR goodness at top tier settings. HDR is stunning and i don't really wanna lose that.

I have a HDR monitor, and it's been painless for me. Windows has come a long ways with it's HDR implementation.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
PC games are more accessible and customizable than ever, plus emulation and extensive back catalog thats still able to be legitimately acquired. You may have just gotten used to it?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Also, Instant on/ Resume is huge game changer. PC gaming have yet to implement anything like that. And no, ALT TAB doesn't always work.

Actually Durante implemented this on the Trails of Cold Steel PC ports, but those are the only games that do this. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's better than ever for me since Japanese devs/pubs have warmed up to Steam quite nicely and we keep getting (formerly) 3rd-party exclusives on the platform like Octopath. Not to mention MicroSoft has basically just given us all their exclusives as well.

Definitely I also enjoy the graphics and frame-rate advantages, being able to slap ReShade on everything, being able to use any controller I want, etc... I'm also heavily into mods and cheats, and I don't think it's really diminished at all? Sometimes you have to be more pro-active and search harder or maybe get your own hands dirty but the tools are out there and people keep making them...

True. Actually, as of right now, PC is the only platforms where you can play various console exclusives from various platforms, such as Street Fighter 5, God Eater, Halo, Gears of War, Street Fighter X Tekken, Octopath, Bayonetta, Yakuza Kiwami etc.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

Nothing beats iPad/iPhone for this feature, not even consoles. I wish PCs did it the same way. Even just 1 game like Switch would be fine, but my iPhone can instantly resume like 5 different games if I want to, such a nice feature indeed.

If I just just stick games in RAM to have them resume like an iPhone, all my PCs would have like 2TB of ram lol.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Personally diminished awhile back since I have gotten older and lazier and just want to enjoy gaming on the couch and big screen.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
The other advantages that PC will always have over console is the fact that you can always download more RAM and add RGB lighting to increase FPS in all your games.

bekdjo1hpciz.jpg

Sony and MS really screwed up by not touting RGB customization on their next console.

No offense, but I hate the RGB obsession these days. I see every build with RGB everywhere and it just looks awful to me.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
Consoles are still struggling to hit the bare minimum of 60fps
Controllers make shooters slow and frustrating to play
Paying for multiplayer (I get it, I just don't play enough to make it worthwhile)
No/limited mods

Sticking with PC as my main system while my PS4 and Switch collect dust and don't see it changing.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
The only thing that could drag me away from PC was if prices went out of control. I'm a budget minded person who tends to buy mid-range gear. I can put together a new Ryzen gaming build for about $600 aud (mobo, cpu, ram). If an upgrade like that were to cost $1000 or more, I'd probably bail on PC.

I don't really care that much pc-centric things like mods, cheats & emulation. I dabble in this stuff occasionally but that's about it. For me the PC has always been about performance. Hopefully the introduction of SSD and Ryzen CPU's will go a long way to reinvigorating console hardware. I'm looking forward to it.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Play destiny on console, then come back and play it on PC... its actually mind blowing how different of a game it is.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Mods, cheats, emulators, being able to use any controller you choose, and perpetual backward compatibility doesn't seem like a bunch of diminishing advantages to me.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
As much as i love Nintendo games and Gears of War, i'm more excited for the following games than anything releasing on consoles this year.

World of Warcraft Classic
Warcraft 3 Remaster
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anything PC gaming is better than ever . Console exclusivity is diminishing , heh and PC version is most of the time the best version (1440p 144fps max setting ) .

Cheaper games remains true , I bought both RE2 and DMCV for around $50 from GMG during launch , and $19.90 for Control from EGS recently . Try beating these prices on console (?)

From my POV , the console advantages are the one that truly diminished. They are basically PC nowadays locked in a close system with paid subscription for MP .

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the lines are blurring for sure. Top end PC gaming, the things that made expensive PC hardware exciting, just isn't there anymore. It's not 2007, there is no Crysis blowing our minds. More often we're over here on the PC side bitching about a finicky console ports because that's what everything is.

In the 2000s and earlier, PC was its own ballgame. Now enthusiast PCs are for running AAA console games at unlocked framerates. For indie games, you can craigslist a cheap laptop and get your fill.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Play destiny on console, then come back and play it on PC... its actually mind blowing how different of a game it is.
i recently got back into destiny 2 pc after my son decided to pop it into our ps4 pro. the media tv and my pc are in the same room. im over here playing at 90fps on a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor, and i glance over to the tv. its literally fucking disgusting. that pretty much sums up consoles for me.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I need both in my life. I dont always have access to my xbox, my son demands much time with his games, and I prefer some games on PC, or those not available on Xbox. Hello Heavy Rain.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say the lines are blurring for sure. Top end PC gaming, the things that made expensive PC hardware exciting, just isn't there anymore. It's not 2007, there is no Crysis blowing our minds. More often we're over here on the PC side bitching about a finicky console ports because that's what everything is.

In the 2000s and earlier, PC was its own ballgame. Now enthusiast PCs are for running AAA console games at unlocked framerates. For indie games, you can craigslist a cheap laptop and get your fill.

144 fps seems too much a side point to just list like that. For many people there's 144 fps (or at least 60), then there's the crap that runs at 30 or so on consoles. I don't know, I think it's still sort of a big deal.

See the above post.

To me what made PC exciting was never Crysis. It was always the deeper gaming experience not on consoles, the extensive mod scenes, the RTS and TBS / 4X games, and other odd games you'd never see on a console. They just offer stuff consoles don't, and that's still very much true. And why would you ever want to limit your gaming options? I mean we all have limited time, but I want to play what I want to play, not what I have available on what I own. Consoles, handhelds, PCs, mobile, they're all just gates to prevent you from playing a game. Have access to all of it, then play what you really want.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
As much as i love Nintendo games and Gears of War, i'm more excited for the following games than anything releasing on consoles this year.

World of Warcraft Classic
Warcraft 3 Remaster
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition

The newest of those came out 15 years ago (originally). I think you are kind of reinforcing ops point.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
True. Actually, as of right now, PC is the only platforms where you can play various console exclusives from various platforms, such as Street Fighter 5, God Eater, Halo, Gears of War, Street Fighter X Tekken, Octopath, Bayonetta, Yakuza Kiwami etc.

Seriously. As a single platform there's no beating PC in terms of variety and number of games. PC genres, Japanese games, Xbox games, third party games, backwards compatibility, Indies and emulation. I'm happy splurging on a computer because I'm literally getting access to many times more content than any other platform on the market. And its worth it just for the actual PC exclusive genres on its own, everything else is a bonus.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
The newest of those came out 15 years ago (originally). I think you are kind of reinforcing ops point.

Not really, Warcraft 3 and AoE 2 DE are both gonna be amazing. Unless they're releasing on console, what better reason could you need to have a gaming PC? They're the perfect examples, and who's not excited for them? Just turn your gamer card in now! Hahaha. Or admit you don't enjoy RTS games, but if you haven't played them, they are the type of games to change your mind if you give them a chance.

And I really have no stomach for anyone who lists clicking an icon on a desktop as a negative, but that's just me.

I might as well say needing to own 3 different consoles (plus having to put discs in the machines and also having to make accounts in each console's storefront and have your purchases split amongst different storefronts on the consoles) to play all the console games is a huge negative and why (in my imaginary argument) I don't like to game on consoles.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The op didn't make mention of lack of new games for PC, so I don't see what point it would be reinforcing. And if he he did, he would be wrong since no platform comes close to the variety and number of games available for PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny feels just the opposite to me. PS4 exclusives have been really hit or miss for me and Xbox as a console feels redundant now that you can play its games on PC. I don't have nearly the amount of time for games that I used to either so this will likely be the last gen where I buy all the consoles. Switch will probably stay relevant due to the portability factor and maybe I'll eventually get the next Sony console once there are enough games that interest me. PC is the last gaming avenue I would want to give up.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
  • Repairs. When your console breaks down you have essential 1 choice - buy another. In the PC you can just change the part that is not working. (not sure if it is true in other countries but in Portugal it is almost impossible to find someone to repair your console)
This. When my consoles break, I don't know what to do. I don't know where to buy a replacement piece. I must send it to the official service. But I know everything about my PC. If something happens it is easy to look for the broken piece. (For me, as I have some experience on computer service)

Another thing that I think the console accessibility is dimishing is controllers. Before, if you wanted to play multiplayer you just plug the second controller and voila, you were playing. Now, when I go to play Street fighter 5 at my friend's ps4, I must connect the controller, play home, select guest, select no account return to the game. A minor nuisance, just as having many launchers in my desktop... But guess what! When my friend goes to my place, we play the same game on pc. He just connects his ps4 stick and we are playing. And I have the chance to use my Xbox 360 stick, which I cannot in his ps4.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Any game that currently exists, I'd prefer to play on my PC over a console.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Until baseline for consoles is 60 fps (preferably more), I'll have to stick with PC for the games where that matters (of which there are a lot more than some people are willing to admit).

You can't beat consoles for accessbility/price, though, especially with more and more games supporting kb/m as input, which is the other main reason I'm keeping my PC going forward.

I'm secretly hoping next gen mandates 60fps & kb/m options in every game, in which case I'm ditching my gaming PC entirely.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
I can use my Xbox elite controller (wirelessly), ds4 controller (wirelessly), steam controller, mouse + keyboard, rift, or vive. My PC is connected to my 55inch lg c8 oled for 4k hdr couch gaming and ultrawide gsync for fast competitive gaming. I have access to origin, ubi, epic, and steam game stores and can find games that match pricing on console game stores or cheaper. Furthermore PC has a larger library of older and more niche game types with free online gaming. Did I mention I can play games at higher resolutions or higher frame rates, or both, or none of the above. The ability to use graphics presets or tweak each individual setting is a big selling point for pcs.

Consoles are great. They're convenient and just work out of the box, but PC's are are way more versatile.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Built my first gaming PC in 2010, and I love PC gaming more than ever. I do have a Switch, but mainly play it a few times a month. Other than that I'm gaming on my PC. It's around 5 years old and still plays new release games at 1440p on high settings at 60 FPS or above. Planning on a new build next year or the year after, and I'm already excited. I love the wide variety of genres, and some of my favorite games ever only exist now because of support from PC gamers. I'm talking games like Kerbal Space Program or Cook, Serve, Delicious. I love PC gaming more than ever. If I ever get a Sony console (I don't need an Xbox with Game Pass on PC and I have a Switch), it would be a PS4 Pro if I can find for less than $200 once the PS5 comes out or something. But even then there aren't really any exclusives I want to play on that console.

PC gaming satisfies all of my gaming needs, and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who values frame rate, consoles just aren't meant for that. I guess in other Regards they might be diminishing but it's still the best platform for me by far.

Dec 12, 2017
To go against the grain, it's getting to a point where the cost and time just isn't worth it to me.

Figuring out hot fixes and editing .ini files after crashes gets old very quickly.

It's just a way better experience for me crash on the couch and play on my TV or projector with my home theater.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling
I'm with you OP!
PC gaming it's B tier. And it always be. It has better graphics and that's it. It doesn't have all the support from companies, it doesn't have any real good exclusive (or at least a good mainstream exclusive), and the "free online" at least for me it's a dumb argument since I can play online on console for just $5 a month, like buying a coffee.
Just let PC gamers think that they market it's relevant. We all know that's not true. Just imagine a world without PC gaming... Yeah, no one cares.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP!
PC gaming it's B tier. And it always be. It has better graphics and that's it. It doesn't have all the support from companies, it doesn't have any real good exclusive (or at least a good mainstream exclusive), and the "free online" at least for me it's a dumb argument since I can play online on console for just $5 a month, like buying a coffee.
Just let PC gamers think that they market it's relevant. We all know that's not true. Just imagine a world without PC gaming... Yeah, no one cares.

Better graphics and that's it?

raw

What a dumb and ignorant post.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I'm with you OP!
Is this sarcasm? Its pretty late and i cant tell

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
Consoles have the better reviewed games, the better HDR Support, the better ATMOS support. It's a much better median for Home Theater Gaming thats for sure.

But if framerate is the end all be all, I can see why you'd prefer PC. But it feels to me like framerate is a an easy cop out for PC Gamers when the stuff I mentioned above is better on consoles.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
People say this all the time, and it's really not accurate in 2019, unless maybe you're playing an old ass game. You can literally click a button in Geforce Experience that will auto configure settings for you, and you're done. Or you can tinker with all the options. It is up to you.
You don't even need to use configuration tools. I can't think of a single game I've played in years that didn't default to some settings that had the game running with playable performance right after install. Things always settled to give me 50-60 fps with decent graphical settings at the very least.

Tinkering is when you want to shoot up to 4k and still manage to get high fps while turning down as few graphical effects as possible.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
IMO the only disadvantage that PC has is the console exclusives and pricing
To be fair, while the entry cost for a gaming PC can be high, if you're going in with no PC-related peripheral, but want the full kit, however a PC very often can last longer than a console. Not to mention that it serves more than one purpose for most people.

I mean, we all want to see that our PC games look better than the console ones, but that's not the only advantage PC gaming has over consoles. For the poorer gamers like myself, having a PC that can run current gen games on max or almost max setting means I could still likely run a few years into the next gen without having to upgrade, I would just have to lower the settings a bit, closing the gap between PC and consoles.

Also, upgrading cost significantly less when you remember that things like monitors and such don't have to be replaced everytime.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Keep begging for console exclusives to come to PC.

Who's begging?

My PS4 hasnt been turned on in months. My copies of Spider-Man and God of War sit in there packaging still. Once I purchased a 144hz monitor with G sync, I cannot play games at 30 FPS anymore. Gives me a headache.... I haven't even finished RDR2 because I felt like moving through
Mud. I am waiting for the superior version to release on PC. Shit I have a hard time playing Destiny 2 on console right now... cannot wait for cross save to become active.

MS exclusives I can play on PC and I have a Switch for my Nintendo fix.

I don't really want to state all over why PC is just a better gaming platform then consoles( not that consoles are bad at all) and I just don't agree that the advantages are diminishing, Especially with Ryzen just releasing their zen 2 line CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.