• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching the Kinda Funny showcase and a game called Foregone was shown. This is the trailer:

I have to seriously say, I thought this was a Dead Cells expansion when this trailer started. The style looks exactly the same, and enemy designs seem like remixes of Dead Cell enemies to me.

Dead Cells Launch Trailer for comparison:

Am I just seeing things?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It is extremely Dead Cells-esque. Namely the rendering of 3D enemies in 2D pixel format. Plus the general fantasy aesthetic & gameplay.

Probably not intentional but an inevitable comparison nonetheless.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looks similar, but also unique on its own. The enemy design is the most similar part, and the 3D model 2D pixel art thing.

But the way it moves is much more even paced than Dead Cells' very fast paced chaos. That alone sets it apart pretty well.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I can understand why someone would assume this is Dead Cells, it doesn't seem as tight gameplay wise but the music, style and level design is ostensibly uncanny.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
There are some differences like differently paced gameplay, sure, but overall it seems really a bit too close for comfort to me.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My girlfriend who never plays games like this started calling me because she thought it was Dead Cells DLC.

I started freaking out thinking it was Dead Cells 2/DLC.

You will never catch me saying a game copied another but this, DAMN.

Last edited:

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
This is a rip off. Anyone who says otherwise is straight up delusional. Everything from the way the charecter drops in at the begining of the trailer to the way the enemies move to the way the breaks in the walls look to the environments themselves.

Sure the gameplay looks worse but that doesnt mean they wouldnt copy the gameplay exactally if they were skilled enough.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I really dont see how this wasnt intentional. It's too close to just have taken inspiration unconciously.

Jan 11, 2019
I'm not usually someone to call out games that are super heavily inspired by other games. But I have to agree with other posters here. This is almost a palette swap.

It's not the moveset, the dodgerolls, the breaking through doors.. It's HOW the character does it. If someone had told me this is a dead cells prequel or spin-off, I'd have believed it.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looks similar, but also unique on its own. The enemy design is the most similar part, and the 3D model 2D pixel art thing.

But the way it moves is much more even paced than Dead Cells' very fast paced chaos. That alone sets it apart pretty well.
Yeah.
Looked awesome. I loved the player character's moves. Really looking forward to it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Before I watched the video I was expecting the similarities to be vague... But goddamn it looks like Dead Cells, or at least a mod of Dead Cells.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i'd go as far as to call this a rip of dead cells. not straight asset flip, but yeah they aint even trying. plus that boss at the end is kinda reminiscent of the kings hand in dead cells.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa that is uncannily similar, it looks interesting but heavy dose of side eye for the time being. Hope they can do a fresh take and make something unique and great.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I usually rarely agree with "this is a ripoff of X". Often it's just one or two things, but some people can't stop looking at those details.
But in this case?
Yeah. That's a reskin of Dead Cells.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't even know this game dev before this, and looking at the games they've released in the recent years I've never heard of any of them.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
It looks very similar but I don't mind that one bit. It looks great to me and it clearly has some uniqueness to it despite the similarities.

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this game posted elsewhere and couldn't believe that there wasn't more backlash for it looking almost exactly like Dead Cells. Is this type of thing common? How is this even legal?

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
Plagiarism loves Dead Cells

So this is common then? I went the Epic Game Store to pick up my free games ;) (plz, nobody start in on EGS), and this game had a link on the front page of the store... I thought it was a stand alone expansion or something, then I saw the developers are two different studios... it also has a page on Steam. I am blown away that these platforms would help peddle this shit.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Is this game also a roguelike? I loved everything about Dead Cells but the fucking roguelike mechanics. So yeah I'd be down for a Dead Cells clone that I can actually finish.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
So this is common then? I went the Epic Game Store to pick up my free games ;) (plz, nobody start in on EGS), and this game had a link on the front page of the store... I thought it was a stand alone expansion or something, then I saw the developers are two different studios... it also has a page on Steam. I am blown away that these platforms would help peddle this shit.

The game is legitimately good.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There are some similarities but it's not to the point that Im going to mistake the two or anything.