• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like only 1 year ago where threads on Era in general had more activity, with a lot more different users posting comments.

It also seems like over the past two years we've had a sharp increase in self requested bans as well, especially from longtime users from the old place. Without putting anyone on the spot, because I know everyone has their own personal reasons, it just seems strange to me with the amount of people doing it.

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Self-requested bans? What? I don't get it. Why not just...stop visiting?

(edit- I've seen the jokes "just ban me now", but like, I didn't think that was serious?)

And on topic, yeah, I've noticed some slow-down in some community threads I regularly watch and follow and participate in, but I ascribed it to those games/communities not having much news lately, and the holidays. What I have valued a lot more, though, is that I recognize a lot more names/faces and have more meaningful convos as a result..

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Self-requested bans? What? I don't get it. Why not just...stop visiting?

(edit- I've seen the jokes "just ban me now", but like, I didn't think that was serious?)
Habits are hard to break. hence why people delete Twitter instead of just not going.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Internet discussion forums in general are a dying concept but this place moves a lot faster than any other forum I've seen these days.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
We lost a couple old hands. but also it's the holidays, less people post during them generally anyways.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
some threads move quickly. i have noticed fewer threads than we used to get back on GAF.

GAFs pretty dead now though, also insufferable

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you have some data it's probably just you, OP. I haven't noticed this at all.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely because of the holidays right now. My own websites traffic dropped off a cliff the last two weeks. It's picking back up again now. People are busy at the minute.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well some more prolific thread creators like Phantom Thief are gone, and certain fallouts like the Transgender Awareness-Week or the Etika situation lead to quite some people leaving.

Also probably more people get banned than new people joining. If you're talking right now though, it's probably because of the holidays.
I'll redouble my shirtposting.
The hero we need.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No games coming out right now. Even though Etcetera and Gaming are somewhat separate they are still linked.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Most of PC-era also left and made a new forum after having a fallout with the mods here or something.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I felt that reading some of this forum's topics and posts (staying vague) stressed me out for more than I would like. So I took a small haitus when winter break started.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As been mentioned, some of the 'more known' posters have left /been banned (like BronsonLee) , and the community can get a bit divisive, which leads people to leave as well. Several of the 'Insiders' that used to share scoops etc have either left and/or just stopped posting for the most part, I'm guessing that reduces traffic as well.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think this just means we need more Star Wars threads

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
lotta infighting, people moving to discord, and era was built off the bits and pieces of the old place. i wouldn't be surprised if growth has slowed down tremendously over the last 2 years. you also have an aging user base. lotta folks can't just sit around and browse era all day, they got responsibilities and a life.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Idk how accurate this is, but here's Google Trends Resetera:

n07S5lN.png

Seems as though interest in the site has remained mostly consistent over time, with a spike in the middle of last year and then a minor drop off?

Idk how accurate this is, or if there's a better way to gauge site activity.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

n07S5lN.png

Seems as though interest in the site has remained mostly consistent over time, with a spike in the middle of last year and then a minor drop off?

Star Wars and Marvel threads keeping this place afloat.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Because we aren't getting enough young bloods to replace the old leaving. The kids go to Discord nowadays for game discussion, or reddit for memes, and because of it we are left with a site where most people in it are close to middle-age.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

n07S5lN.png

Mid-year spike looks like E3. Probably accurate.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Forums like these are a relic of a bygone age and stuff like Etika, and the Trans Awareness Week certainly just made some people no longer want to be associated with this community, hence the self requested ban/account closure instead of just logging off.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for a while. No one seems to have noticed tho. The amount of threads that barely make it to page 2 is pretty high nowadays

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think generally speaking the constant influx of negative threads and users shitting on other users constantly has made this place less desirable to visit. Someone mentioned infighting as a reason and that definitely has a lot do with it as well.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Only been here a short while, but this place is one of the more active sites I've been on. It's safe to say there isn't a more active gaming forum on the net. I used to lurk at GAF before the split, and that place is a ghost town and on its last legs, save for the handful of alt right trash that posts there.

i think it's just a slow news cycle. Trump's been impeached. Biden, Bernie and Warren have pretty much locked up the primaries as far as front runners are concerned. Star Wars came and made a disastrous exit. There just isn't much to talk about right now.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I have noticed looking back at old threads that a lot of people requested their accounts be closed.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.