• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
We need to phase out Star Wars (seriously, ban creating new topics unless there is a new movie out, which should start the moment RoS leaves theaters)

Then encourage users to create threads that actually talk about funny or interesting stuff in their lives. It doesn't even matter if they're made up.

Fake it til' you make it as they say.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
if youve seen those threads youd know they were absolute shit. made it impossible to talk about whatever was going on with that store, so im not surprised that people left over that

I mostly don't game anymore unless it's a holiday, so what's the crux of it? Download service loyalty or some other bullshit?

Oct 25, 2017
lotta infighting, people moving to discord, and era was built off the bits and pieces of the old place. i wouldn't be surprised if growth has slowed down tremendously over the last 2 years. you also have an aging user base. lotta folks can't just sit around and browse era all day, they got responsibilities and a life.
I keep seeing people talking about discord and mention moving to discord but when I look at whatever community discords I can find around here, there's like nobody there saying anything. So I don't know what discords are the most popular on era, but I'd like to know where everyone is at!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I do get tired of the constant star wars threads. I thought gaming side needing someone new to tell us why they didn't like the Witcher 3 and everybody needs to see their opinion was bad, but man the constant star wars threads put those to shame.

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
I read Era less and less as it has started to feel more like a chore than a genuine source of interesting and/or fun discussions. Moderation has become quite strict on certain things, for good reason, but I guess for some it feels a bit suffocating by proxy, kinda how security checks get you antsy even if you aren't carrying anything illegal. This has resulted in less and less of the dumb-but-funny stuff that has been a joy to read in the past.

Another reason is the growing amount of bad-faith misreadings and general toxicity that is exacerbated in certain threads and has slowly spilled over into other ones as well. Discussions on complex subjects are constantly being hit by one-line sniping posts with the sole intention of shitting on another person while contributing absolutely nothing of meaning. I am not sure why people do this, maybe out of a sense of empowerment, but being on the right side of social justice doesn't make you any less of an asshole for doing that.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I have actually been posting more lately, but anecdotally the vibe on this forum is far more elitist/contrarian. It also has very strong fanboy circles. The disney/mcu squad is borderline cult like with the brand loyalty. There's a ton of jumping to conclusions as well. I've talked about this before, but I'm a bernie sanders supporter extremely far to the left, and have been labeled a concern troll or a trumper several times on this forum, which is hilarious. I've seen threads where peole are legitimately "just asking questions" but they get dog piled when they genuinely didn't do anything wrong. The room for discussion is much smaller than most communities I've been a part of and I don't just mean in politics- sports, pop culture, movies, gaming, etc. there is some serious issues with dog piling, brand loyalty, blatant bias/fanboyism, etc. I actually quit the forum for a while there, but as I said I've been posting a lot more lately. That being said I use reddit for a lot of things now where back in the day I'd never touch that site. There's just more varied discussion going on even though I hate having dedicated subs to specific topics, but at least it's more than just 3 or 4 subjects. this forum has become very disney/starwars/mcu centric.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to go about the same speed as twitter since many of threads created are just reposts of things people saw on twitter.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the Trans Awareness Week stuff that people keep mentioning?
IIRC, over time, the trans community here noticed that the moderation towards people making transphobic statements, trolling in those threads, and basically polluting discussion on sensitive topics was lax, and was thus pushing trans users out. A user made a thread about it, and in it, they posted screenshots of a mod Discord and insinuated the mods were shielding a fellow mod who was ace-phobic(sp?). The moderation then permabanned the user with a flimsy reason. To top it all of, this happened around the start of Trans Awareness Week in the US. The mods thus ended up perma-banning one of this forum's most outspoken posters on trans issues on the eve of a week dedicated to trans awareness.

Ultimately, this led to discussions with the current mod team on how to go forward with moderation on LGBTQIA+ issues and the un-banning of the user. But, during that time, many people chose to close their accounts since this was the straw that broke their backs. That incident was undoubtedly a factor in why some people have moved on from this forum, similar to what happened after the Etika incident.

Hopefully, I didn't leave anything out, but if I did, please let me know so I can edit it in.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully won't get banned for this:
metacouncil.com

MetaCouncil

No admins, no mods! A forum about video games and lifestyle with a different set of rules. Register now!

I'm not a member, but it looks like a carbon copy of ERA, but without mods? I'm not sure how it works. Also doesn't really seem that active.
Huh. There's a lot of familiar names there. I wondered what I missed. It does seem pretty slow.

Really metacouncil is about the monthly Metastream thread, which is basically like the monthly PC OT here. It's pretty much just as active if not more active than the monthly PC OT here. There were a lot of PC gamers who migrated from Era to Metastream after some of the bad moderation in the Epic games threads, where people were allowed to troll and nothing was being done.
Personally I post on both boards. There's a decent number that post on both.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I've been around a lot of forums and users here seem very sensitive to what constitutes a "shitty discussion" or a "hellhole" or "toxic" or whatever.

I've been in forums where people were calling each other assholes and homophobic slurs for liking certain consoles (TeamXbox), but I haven't seen that here. I've also seen users at other forums personally attacked for how they looked, or told they should die for having a certain opinion, now that's a bad thread.

Can anyone give me just a grade-A perfect example of a post that might make a user not want to post about something here?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It really is too bad that so much of original Era has become fragmented over things like the PC exodus and trans Era awareness. And its incredibly stupid that some members here had the gall to attack and harass posters like Bronson and Nirolak for posting sales or other things.

Like I get that Era is supposed to be open to all, but it's getting more and more hated. Not by the usual dregs who don't deserve the attention. But former members who refuse to be associated with the site at all now.

But I think that Era is doing a far better job than other sites in regards to name calling and other terms of phobia. Far better.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. This place is...a lot, to be honest lol. I'm positive half the reason MCU/anime/SW stuff has become so popular is because you can voice your opinions on that without being banned or having a bunch of people call you some variation of a monster. (Unless your opinion is that PoC/LGBT/women shouldn't be prominent characters, in which case you deserve to be banned.) The other half of course is that this place is a site for geeks, even though it's obvious so many people people want so, so bad for it not to be lol.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge or well known poster but I am posting less overall. I personally feel the moderation is sometimes too extreme and so I choose not to join in on a lot of discussions recently. I read but not post on a lot of topics now, I just usually say what I would post to my husband instead.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has to be something interesting that gets more people to post about.

I can't speak for everyone but after the billionth thread on politics, Avenger, Game of Thrones and Star Wars I kind of tune out. There are like 10 posts that are repeated 10,000 times.

The biggest threads at the old place were usually some new and exciting gaming news or something funny that everyone like to come in and make fun of.

One thing I think OldGAF did better was lock low-effort threads much more often and much quicker. You might think that would reduce the conversation, but in reality it forced people to put more effort into their threads and as a result increased their quality. After the 100th bullshit thread on topic X, you just don't have any more energy to deal with it and move on to someplace else. I would have never ignored threads at GAF, but here I do it all the time and my most requested feature is a way to ignore them without having to click into them. It's pathetic.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
On a personal level, I don't have a desire to argue with random strangers on the internet anymore. Nobody changes their mind or admits they're wrong so what's the point?
This where I'm at. There's basically an anger loop that keeps happening because too many people are stubborn as hell.

giphy.gif

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really feel that different to me. That said, for myself though I've been trying to limit the time I spend reading the board and spend more of that time actually playing games. And if I want to talk about them online I'm more likely to reach for Discord, or an OT for something smaller like Scarlet Grace where people are less likely to be annoying. After a while the general threads just become exhausting. Who wants to read about why the things you like suck for the umpteenth time? The Pokemon threads alone in the leadup to Sw/Sh killed off most of my activity here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Haven't logged in since November (still occasionally lurk) and likely will log out again after this but for me the reason I am no longer active is because I received a 2 week ban after being an active user since launch with no history of warnings for what they considered as being "anti-vaxxer" in a thread that maybe hit 10 posts before I was tossed. When sending an email to politely question the ban I got no response and when I tried to log back in on the date when the ban was initially set to expire I saw the ban was pushed out to 4 weeks with a note stating that next offense will result in a permanent ban.

I didn't appreciate it, especially the lack of any warnings before a "final warning" across a 2-3 year period of being on this site and no reasoning for why it was pushed out to a month on a first offense in 3 years with no warnings over a 2-3 year period. I learned that day if you say something some don't like then your gone and that's it. Post history means nothing and even a first time offense doesn't even warrant warnings before threats of permaban.

Still love the community overall as I always have but what's done is done. Take care everyone.

Edit - Just wanted to correct the record. Checking my inbox shows that I have recieved a warning in the past (Dec. 2017) for a tasteless comment I made in regards to Paul Manafort. So my record wasn't entirely clean.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Too many potentially funny topics get killed before they take hold.

Then there's the endless Star Wars and comic book movie threads. Just kill me.

I'll never understand somebody wanting to use Discord, which is essentially just a chatroom. There's no organization and everything moves way too fast. It's nice for on the fly reactions and nothing else.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everybody mentions Discord but any time I glance at it, it looks slow as molasses.

I think the slowness is due to the holidays and lack of major, major game releases. I bet this place will be more popular than ever starting in March.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't logged in since November (still occasionally lurk) and likely will log out again after this but for me the reason I am no longer active is because I received a 2 week ban after being an active user since launch with no history of warnings for what they considered as being "anti-vaxxer" in a thread that maybe hit 10 posts before I was tossed. When sending an email to politely question the ban I got no response and when I tried to log back in on the date when the ban was initially set to expire I saw the ban was pushed out to 4 weeks with a note stating that next offense will result in a permanent ban.

I didn't appreciate it, especially the lack of any warnings before a "final warning" across a 2-3 year period of being on this site and no reasoning for why it was pushed out to a month on a first offense in 3 years with no warnings over a 2-3 year period. I learned that day if you say something some don't like then your gone and that's it. Post history means nothing and even a first time offense doesn't even warrant warnings before threats of permaban.

Still love the community overall as I always have but what's done is done. Take care everyone.
Are you an anti vaxxer? Cause you deserve it if you are.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a dearth of these threads, sadly.

One thing I think OldGAF did better was lock low-effort threads much more often and much quicker. You might think that would reduce the conversation, but in reality it forced people to put more effort into their threads and as a result increased their quality. After the 100th bullshit thread on topic X, you just don't have any more energy to deal with it and move on to someplace else. I would have never ignored threads at GAF, but here I do it all the time and my most requested feature is a way to ignore them without having to click into them. It's pathetic.

One thing GAF had that was super entertaining was the conflict between members and sometimes even mods. It made for a super toxic environment and there was a lot of bullying and shitty behavior, but like any trashy reality show it could be pretty entertaining too. You don't want to live next to a stupid asshole, but sometimes it can be pretty entertaining to watch them fight or hell get into a fight yourself with one of them.

Now instead of fighting each other I swear the majority of posts on this forum are people who are coming online to echo the thoughts of some review or tweet they read and then pass off as their own original idea as to why Star Wars, Batman, Zelda, etc. is actually garbage. That is literally the most boring thing to read (unless you are really attached to whatever is being trashed and feel the strong need to defend its honor on the internet) and probably one of the worst forms of community you can have on the internet.

But that is also the stuff that gets the most responses so if that is what the community wants I can see why some people want out of that. I mean we try with the threads about why you should wash your ass and hate Michael Jordan but yall keep going back to Star Wars.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Are you an anti vaxxer? Cause you deserve it if you are.

Hi there. I have a 10 year old daughter who is up to date on all her vaccinations.

The thread that got me banned was me asking for my wife about a specific vaccine because she asked if I could get some information on it and I knew this community was well versed in some of these things.

I had some drinks that night and I believe tone may have been taken out of context. Not really sure because I never got warned, just banned. If it was then I would have apologized, which if anyone cares to check my post history would see I have done countless times. One things I've always loved about this place is the things I end up learning.

I could speak via PM if you wish but I don't really feel the need to get into it here.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, TIL what happened to so many of the old PC posters. Man did the mods drop the ball big time on those threads, and it would've been so easy to fix.

One thing GAF had that was super entertaining was the conflict between members and sometimes even mods. It made for a super toxic environment and there was a lot of bullying and shitty behavior, but like any trashy reality show it could be pretty entertaining too. You don't want to live next to a stupid asshole, but sometimes it can be pretty entertaining to watch them fight or hell get into a fight yourself with one of them.

Now instead of fighting each other I swear the majority of posts on this forum are people who are coming online to echo the thoughts of some review or tweet they read and then pass off as their own original idea as to why Star Wars, Batman, Zelda, etc. is actually garbage. That is literally the most boring thing to read (unless you are really attached to whatever is being trashed and feel the strong need to defend its honor on the internet) and probably one of the worst forms of community you can have on the internet.

But that is also the stuff that gets the most responses so if that is what the community wants I can see why some people want out of that. I mean we try with the threads about why you should wash your ass and hate Michael Jordan but yall keep going back to Star Wars.
God there are so many posts or even threads that are just regurgitating what someone on Twitter or YouTube said.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's far too much negativity and also a lot of posters make this place hostile for others and push them away.

Yes it's not as bad as somewhere like gamefaqs but a lot of posters here are more clever with their toxicity so they don't get banned.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Yeah that is the thread. Probably easy to find since it was the last time I posted. As stated I can see where some issue could have been found and how I lost my cool but that thread went south very fast. I regretted it really fast.

I did end up reading the link I was provided on the first reply and me and my wife have seemed to settle down. Since then we really broke away from a lot of social media because that's where so much fear mongering comes from.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
The gaming side is what I come on here for mostly because off topic is shit compared to Gaf many many many years ago, when there were some seriously funny characters on that site. There is not much to talk about on the gaming side and for the better or more likely worse, once the new consoles are released this place is gonna become a huge shitstorm.

Also people age, I don't use forums as much as I did 10 years ago and the younger generation probably ain't too interested in forums?

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I know quite a few people who left or severely limit their time here due to the negativity/toxicity this site can really give off. Been noticing self-requested bans too.

That being said, I don't feel like Gaming side is really slowing down, I figure it'll really ramp up anyway with next gen starting this year.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've certainly had quite a few stints where i've considered asking for my account to be banned. This forum can be incredibly negative. I've had a bunch of times I come away from reading it feeling less happy than I was when I started which seems like a massive negative for a way to spend my free time. Ultimately I stick around because I like it being a way to easily keep up with news, though there's probably an element of addiction to it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.