• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear the site stopped growing after it was created. It had like 44k a couple months after it was made over 2 years ago, and now it's at almost 49k?

The issue is that more people are leaving or getting banned then coming in.
People need a reason to come here.

GAF has a lot of insiders and some amazing GIF artists who had a lot of hilarious reactions (most were dumb and a lot of were unfair but we didn't care if it was funny).

Insiders have seemingly all gone to twitter and we don't have anything like those crazy GIFs because announcements are way more controlled now and twitter seems to be the place to get breaking news.

That said there are still a lot of cool people who post here and I can't think of a better place to discuss games on the internet.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be something interesting that gets more people to post about.

I can't speak for everyone but after the billionth thread on politics, Avenger, Game of Thrones and Star Wars I kind of tune out. There are like 10 posts that are repeated 10,000 times.

The biggest threads at the old place were usually some new and exciting gaming news or something funny that everyone like to come in and make fun of.
You know what's really crazy is comparing the NFL community between here and the old place. So much less activity nowadays, probably a third of the posts.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
People are scared of voicing their opinions, what do you expect. I've gotten warnings for super dumb shit like "console warring" while criticizing my own fucking console. Meanwhile, super ultra toxic hot garbage threads are allowed on a daily basis, under the premise "hmm could this completely ok thing be totally not ok? Dunno guys just saying, I'm just leaving this flame here, maybe log into Twitter and destroy this person's life, just an idea ok don't make me responsible for it later, but just check the post history from 2009 lmao"

oh god yes this happens to me all the time. I try my best not to have brand loyalty, but I still am a total sony fanboy. Given that I'm a sony fanboy I mostly post about sony games, and given I'm almost always in sony threads, I often am posting criticism or thoughts on certain sony games. I have been called "XBOT" over and over on this forum it's hilarious. I can't imagine what it's like being an xbox fan on this forum tbh, the sony defense force on here is ridiculously strong.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok? If you know suicide is no joke then why the hell do you care if somebody needs to be talked off that ledge? Those people who keep coming back are likely in a terrible cycle, and if you're familiar with suicide as you say you are, than you know it generally happens after years of personal struggle with it. To me you're just bitching that these people are crying for help and almost saying "we don't care, you wouldn't be typing this if you were serious about it". Nah FUCK that, this is a pointless criticism of the forum that has contributed virtually nothing to the issues that surround the forum. It happens so incredibly rarely and it's as easy as just not going in the thread. Trash criticism thinly veiled "do it then" type post right here.

Ok. I explained myself to the original poster who replied to my post.

Now I'll refer you to my third point in my post as a reply to you.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
lol I got banned for mentioning a community thread. Meanwhile that same community thread constantly mocks and antagonizes OT.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
You know what's really crazy is comparing the NFL community between here and the old place. So much less activity nowadays, probably a third of the posts.

Are you actually surprised by this though? I understand what NFLgaf was all about, it was a lot of playful ribbing, but to an outsider the extreme trash talk and dumping on basically everyone seems like legitimate bullying. As people grow tired of it or get banned that community will continue to shrink, because there's just no way new people can really catch on in there. Again I get that it's all in good fun, it just can come across as extremely hostile

In fact I specifically remember you posting about how I was only a fan when my team was in the playoffs and once they were out I'd no longer post... I linked you to several posts debunking that and you basically just shrugged with "whatever".

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully won't get banned for this:
metacouncil.com

MetaCouncil

No admins, no mods! A forum about video games and lifestyle with a different set of rules. Register now!

I'm not a member, but it looks like a carbon copy of ERA, but without mods? I'm not sure how it works. Also doesn't really seem that active.

Thanks for this! Lots of familiar faces there.

Aya

I'm not a huge or well known poster but I am posting less overall. I personally feel the moderation is sometimes too extreme and so I choose not to join in on a lot of discussions recently. I read but not post on a lot of topics now, I just usually say what I would post to my husband instead.

Same, I just say it to my boyfriend instead. Anyway, the atmosphere hasn't been that great lately. The place feels so much less welcoming and diverse than when I first joined. And that's all that I'm going to say.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Ok. I explained myself to the original poster who replied to my post.

Now I'll refer you to my third point in my post as a reply to you.

I was the original poster, and you can't use that as a shield for legitimate criticism. You were thread whining because somebody was looking for somebody to talk to is all. As I said I agree with a lot of your other points, but that point is an awful criticism that comes across terrible.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people still come to ResetERA, but most of afraid to post, because of banned over something minor, or what they say doesn't matter because they're a junior member, or being ridiculed over a opinion, or being attacked by multiple people with gifs and memes then getting banned/warned, or they don't want to argue so they don't post. I think likes should be implemented, there may be a lot people that agree with a post, but don't want to reply. When people hate something they're more likely to post and maybe drown out some discussion. Then maybe, if someone sees a post they agree with getting tons of likes, but getting bashed then perhaps they may more likely post without the fear of getting banned or something.

Anyway, there may be more people on Discord and Twitter as well, but I never understood how could they supplant forums, maybe IM, but not forums. Most Discords I've been a part of only talk about one topic, like Kingdom Hearts for example and most discussions happen too fast for me to be a part of and I miss out on most of the conversations if I'm away from chat. It's a bit more difficult to catch up on the discussion. Then if I want to talk about something else then I have to join another Discord server which may have hundreds of it's own channels of various stuff to catch up on.

Just my 2 cents.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Are you actually surprised by this though? I understand what NFLgaf was all about, it was a lot of playful ribbing, but to an outsider the extreme trash talk and dumping on basically everyone seems like legitimate bullying. As people grow tired of it or get banned that community will continue to shrink, because there's just no way new people can really catch on in there. Again I get that it's all in good fun, it just can come across as extremely hostile

In fact I specifically remember you posting about how I was only a fan when my team was in the playoffs and once they were out I'd no longer post... I linked you to several posts debunking that and you basically just shrugged with "whatever".
Okay so now you're going to rewrite history and try to make me out to be the face of toxicity within the old NFL community? I don't remember the intricacies of a years-old argument I had with you but I'm sure my summary would differ from yours so how about we let it die instead of dredging up some ancient he-said she-said trash?

I feel like I was pretty welcoming and friendly to new and old members of NFL-GAF, never really tried to be elitist or insular.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the issue is about strict moderation. GAF had much worse moderation.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I've never really thought the bans I've seen were out of line until they banned that Trans advocate not long ago in that thread of legend. They unbanned em eventually though, so I was hopeful Era mods had come to their senses. Looks like it might have been too little too late though.
If I was surveyed today the mods would have at least a 60% approval rating. Which is infinitely better than every other internet forum I'm no longer a part of.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Okay so now you're going to rewrite history and try to make me out to be the face of toxicity within the old NFL community? I don't remember the intricacies of a years-old argument I had with you but I'm sure my summary would differ from yours so how about we let it die instead of dredging up some ancient he-said she-said trash?

I feel like I was pretty welcoming and friendly to new and old members of NFL-GAF, never really tried to be elitist or insular.

I'm not rewriting history I can literally link to it if you want. I'm also not saying you're the face of toxicity, you used to get worked up about my comments on tannehill and "quit the dolphins", which was funny because on several occasions you referred to me as a fair weather fan and literally said "if the pats get bounced you won't post in here anymore", which I had linked you to posts from the playoffs the year before where I continued to post well after the pats got bounced.

Again not saying you were like that to new people, you factually did that to me, I didn't care though lol I thought it was funny you wouldn't admit you were wrong. That being said there were some resident posters in NFL gaf who were extremely rough around the edges to people who would casually watch sports. Again it was a bar room ribbing trash talk type atmosphere that I totally understood never really fit in with but I get its place... it's just not a shock at all that as members drop off new people don't replace them.

edit- for instance eznark was a straight up dick who everytime he would mention me would be like "he comes in once every 5 years to post something about tom brady" which is hilarious, if you check the post counts on threads I was regularly in the top 10... but guess what who gives a shit about post counts? THere were some serious "I POST MORE THAN YOU" type comments in those threads regularly it was truly embarrassing

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really seem like it has slowed down much to me. Keep in mind that this forum skews older, so each year more people are busy with adult life things compared to still being college and high school students. Ultimately forums are not what they were, and have a lot of competition elsewhere.
Yeah it was a lot of ongoing things but I think the Epic Games threads were big threads where the trolling and drive byes kept happening over and over again and the mods did nothing.
I think it's fair to say that both the moderation and PC community share blame in what happened there. We had the front page of the gaming side inundated with EGS threads for months on end, and also had Steam warrior types shitting up individual game threads if they were EGS exclusive(or even just potentially exclusive). That behavior turned off a lot of the wider forum audience, and created an environment ripe for trolling, or just general dismissiveness to the EGS-Steam situation.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I sincerely wonder at the kinds of opinions that people are worried about being banned over. There may be some blindspots but people mostly get banned for being really, really shitty.

I'm not sure why people would want that here.

Oct 25, 2017
Started participating less after having a user who I had on ignore deliberately made a false report and got me banned lol.
Then had a gaggle of users make a narrative up to excuse it.

Shit's hostile out here and it's frustrating if you're a leftist in political threads.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
i joined GAF (and then Era once it started up) right before the reveal of the PS4 and the intense amount of interest surrounding the new consoles and subsequent software lineup drove a ton of new people into gaming forums from what I could see. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the same spike in not only new users but posting frequency once the next console generation really gets underway with official reveals as well as this year's E3.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I sincerely wonder at the kinds of opinions that people are worried about being banned over. There may be some blindspots but people mostly get banned for being really, really shitty.

I'm not sure why people would want that here.
I have never once been banned or even warned here. Rarely I have ever seen a ban here that wasn't justified.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
We thought we knew what kind of forum we wanted, but what we wanted didn't want us.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I think people pining for old GAF (though I'm sure we have people in this forum PLENTY comfortable with new GAF) are forgetting how arbitrary and shitty that place could be sometimes.

For every universally loved "character" you had well known people who would get away with being straight up abusive because they had an in.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how accurate this is, but here's Google Trends Resetera:

n07S5lN.png

Seems as though interest in the site has remained mostly consistent over time, with a spike in the middle of last year and then a minor drop off?

Idk how accurate this is, or if there's a better way to gauge site activity.

December 2018: 28,564 posts
December 2019: 28,985 posts

Activity has decreased from 2018 but it has been relatively stable since the second half of 2018.

So it's just the OP.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not rewriting history I can literally link to it if you want. I'm also not saying you're the face of toxicity, you used to get worked up about my comments on tannehill and "quit the dolphins", which was funny because on several occasions you referred to me as a fair weather fan and literally said "if the pats get bounced you won't post in here anymore", which I had linked you to posts from the playoffs the year before where I continued to post well after the pats got bounced.

Again not saying you were like that to new people, you factually did that to me, I didn't care though lol I thought it was funny you wouldn't admit you were wrong. That being said there were some resident posters in NFL gaf who were extremely rough around the edges to people who would casually watch sports. Again it was a bar room ribbing trash talk type atmosphere that I totally understood never really fit in with but I get its place... it's just not a shock at all that as members drop off new people don't replace them.
iirc, which I might not because I don't keep tabs on all of the details of literal three year old arguments I've had, you did post a lot more during the playoffs or when the Patriots were doing well. Go ahead and link away since apparently you really need to get this off your chest, lol.

Actually my post about "quitting the Dolphins" was genuine, after a lifetime of emotionally taxing fandom the Falcons/Patriots SB broke me and I had to take a step back and reevaluate how much emotional investment I put into the NFL. It was rough and basically killed my interest in the NFL for a full season but I've since found a much better place in terms of my fandom that doesn't involve my Sundays literally being ruined because a football team lost. Insinuate I'm a fair weather fan if you'd like but I wouldn't expect a Patriots fan to understand.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I think generally speaking the constant influx of negative threads and users shitting on other users constantly has made this place less desirable to visit. Someone mentioned infighting as a reason and that definitely has a lot do with it as well.

I feel like this is a primary reason too. People seem more engaged with arguments than simple discussion.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Now that ROS came and went we don't get dozens of SW threads a week , that added a lot of thread activity

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
iirc, which I might not because I don't keep tabs on all of the details of literal three year old arguments I've had, you did post a lot more during the playoffs or when the Patriots were doing well. Go ahead and link away since apparently you really need to get this off your chest, lol.

Actually my post about "quitting the Dolphins" was genuine, after a lifetime of emotionally taxing fandom the Falcons/Patriots SB broke me and I had to take a step back and reevaluate how much emotional investment I put into the NFL. It was rough and basically killed my interest in the NFL for a full season but I've since found a much better place in terms of my fandom that doesn't involve my Sundays literally being ruined because a football team lost. Insinuate I'm a fair weather fan if you'd like but I wouldn't expect a Patriots fan to understand.

there ya go again, but I'm a sports fan, I've been a celtics/pats/sox fan my entire life so I've seen some bottom feeder teams. Regardless I didn't criticize you for quitting the dolphins, I criticized you for what you're doing right now which is keeping tabs on how much I post when my team is or isn't in the playoffs, which 1 isn't even true, and 2 well obviously when the pats play I'm more engaged in the actual discussion LOL. YOu LITERALLY are just now calling into question my fandom due to post count that is hysterical. I post on reddit now during game threads where my post count isn't regularly brought into question.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
LOL. This is so true though. When I see "read staff post" I think "why the hell do I care what the 'staff' things?" They are killing the discussion part of the forum.

If you saw many of the threads in question you'd know why it has to happen. There were discussions that got out of control with really poor behavior that they felt like they had to warn people against.

I mean, just see those Epic threads to see how out of control it got.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
there ya go again, but I'm a sports fan, I've been a celtics/pats/sox fan my entire life so I've seen some bottom feeder teams. Regardless I didn't criticize you for quitting the dolphins, I criticized you for what you're doing right now which is keeping tabs on how much I post when my team is or isn't in the playoffs, which 1 isn't even true, and 2 well obviously when the pats play I'm more engaged in the actual discussion LOL. YOu LITERALLY are just now calling into question my fandom due to post count that is hysterical. I post on reddit now during game threads where my post count isn't regularly brought into question.
I don't keep tabs on how much you post, I was mentioning a recollection from years ago based on a discussion YOU just brought up. I don't know or care how much you post now nor do I care how big of a sports fan you are or aren't. I'm not into gate-keeping and I certainly don't care about your level of fandom with the Patriots or any other team.

Actually, maybe just leave me alone since our conversations are never productive?

Status
Not open for further replies.