• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
End of a console generation maybe? Things should pick up when PS5/XSX reveal events get announced.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Problem with forums that are heavy handed with bans, you run out of users because young people don't come to forums. They're on Twitter and discord.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
People age out of things, forums are largely old-hat and obsolete compared to things like discord/twitter, it's the holidays so there's not a ton of news and people got other shit to do.

That and Resetera has experienced quite a few controversies in 2019 that caused people to leave, including several prominent members (Phantom Thief, Bronson Lee, etc.)

Resetera also has a bit of a reputation on the mainstream net, which probably stymies people joining up a fair bit.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've definitely noticed ERA being quieter for a while now. I bet a lot of it is holidays and that it's just kinda a lull in gaming right now since the current gen is winding down, but there's also been a lot of forum drama and infighting and such that isn't helping, either. I've always really liked Era (and gaf, before) but it's started feeling really... aggressive? Here lately, like, more so than usual. I'm hoping things will settle down again soon and once holidays are over and when stuff starts focusing more heavily on next gen that it'll pick up more.
I've upped my posting a bit lately, but I'm a generally pretty shy individual and I don't super fit in with most of the crowd here so I tend to keep to myself a lot and just lurk. I like when the forum is really active, though, so I'd super hate to see this place go dead.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I do notice when looking at older threads a ton of users have deleted accounts or are banned. That happened a lot on gaf already but I don't feel like this forum brings in many new users to begin with, though that isn't surprising at all to me.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I delete way more posts than I ever make. Arguing with people on the internet is completely pointless, and people are starting to learn.

I read a lot of stuff, and love the communities I'm part of. But most of the time it's just as good to not post in the regular off-topic threads.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
What we need is a scandal. I will take off my clothes.

giphy.gif

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Era's got fucking issues and a massive public perception problem that the leadership clearly thinks it can ignore with impunity.

We'll see over the next few years if they're right.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is the thread. Probably easy to find since it was the last time I posted. As stated I can see where some issue could have been found and how I lost my cool but that thread went south very fast. I regretted it really fast.

I did end up reading the link I was provided on the first reply and me and my wife have seemed to settle down. Since then we really broke away from a lot of social media because that's where so much fear mongering comes from.

If you would have read and responded to that first post instead of providing two pages of replies that ignored everything, it would have ended much differently. Honestly, I think a one month ban was pretty lenient given the seriousness of the topic and the way you handled it. Your mistake wasn't posting that thread, it was how you responded after you were given the information.

Trying to keep this on-topic, if you want to see Era discussions become better, owning up to the actual mistake early and then moving on would go a long way. Echoing another poster, fewer and fewer people have the energy left to deal with the nonsense, especially when there's little evidence it has any effect on changing people's mind.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bloodlust for a thread backfire really sours my opinion on the place tbh.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The user blurting out to his coworker if he just admitted to a crime for discussing pirating stuff at work was the highlight on Era in 2019. There's no topping that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
God there are so many posts or even threads that are just regurgitating what someone on Twitter or YouTube said.
To be fair I see that in my regular life too.

And just like with this board and the internet I just check the fuck out when I hear someone telling me why Star Wars sucks and is just regurgitating the same shit everyone else is saying. No thanks.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
People age out of things, forums are largely old-hat and obsolete compared to things like discord/twitter, it's the holidays so there's not a ton of news and people got other shit to do.

That and Resetera has experienced quite a few controversies in 2019 that caused people to leave, including several prominent members (Phantom Thief, Bronson Lee, etc.)

Resetera also has a bit of a reputation on the mainstream net, which probably stymies people joining up a fair bit.
What controversies? I live under a rock.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): inflammatory metacommentary
As a lurker who came over after Neogaf, I find myself checking the site less and less.

- The trigger happy ban policy is absurd. I get the impression users are scared to have an opinion that doesn't fit the mods agenda. This leads to nothing more than echo chamber with no real discussion to be had. Imagine in your personal life if you shut down every conversation where you disagreed with someone.

- Awful topic threads. The same posters over and over posting personal topics that are of no interest to anyone but themselves, to get a sense of validation that I assume is absent in their own lives.

- Negativity and toxicity. The constant bickering is exhausting. It feels like everyone is playing morality top trumps, trying to out do each other and be faux outraged by any slightly divisive opinion.

- I hate Trump as much as anyone, but the constant daily threads about him and his party on here are depressing. It would be nice to have a break for a bit. I swear posters get off on posting about his latest bullshit. We get it. He's a total prick.

- Opinion threads posted as fact like a BuzzFeed clickbait headline.

- Threads with people threatening to take their own lives. This is a serious topic obviously, but it seems to be the same people over and over who never take onboard any of the genuinely thoughtful and caring feedback from other posters. I know this is a complicated topic, and these people deserve and need attention and help, but I wish just they would help themselves. I feel like stepping away from Era and its negativity would probably do them some good.

It's just all so tiresome. I think I'm done with the forum, checking it out of a daily reflex doesn't add anything positive to my life tbh.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I usually only post while at work or there is some game I am super hyped about. Love talking politics so the past 3 years has been hell.

Despite being at the old place (GAF) for 10 years, I didn't come here for the first year so I have no clue how this forum was early on. There was some shit going on IRL and I wasn't posting often. The few times I did visit the old place, I noticed the quality of posts were garbage and OTL was a joke. Did some digging and found my way here. Life is too busy for me to post as often as I used to.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Really metacouncil is about the monthly Metastream thread, which is basically like the monthly PC OT here. It's pretty much just as active if not more active than the monthly PC OT here. There were a lot of PC gamers who migrated from Era to Metastream after some of the bad moderation in the Epic games threads, where people were allowed to troll and nothing was being done.
Personally I post on both boards. There's a decent number that post on both.

IMO the problem with PC stuff is a bit more than that. There's a lot of low effort drive bys, concern trolling and port begging in PC/VR threads that makes discussion unbearable as people come in with already-debunked/discussed to hell takes over and over and those threads basically turn into never-ending loops of arguing against the same exact points while the same is generally not tolerated in console threads to the same extent. As such people either get tired and leave of get sick of it and get heated. I'm all for discussion and a variety of opinions, but people who jump into 200 page threads with a verbatim single sentence argument that has been done to death every 3 pages amounts to a concerted unintentional derailment, and the regular members alone cannot deal with it, and the staff doesn't seem invested in dealing with it either.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era's got fucking issues and a massive public perception problem that the leadership clearly thinks it can ignore with impunity.

We'll see over the next few years if they're right.
I think it's pretty clear the site stopped growing after it was created. It had like 44k a couple months after it was made over 2 years ago, and now it's at almost 49k?

The issue is that more people are leaving or getting banned then coming in.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
If you would have read and responded to that first post instead of providing two pages of replies that ignored everything, it would have ended much differently. Honestly, I think a one month ban was pretty lenient given the seriousness of the topic and the way you handled it. Your mistake wasn't posting that thread, it was how you responded after you were given the information.

Trying to keep this on-topic, if you want to see Era discussions become better, owning up to the actual mistake early and then moving on would go a long way. Echoing another poster, fewer and fewer people have the energy left to deal with the nonsense, especially when there's little evidence it has any effect on changing people's mind.

In most instances that is what would have happened but I made a bad mistake of posting when drinking and lost my cool. As I stated earlier, in my post history there are many instances of me admitting when I am wrong and apologizing. I'm always eager to learn and admitting ones error is sometimes the first step required.

Anyways I don't really wish to dwell on this any longer as it's 2 months in the past and honestly I probably won't post after I log out. Mistakes were made and not much you can be done about it now.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Well there's more that could be done. It would be nice to have "meta" discussions without threads being locked. More transparency over moderation, etc.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This community is filled with toxic gate keepers who are thirsty for blood. The mods on the otherhand are as heavy handed as they are inconsistent. Shitposting/ aggressive callouts are bad unless they like it.

Its not healthy here and people are picking up on that.

Last edited:

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't noticed that really. But what this place lacks, is the batshit crazy threads. We used to have plenty of them on GAF, but mods here now are a little bit to trigger happy with locking the threads. Let us have some fun man!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the problem with PC stuff is a bit more than that. There's a lot of low effort drive bys, concern trolling and port begging in PC/VR threads that makes discussion unbearable as people come in with already-debunked/discussed to hell takes over and over and those threads basically turn into never-ending loops of arguing against the same exact points while the same is generally not tolerated in console threads to the same extent. As such people either get tired and leave of get sick of it and get heated. I'm all for discussion and a variety of opinions, but people who jump into 200 page threads with a verbatim single sentence argument that has been done to death every 3 pages amounts to a concerted unintentional derailment, and the regular members alone cannot deal with it, and the staff doesn't seem invested in dealing with it either.

Yeah it was a lot of ongoing things but I think the Epic Games threads were big threads where the trolling and drive byes kept happening over and over again and the mods did nothing.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure, I was pretty inactive in that period, but someone said it had something to do with console warriors constantly shitting up PC threads and mods doing nothing about it.
I see the Epic store thread on that site has far more posts than any other thread so probably related to that
after the great rift of epic store, and the subsequent bickering and trolling, a lot of pc peeps left.

Then you have Nirolak posting a lot about business related gaming news, gaming side didn't like his narrative and started attacking him personally, he said fuck it and left.

these are the ones I remember.
Really metacouncil is about the monthly Metastream thread, which is basically like the monthly PC OT here. It's pretty much just as active if not more active than the monthly PC OT here. There were a lot of PC gamers who migrated from Era to Metastream after some of the bad moderation in the Epic games threads, where people were allowed to troll and nothing was being done.
Personally I post on both boards. There's a decent number that post on both.
This all makes a lot of sense now. I'm mostly a PC gamer so most of the threads I visit on Era are PC related. Thanks for the replies/info. I'll likely follow (I don't post much here, or on GAF before the exodus. Just like to stalk y'all.) it as well.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I dont understand this banning thing. What are peopel being banned for? Surely it cant all be unjustified.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
likes on posts and on the first page there's a thread demanding a NSFW Anime thread. No thanks.

Yeah, no thanks. Been a member of other boards in the past with likes and it was...awful.

Star Wars threads were extremely annoying for like 3 weeks

Tell me about it. I stayed away from Off Topic as much as possible for the past month due to it.

Everybody mentions Discord but any time I glance at it, it looks slow as molasses.

I think the slowness is due to the holidays and lack of major, major game releases. I bet this place will be more popular than ever starting in March.

Depends which Discords you're in. If you're in the Shin Megami Tensei one, it's practically dead. I'm also in other Era Discords where discussion moves so fast, I check it after just two days and there's like 250+ messages, takes ages to flip through it all and ends up with me never discussing much unless the latest topic catches my fancy. For myself, seeing as I work on projects, it's good to look through in downtime but for the most part I don't have the time to partake. Forums like this offer that sort of discourse to be able to come in later and not feel "too late" as it were. I'm more of a lurker on Discord.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Echo chambers are pretty sustainable but tend not to grow all that much.

Hangouts and Discords are probably working best for a lot of the users nowadays.

No positivity allowed in main Forum/OT.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
As a lurker who came over after Neogaf, I find myself checking the site less and less.

- The trigger happy ban policy is absurd. I get the impression users are scared to have an opinion that doesn't fit the mods agenda. This leads to nothing more than echo chamber with no real discussion to be had. Imagine in your personal life if you shut down every conversation where you disagreed with someone.

- Awful topic threads. The same posters over and over posting personal topics that are of no interest to anyone but themselves, to get a sense of validation that I assume is absent in their own lives.

- Negativity and toxicity. The constant bickering is exhausting. It feels like everyone is playing morality top trumps, trying to out do each other and be faux outraged by any slightly divisive opinion.

- I hate Trump as much as anyone, but the constant daily threads about him and his party on here are depressing. It would be nice to have a break for a bit. I swear posters get off on posting about his latest bullshit. We get it. He's a total prick.

- Opinion threads posted as fact like a BuzzFeed clickbait headline.

- Threads with people threatening to take their own lives. This is a serious topic obviously, but it seems to be the same people over and over who never take onboard any of the genuinely thoughtful and caring feedback from other posters. I know this is a complicated topic, and these people deserve and need attention and help, but I wish just they would help themselves. I feel like stepping away from Era and its negativity would probably do them some good.

It's just all so tiresome. I think I'm done with the forum, checking it out of a daily reflex doesn't add anything positive to my life tbh.

I agree with some of your other points but this is trash "I wish they would help themselves". Fuck that shit man that's a terrible way of thinking. Besides those threads are relatively rare and easy to ignore. This sounds like some weird "get over it" type whining. Weird thing to nitpick and terrible way to phrase it.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I dont understand this banning thing. What are peopel being banned for? Surely it cant all be unjustified.
I've never really thought the bans I've seen were out of line until they banned that Trans advocate not long ago in that thread of legend. They unbanned em eventually though, so I was hopeful Era mods had come to their senses. Looks like it might have been too little too late though.

Turnstyle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with some of your other points but this is trash "I wish they would help themselves". Fuck that shit man that's a terrible way of thinking. Besides those threads are relatively rare and easy to ignore. This sounds like some weird "get over it" type whining. Weird thing to nitpick and terrible way to phrase it.
I know, I feel bad raising it, genuinely, but it's so frustrating to see the same people over and over making the same threads. Suicide is no joke. I've seen it first hand. That's part of what makes seeing it continually coming up here so depressing.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I've never really thought the bans I've seen were out of line until they banned that Trans advocate not long ago in that thread of legend. They unbanned em eventually though, so I was hopeful Era mods had come to their senses. Looks like it might have been too little too late though.
Im sure that had some effect but i think the response and growth form the mod team has been acceptble which is commendable given how most places would just shrug it off and pretend it didnt happen.

Oct 27, 2017
People are scared of voicing their opinions, what do you expect. I've gotten warnings for super dumb shit like "console warring" while criticizing my own fucking console. Meanwhile, super ultra toxic hot garbage threads are allowed on a daily basis, under the premise "hmm could this completely ok thing be totally not ok? Dunno guys just saying, I'm just leaving this flame here, maybe log into Twitter and destroy this person's life, just an idea ok don't make me responsible for it later, but just check the post history from 2009 lmao"

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Eh, Era hasn't really grown. I think the 40k member mark was hit back in July 2018. That's...what...8k members in 1.5 years? Not to mention the number of alts, banned members, and people closing their accounts. Starting out there was a lot of enthusiasm because of a "new" board but it really hasn't taken off.

Last edited:

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I know, I feel bad raising it, genuinely, but it's so frustrating to see the same people over and over making the same threads. Suicide is no joke. I've seen it first hand. That's part of what makes seeing it continually coming up here so depressing.

Ok? If you know suicide is no joke then why the hell do you care if somebody needs to be talked off that ledge? Those people who keep coming back are likely in a terrible cycle, and if you're familiar with suicide as you say you are, than you know it generally happens after years of personal struggle with it. To me you're just bitching that these people are crying for help and almost saying "we don't care, you wouldn't be typing this if you were serious about it". Nah FUCK that, this is a pointless criticism of the forum that has contributed virtually nothing to the issues that surround the forum. It happens so incredibly rarely and it's as easy as just not going in the thread. Trash criticism thinly veiled "do it then" type post right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.