• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
I'm looking for my first apartment, and on the application, it is asking for checking and savings account numbers. Is this normal? Seems a bit TMI IMO.

Did they ask for your account numbers on your application? Did you give it to them?

May 8, 2018
Back in the days there was nothing like that. I'd not give them that information. Now if they want it after you sign a lease for auto pay or something ok but no not when filling out an application.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for my first apartment, and on the application, it is asking for checking and savings account numbers. Is this normal? Seems a bit TMI IMO.

Did they ask for your account numbers on your application? Did you give it to them?

Is it government assisted housing? Those have a income/saving threshold limit to prevent absuse. I don't believe they have any legal way of checking that, just taking your word for it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Mine asked for proof of income and information to run a credit report, but that's about it. I definitely don't think they asked for my bank information. That absolutely seems sketchy.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Giving out account numbers (banks, cards) is never normal unless you're setting up some sort of direct-pay or auto-draft

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No. As others have said, just proof of income and social for credit report.

Don't give them your bank info.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
DO. NOT. GIVE! under no circumstance is that standard operating procedure. My partner is a real estate agent and literally demanded i write that in all caps.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like a scam. Application for credit check might ask for info like last 4 of SSID and other identification info like Name and DOB.

In other words, do not give your bank account number.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it said U.S., but in Ontario the standard rental application has a spot for account number and SIN number. Should I not be filling that out lol

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they asking you for a cheque for last months' rent? Do they mean the number of the chequeing account associated?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
In Texas it is legal for an apartment company to ask for your financial information. This is to insure that you can financially afford monthly rent. It is also to set up a garnishment if there is a judgement against you for not paying rent or damaging the property.

However, you have every right not to give this information. Just be aware that a landlord can deny your application for any or no reason in Texas.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are typical red flags and then there are Nigerian Prince levels of red flags. This is a Nigerian Prince level of red flag.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That is a scam. No one would ever need your banking account information. Report them using the non-emergency police line.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen that, but your checking account # is on your checks so it's not like you're going to keep it from them. For an application though? fuck that

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
What's wrong with giving someone your account number? Can you actually do something with it, besides deposit money on said account? Not from US so kinda curious.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly typical. Depends where you are and who you're renting from. My landlord here in CA asks for account information in the application.

You can choose to not provide it, but they can also choose to not lease to you (and will probably do so unless your credit, employment, and rental histories are golden). And they'll keep the application fee.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Not normal. I mean I had to give mine when I got an FHA loan to buy a house. You have to prove to the lender that you can afford the monthly mortgage costs. But applying on an apartment rental? No. They should just pull your credit.

edit:Sometimes they will ask for the last 6 weeks paystubs though

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's normal in CA. They'll get the number when you pay the rent anyway

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
In WA state and most of the country they ask for income verification, aka 3 most recent paystubs or if you just got hired and offer letter should work.

Bank information should only be submitted, for government program or income restricted housing

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
It's normal in CA. They'll get the number when you pay the rent anyway

At the point when you're paying rent, you're in a legal agreement with them that has or should have protection for both sides, (I know CA real estate can be ridiculously in favor of ownership). An application is just giving over information, with no protections.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At the point when you're paying rent, you're in a legal agreement with them that has or should have protection for both sides, (I know CA real estate can be ridiculously in favor of ownership). An application is just giving over information, with no protections.
Sure but if you don't provide it they just go with the next applicant

OP
OP
KingTrainJumper

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Will probably just leave that part blank if I decide to submit an application at that place.