• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it OK to say "Fucking White People" as a white person to POC during conversations?

• Yes

Votes: 570 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 558 49.5%

• Total voters

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Pretty much the thread title. I try to be an ally as best I can. I teach bias training and unconscious bias and microaggressions so that people will be more aware of the impacts of things that they say. I have a significant group of POC in my department that have expressed appreciation for what I try to do, I feel that I've built a level of trust that I can't really describe.

I know that I am not perfect and I don't claim to know everything. I will never be able to understand the level of discrimination and racism that POC deal with on a daily basis and am still largely ignorant to their struggles.

But I was thinking about this recently because I have a good open relationship with some of my coworkers and I have started saying this when we do something really stupid or is just something to shake your head over.

My question is saying Fucking White People when calling out our stupidity ok to say or is it looked at as appropriation? I don't want to offend anyone.

Thoughts?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
it would only be acceptable if you shout it immediately after spilling coffee on yourself

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
No. I would avoid this. Not that you're wrong, but it's eye-rolly to me when I hear white people shit on "white people".

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Why would someone who claims to teach about bias training think it's ok to make such a moronic generalization like that anyway? Do you not teach hypocrisy?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL there's nothing wrong with it but it can come of as too try hard. I guess it depends on how close you are to the audience. When my wife does it in my company, I know it's not performative and she's serious about it.

She wouldn't say that to a random group of Black people but she could vent like that with her closest homegirl without it being perceived as cringey.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Makes it just sound like you're more concerned with distancing yourself from bad racial behavior than maybe saying something more constructive or empathizing.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like you are using it as a joke. Like any joke, consider your company IMO. I wouldnt do it except around friends that would understand you were joking.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not sure how you could express this sentiment in a work related environment. This seems like the type of statement that gets people to knee jerk reaction to you rather than listen to anything you have to say.

I've never heard of a diversity and inclusion training program implement language like that. So I cannot imagine it would be considered professional.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It sound weird. But then again - I find myself often thinking that men are trash while being a man myself, so...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't it depend on the context?

If you're having a conversation specifically about white fragility and are both expressing frustration it would fit, but I'm also sure it could come across in other contexts like a person was trying to score points.

A white person expressing frustration with other white people for their ignorance seems okay to me.

OP
OP
HeySeuss

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am not sure how you could express this sentiment in a work related environment. This seems like the type of statement that gets people to knee jerk reaction to you rather than listen to anything you have to say.

I've never heard of a diversity and inclusion training program implement language like that. So I cannot imagine it would be considered professional.
I'm not using it within a training context but just in conversation.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Not "bad" in a sense, but I would probably roll my eyes and find it a bit too try-hard. My opinion as a minority.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
You can essentially say that, but using those exact words? Not sure if that doesn't come across as disengenious or trying too hard.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This. Don't say stuff like that at work at least. It can come across as cringey and try hard too.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't bother me when anyone, of any race, finds frustration in white privilege and supremacy. So.

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
There's a lot of trash ass white people out there. Every POC does (or should) know this, but you're your own person. You don't have to apologize for trash ass white people. Just take their trash ass white people actions and learn from the trashiness, so you won't become yet another trash ass white person.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Honestly I would avoid doing it because some people that might hear might just fly off the fucking handle if you do that, even as a joke. White fragility and all.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Doesn't bother me; I don't find it particularly constructive but then again I'm not always constructive either.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would probably not phrase it that way but rather use my experience as a white dude to add some context to why things are the way they are. I've done my fair share of what could be looked at as shitting on white people, but that's because my understanding of the culture and how views are shaped/formed makes some things even more disappointing to me when you put work in to break that mindset and see other people/white society as a whole going down a shit path.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate your response because this is what I hope to figure out. I'm not debating but can you expand as to why?
Wat? I'm not even sure you realised you just drew a line in the sand where you made it sound like it's fine to make comment about any other colour than your own if you're white.
I'm black so when I hear white people say stuff like that I feel like they're "trying too hard" to make me know they're "a good one". Again, not an issue in principle, but in application, I find it a little cringey.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's appropriate to reference anyone's skin tone, culture or ethnic background in a negative light ever really. You're basing a decision made by an individual(s) and smearing that's across an entire group of people. Not a good look. Also being a white person and saying "fucking white people" to a group of POC sounds pretty cringe worthy tbh.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's imo appropriate if you happen to be talking about some white nonsense like a soy milk turmeric latte or a winter squash workshop or something but I'm also white so idk.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking OPs....

I agree that it does come off as trying too hard but generally there's nothing wrong with it.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I do, mostly because I acknowledge that white privilege and supremacy is still a thing and its fucking stupid. I usually use in the context of a joke.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why would someone who claims to teach about bias training think it's ok to make such a moronic generalization like that anyway? Do you not teach hypocrisy?
It depends on the context. If it's about certain aspects of whiteness the statement is not saying "all white people are X", it is stating an issue with whiteness which does exist.

White Privilege, White fragility, these are still things that are very hard to broach with other white folk in general.

At least, IF the context is regarding these things... it could very easily be something else, too.

Oct 25, 2017
White people can make desparative white people statements. This is the system we've designed for good or bad (only people of a race can say stuff like that). If you aren't white it can be construed as aggressive bias. I will say it's not a helpful sentiment though.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head, there isn't any biases at the workplace or storefront that work against white workers or consumers. Bias training isn't meant for improving white quality of life, that's already at peak levels. OP isn't a hypocrite.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I just imagine when you do it the POC looks at you thinks "yeah....." cause in that moment you are in fact a fucking stupid white person.