• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it OK to say "Fucking White People" as a white person to POC during conversations?

• Yes

Votes: 570 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 558 49.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only if you preface it with "would you ever consider" when talking to PoC of your preferred gender. It works every time.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah man, I would never do that. I think there's a difference with providing context and empathizing and voicing your displeasure at the state of things as well than trying to explain to a PoC what the deal is or whatever.

Like for an example, I'll talk about how American culture passively pushes white people into white supremacy and racism because the system as a whole was designed that way. You can look from birth at the journey of a white person through their schooling or family interactions or where they grow up and see how systemically our culture propagates racism, I can talk about that because as a white dude I experienced it, hell I still experience it because our judicial system, commerce, health care, real estate, almost everything is designed from a "whites first" mentality because the legacy of this country was white people building things off the back of minorities.

I think a lot of white people don't see that, or don't want to see that, but at the end of the day it should be white people who are doing the work among ourselves to call that out. To me, as a person who lives that experience, I'm not saying it makes my opinion somehow more valuable or important, but rather (and I'm opening to being wrong about this) that someone in my position should be calling that stuff out and trying to recognize it for what it is.

That's fine tell other white people why white people suck cause they probably don't realize they suck yet, but this hypothetical is specifically about saying "fucking white people" to a group comprised exclusively of PoC. They don't need to hear from a white man how fucked up the world is, they know.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
IT DEPENDS.

If it's actually funny or you're deriding a racist who is making everyone uncomfortable, it's usually ok.

It gets to cringe levels if it just becomes too self-hating though. Like no one wants to end up having to coddle you or congratulate you for your self-flagellation, you get me?

I am fairly sarcastic, but some people have levels of sarcasm and self-derision that makes you want to go "CHILL THE HELL OUT AND SHUT UP".

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I would imagine this is highly contextual. depending on whether the situation is calling for humor (ie a really bland potato salad) or is more serious (oh look another white person saying the n word).

Also depending on your relationship with the person in question.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
One of my white friends and I shit on other white people often, because we've discussed how we feel about most things together. We're not trying to look good or anything. I don't say it to most of my PoC friends because it's information they already know. Some of my friends will be like, "White people fucking suck," and I'll agree. I just don't try to appeal to my friends as some sort of special white person, y'know? Other people will make up their minds if I'm good or not. I'm not gonna try to look a certain way. It's like the same thing with feminism. I don't walk around going "Look at me. I'm a special man that respects women," (I've seen many men who do this at my age) but I talk about feminist topics with my female friends.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This could be OK with close friends, but it's not appropriate in professional settings imo.

I would avoid generalizations of any kind at work.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a white person and I'll say it half joking about things sometimes around friends. The only person to get angry about it was another white person.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, is it bad if this is a white person thing to ask? Is it a bad thing for OP to have posted?

There's an episode of Seinfeld that comes to mind where Elaine is trying to figure out if her boyfriend is black because she's excited at the possibility of being in a mixed relationship, but she's afraid to just ask. George is uncomfortable with even bringing it up. The episode is funny because it's rooted in whiteness and behaviour that only white people would engage in. I'm a brown guy, so I don't think I've ever had that experience personally, which is why it's interesting for me to see.

I've discussed ethnic habits at work - like, another Indian coworker tries to recruit me to go up and get free food with me because he can't do it alone, or an east African coworker tells me how he when he's eating he needs to see me eating too. This one's different in that it's a view in perspective to other ethnicities, but I don't see why it's wrong to be discussed even if it's a white person concern.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much of that ties into (what I would argue) is a toxic mindset of caring too much = bad?
How much of that ties into (what I would argue) is a toxic mindset of caring too much = bad?

I'm not personally saying that caring too much is bad, but it can tend to come off as off-putting for a number of reasons. Individuals aren't really race ambassadors and as someone else pointed out, it would probably be more effective if it was pointed at the right audience, namely, white people.

Though I'm sure every race has their own version of "sorry, [insert race here] people"

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
it's wack if you're speaking as if you're in the same shoes as a POC. it's a subtle way of distancing yourself from your experiences and privileges as a white person. just acknowledge the reality of our situations, don't make a joke out of it lol.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You can say whatever you want, that doesn't devote you of the consequences tho. If your boss hears you saying something like this in your workplace and decides to send you to HR, what are you going to say, that my favorite progressive gaming forum told me it was ok? You're going to get laughed out of the room.

It's a inflammatory comment it doesn't matter whether you agree with that or not, all that matters is how people receive it.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you say that at all? Do you know all white people or how they act? Do they do something that a black person wouldn't do?

I also would never say that at work, its not professional at all.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
LOL there's nothing wrong with it but it can come of as too try hard. I guess it depends on how close you are to the audience. When my wife does it in my company, I know it's not performative and she's serious about it.

She wouldn't say that to a random group of Black people but she could vent like that with her closest homegirl without it being perceived as cringey.
This is my feeling on it. Depending how you say it, it could come off as a cringey attempt to seem "woke."

As a white dude, I'll rant against white people, but usually only if the topic has been broached by someone else.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
You're a cop right? I'd probably think twice about saying "fucking <insert ethnicity/race here" regardless of who I'm around.

And yes, it comes off as cringey as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
this very question is some white people bullshit.

Yes, you can call out race as being bad when it's clearly weaponized. Do you have any idea how fucking tired I, or indeed anyone outside the USA, am of reading "X while Black" headlines without white America even coming CLOSE to wanting to deal with that bullshit?
Or yet another exciting daily round of Mass Shooting USA?

FUCK white America.

Thank you, like and subscribe to my newsletter, yada yada.

Like the first reply said: this is not an issue.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't shit in anyone for their colour. I feel it just adds more to an already racist world

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
i mean you can say it but it sounds extremely corny because you are a fucking white person

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
As someone currently teaching in a classroom where we have one white student who goes out of his way to be overly vocally woke and says stuff like this constantly... I'll echo the sentiment that it's more than a little cringy...

it would only be acceptable if you shout it immediately after spilling coffee on yourself
The only appropriate time

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're a cop right? I'd probably think twice about saying "fucking <insert ethnicity/race here" regardless of who I'm around.
To be fair, I would think saying something like that would be the most tolerated in the presence of American police.

I mean, have you seen these people's Facebook posts?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1*IA-cXQxYyUVdWePGgsLfxA.gif

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not personally saying that caring too much is bad, but it can tend to come off as off-putting for a number of reasons. Individuals aren't really race ambassadors and as someone else pointed out, it would probably be more effective if it was pointed at the right audience, namely, white people.
I think that's a pretty damn good take

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think it's a good idea to say fucking any race. It's stupid - even as a white person talking about white people.

Last edited:

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
To even worry about this reeks of white guilt, which doesn't really help anyone. Gonna say if you have to ask you probably shouldn't.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's your race, so you should be able to say it if you want. It's not my business to stop you. I kinda don't like it when us POC say it since it sorta sounds like a dumb generalization to me, so I avoid it altogether.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Sure, whatever, who cares. I don't think that this will win you a lot of friends, but in case you're the person who wants to say that, go ahead and get it over with so that others can sort you out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If the OP talked to me about this I'd say basically....fuckin white people!

This is not an issue to begin with.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously asking, as someone that teaches about "biases and microagressions", if you can make that sort of crude generalizations about a group of people in order to feel better connected to another group of people? And you're take is that you might be appropriating something? Ok...

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
All things being equal, if I said the opposite as a white person it wouldn't be okay... but there's around 300+ years of thing being very unequal so I'm gonna let it slide

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I call out the oblivious white majority and how that fucks with our culture and politics here in Québec all the time.

I don't rail against « fucking white people » though, because I know that it triggers diet-racists who descend on me and call me racists against white people (I am white and culturally québecois, it doesn't make sense). Just insulting whiteness to POC is pointless and a waste of time.

But yeah of course it's acceptable. Bad praxis and mostly pointless, but sure!

I just imagine when you do it the POC looks at you thinks "yeah....." cause in that moment you are in fact a fucking stupid white person.

lol this is probably the best reply