• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it OK to say "Fucking White People" as a white person to POC during conversations?

• Yes

Votes: 570 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 558 49.5%

• Total voters

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Context. I say it from time to time but usually it's when the discussion is about some bullshit. I dont just walk up to a group of poc and hold out my fist and say "hey brothers, fuckin white people amirite"?

British

Dec 15, 2018
No, you should never judge people based upon the colour of their skin. If you do, you're a bigoted asshole.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
White person opinion: I'm sure there's some level of familiarity you could have in your relationship with individual POC where they know what you mean and trust you enough that you mean it, but you should be reeeeeeaaally careful because if you're not at that point it's going to read as hollow, performative wokeness, like you're begging for kudos, to get your acknowledgement as one of the good ones.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Some other white people (I mean from a perspective as a white person) seem a bit fake when doing it, like they are trying to be woke and seem like the cool white person. I mean, there are times for sure when it really fits. But I feel some white people are just trying to fit in to a trend and it comes off as shallow.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
White person opinion: I'm sure there's some level of familiarity you could have in your relationship with individual POC where they know what you mean and trust you enough that you mean it, but you should be reeeeeeaaally careful because if you're not at that point it's going to read as hollow, performative wokeness, like you're begging for kudos, to get your acknowledgement as one of the good ones.

This is exactly my first thought when I see white people using this phrase

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can say it, but I don't reccomend. I tend to prefer the mocking of institutions instead. I'm not going to clutch pearls when people do it though since society shits on us on the daily.

Do whatever you want, but man, whenever my white friend at work says it — cringe city.
This, essentially

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Self hating and self depreciation for the purposes of comedy never bother me but saying something in that vein with no comedic edge with the apparent point of ingratiating yourself with the person you are talking to is creepy. It leads to "ummm ok" situations and actually casts as much doubt as the "black friend" to me.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if you're wanting cool points with your peers, sure.... go right ahead.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
If you're super woke and post on this forum then yea it's perfectly fine to be self-righteous

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'll dunk on white people because we're awful and deserve it, and its funny. It's also pretty revealing of the character of other white people when they get upset about it, more often than not they turn out to be less than savory people. But I don't need points, and if it makes a POC I'm around uncomfortable I won't do it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black people can tell when you're being performative or when you're being genuine when it comes to this.
So don't use it unless you're being real, and avoid using it unless you're around good friends.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Different strokes. Makes me cringe whenever I see it said in a non-joking manner, but you're not going to get jumped for it.

Oct 25, 2017
As a sentiment, I feel it all the time. But, like, would I say that in public, or even around friends unironically? Hell naw. Would just be super cringy.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yes, it's quite easy to get agitated enough by other white peoples behavior towards PoC.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Me: Hi, can I get a four pack of rolled chicken tacos?

Taco Bell: Sorry, we are sold out.

Me: Fucking white people!

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
To add to this, while these utterances come with a great degree of nuance in the presence of people of color, as a white person it is never "cringe" to acknowledge your own privilege societal inequalities and failings enjoyed by white people in general, especilly around other whites who might need to hear it.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
It comes off as strange to me. Articulate your feelings, don't go for a slogan, especially when you're in the group it's about.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
If you're a white person saying "f*ucking white people" you're saying "I understand what it is to be a non-white person and experience life and on the receiving end of white people bullshit".

It seems really presumptuous to me.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
There's a way to be jokey about it in a self-deprecating way but it's extremely awkward most of the time and saying it earnestly for some kind of approval is absolute cringe.

Mar 3, 2019
Considering you specifically mention using this phrase around only POC, it strikes me as performative wokeness. Also making statements like that about a whole ethnicity isn't cool.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to be "offensive", but c'mon. I can't imagine any context outside of super close friends where this wouldn't come off as cringe inducing/"look how much of an ally I am".

Avoid.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell nawl and yall are annoying when you do it

You are a white people, stfu and go talk to ur family lol

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
This is very contextual. Some white person at my work doing this would feel incredibly pandering and cringeworthy to me. But I've heard that kind of commentary from my girlfriend, and it's completely fine, because it comes from a genuine place. She's not just saying it to say it. She believes it, and is not blind to the dynamics of racial discrimination and white privilege.

I don't know your workplace, obviously, but I wouldn't be saying shit like that to peers around the office. Not unless you got a truly great personal connection with the people you're saying this stuff around.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I would refrain from doing it if for nothing else because it's a meaningless statement? What am I supposed to take from it?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but it's always been to people who I'm well familiar with.

People who don't know me that well, naw. Would read as well as saying "I'd vote Obama in for a third term."
I would refrain from doing it if for nothing else because it's a meaningless statement? What am I supposed to take from it?
I only used it as a punch line. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought this was done in a joking matter.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with saying that as a white person is that it inevitably comes across like you're distancing yourself from your own whiteness. And while there might be some merit to that, seeing as whiteness is not an innocuous phenomenon, the truth is that you'll never actually be able to do it. You aren't quite capable looking at the world through the lens of a PoC, the best you'll ever be able to do is be somewhat self-aware of your privilege, you'll never be entirely free of your biases. I'm sure you're much better person than, say, the average Trump voter, but are you above whiteness? No, you're not, and even the slimmest pretense that you are is counterproductive.

Here's the thing, though: there's at least one context where you can mostly get around that, and it's when you're around other white people. They're mirrors to you, you're a mirror to them. "Fucking white people" becomes a statement that's actually directed at whiteness, as opposed to a statement that situates you away from it.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
When you live around a lot of White Trash, you might say "Fucking white people" a lot - and I have no problems saying it to other white people or to people of color. Washington/Oregon rednecks are basically The Worst and I have no problems shit talking them openly, regardless of who is around.

And well, we have people like Matt Shea up here.

Also a valid thing to say whenever I see a damn Confederate Flag of all things this far north. Ugh.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
source.gif