• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it OK to say "Fucking White People" as a white person to POC during conversations?

• Yes

Votes: 570 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 558 49.5%

• Total voters

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I guess if you just read that post, sure. I did make others, I may have worded that one not great, idk. If you see anything like that in my post history by all means call it out so I can do better, same way I hope I'd be called on anything ignorant irl
Im just joking, you good people

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
if its nothing more than the thread title, no.
performative venting doesn't do much for me as an audience
if there's more than 'ugh we're just the worst, right?' to it, then perhaps.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
if you're being serious don't, it's ridiculously cringe. If it's a well placed bit of humour, especially after doing something harmlessly stereotypical like eating a jar of mayonnaise, go for it.

Oct 28, 2017
All contextual. They have a business near where I work where people ride a pedal-operated table-bike thing wuihile drinking beer and honking it's horn. Every time it passes I mock it for it's caucasity.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say it a lot, but never when it comes to serious matters. I'd much rather engage in discussions with actual points of emphasis and arguments than say something nonsensical and hand wavy like that.

Though when someone brings ambrosia to the bbq? Fucking white people.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
More than half of ERA things generalizing entire races of people is fine? Didn't know that.
Do you think a PoC would be in the wrong for saying "fucking white people"? Like, there is a legitimate justified anger there, it's not inherently a bad thing to vent that. If you took some time to understand why people say that I think you'd say "shit, that actually makes sense".
Though when someone brings potato salad with olives in it? Fucking white people.
Uncle Todd says it's his secret recipe but we know he just buys it at Target and puts it in a bowl.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
Anyone who thinks this is okay really needs to visit Europe for some old Euro on Euro discrimination. There's nothing wrong with white people. There's nothing wrong with black people. Or brown people. They are skin colours. Stop perpetuating this stupid racial thinking.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I would totally drink a turmeric soy latte but then it takes a lot of caucacity to make a YouTube video about how they totally changed my life or whatever.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's done with the gentleman's agreement that you are gonna do a racist comment against yourself later.

Kidding, but it's just performative dishonest shit.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Anyone who thinks this is okay really needs to visit Europe for some old Euro on Euro discrimination. There's nothing wrong with white people. There's nothing wrong with black people. Or brown people. They are skin colours. Stop perpetuating this stupid racial thinking.
To be fair, not everyone can just hop over to Europe. Stuff may be different over there, I don't know but like it's also different here. It would be pretty hard to drop "racial thinking" when from birth to death it's a huge determining factor in everything and when it's as deeply embedded as it is in our culture and on a systemic level, ignoring it isn't going to help. the only people that hurts are the victims of racism, especially when white people are usually the first ones to say "why does everything have to be about race?"

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think it can be fine, but I think only in a very specific context.

Most of the time it comes off like this.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
There is a difference between hating the fact that you're white or hating white people and being aware of and acknowledging power structures, systematic racism and social injustices.

Sometimes when a friend who is a person of colour explains to you things along those lines, "fuckin white people" can be a pretty apt response.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what are we supposed to say to you after you say that ? Hug you and tell you it's not your fault ?

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it acceptable to stereotype a race because of what is assumed to be one person? If the answer is no then no it isn't ok. I don't doubt that we as white folk have had it much easier than most but it doesn't ever make it ok to judge a race but some shithead.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory whataboutisms and comparisons concerning race over multiple posts, a similar history of dismissing concerns of racism
Off the top of my head, there isn't any biases at the workplace or storefront that work against white workers or consumers. Bias training isn't meant for improving white quality of life, that's already at peak levels. OP isn't a hypocrite.
See this is horse shit and the exact sentiment that gave rise to fuckheads like Trump. Uneducated poor white people see this as a GRAVE injustice. In a sense they are right. Never have they been more poor. I digress though, for someone who teaches bias training this is pure crap.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
To be fair, not everyone can just hop over to Europe. Stuff may be different over there, I don't know but like it's also different here. It would be pretty hard to drop "racial thinking" when from birth to death it's a huge determining factor in everything and when it's as deeply embedded as it is in our culture and on a systemic level, ignoring it isn't going to help. the only people that hurts are the victims of racism, especially when white people are usually the first ones to say "why does everything have to be about race?"
I'm not suggesting that we ignore racism. I'm just saying that responding with "fucking white people" to things that some white people have done is stupid, possibly hypocritical, and perpetuates the same sort of racial generalising that I hope we're trying to move away from.

Ultimately, just know your audience if you're going to say it. As a 'PoC', I'd certainly cringe if a white person said it to me unironically. Nobody's melanin content is making them do anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Uneducated poor white people see this as a GRAVE injustice. In a sense they are right. Never have they been more poor.
They vote against their own self interests because they don't want minorities getting or having anything.

Reap what they sow. No sympathy for poor white people who harm themselves and vote for politicians who don't have their interests in mind just in order to spite minorities.

Fuck em.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Saying it like that veers more into the territory of judging an entire race on the action of an individual. Racial prejudice and the like just doesn't benefit anyone and does more to make you look worse than look better.

That being said, if you are good friends with people of different cultures and you say things like "lol westerners" over largely silly things, then that's no big deal. They would know it's just having fun at your own cultures expense. basically the difference between saying "fuck men" and "lol guys thinking with their pants again"

If you aren't good friends though, I wouldn't recommend it. Just makes you look kinda pathetic

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They vote against their own self interests because they don't want minorities getting or having anything.

Reap what they sow. No sympathy for poor white people who harm themselves and vote for politicians who don't have their interests in mind just in order to spite minorities.

Fuck em.
I won't get into how stupid stupid people are. The same sentiment can be provided to all the folks out there Who just don't vote. Voter apathy is a huge issue and I think the landscape of this country could have been much different over the last 20 years if people just fucking voted. Trump wouldn't be in office if the minority voter turned out in the last election. That's a fucking fact. So people whether they vote or not vote against their self interest

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I don't think I've ever said it to a POC but def said it among white friends. And we all agree. Fuckin white people.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not suggesting that we ignore racism. I'm just saying that responding with "fucking white people" to things that some white people have done is stupid, possibly hypocritical, and perpetuates the same sort of racial generalising that I hope we're trying to move away from.
I don't know that racism perpetuated by white people onto minorities is really at all in the same ballpark as any inverse of that. White people by and large are not the victims of racism to any significant degree except by our own perception of being victims. You could make the argument that white people are "victims" of racial anger, but then you'd have to look at the context of why that is, and when you look at it like that it makes sense.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I'm very much white passing but as funny as it used to be, it's kinda gotten cringey now that it's found its way into media as a joke used by white writers. I get being upset by other people making you look stupid and it's okay to express that and all, but people definitely need to be careful with how they express it because it can be annoying in many contexts.

Oct 27, 2017
I won't get into how stupid stupid people are. The same sentiment can be provided to all the folks out there Who just don't vote. Voter apathy is a huge issue and I think the landscape of this country could have been much different over the last 20 years if people just fucking voted. Trump wouldn't be in office if the minority voter turned out in the last election. That's a fucking fact. So people whether they vote or not vote against their self interest
Voter suppression in the Midwest and the gutting of the voting rights act plays a large part in this equation. You can correctly point out that apathy and low turnout is an issue, and it is an important one that needs to be fixed, but it's a problem across nearly every demographic of the population. Think about how much more effective Obama would have been as a President if people had shown up in the 2010 and 2012 midterms.

Also dangerous to pin this on minorities when the most reliable left vote comes from minority voting blocs and black women in particular. White people, certainly self-professed evangelicals and uneducated white males, are the people that turn out and elect people like Trump by either voting for him or hemming and hawing about not voting for people who have their interests in mind because they have a 'D' next to their names.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
That isn't nuance though. That's the difference between racism and fighting injustice. That is a HUGE difference.
Well yeah, I've previously argued that it is a huge difference. I meant nuance in the sense that it might not be easy for some people to realise the importance of their choice of language when making such points.

Edit: Assuming OP isn't a huge racist.

Last edited:

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voter suppression in the Midwest and the gutting of the voting rights act plays a large part in this equation. You can correctly point out that apathy and low turnout is an issue, and it is an important one that needs to be fixed, but it's a problem across nearly every demographic of the population. Think about how much more effective Obama would have been as a President if people had shown up in the 2010 and 2012 midterms.

Also dangerous to pin this on minorities when the most reliable left vote comes from minority voting blocs and black women in particular. White people, certainly self-professed evangelicals and uneducated white males, are the people that turn out and elect people like Trump by either voting for him or hemming and hawing about not voting for people who have their interests in mind because they have a 'D' next to their names.
I don't disagree that suppression and gerrymandering is a big issue but it isn't as prevalent as people just not showing to vote. This isn't just on minorities this is on every race. This is a societal issue. People who don't vote are betraying their country.

edit:

I will also say that anyone who hears that someone says they aren't voting should shame them. I blame the majority of what is occurring to the apathy of this country. If people actually fucking cared about who represents them we wouldn't see the problems we are having. People can complain all they want about issues with the constitution or career politicians but at the end of the day those assholes like McConnell rely on voter apathy. Shit, the entire GOP rely on voter apathy. A no vote these days is a vote for the GOP.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
like every single other "joke" format these days, it has been summarily beaten six feet into the ground by people poorly imitating those who made actually clever jokes about white nonsense

however, because i spend all of my waking time following upcoming twitter jokes made by my fellow irony poisoned Posters, nothing i say is ever "cringe" and i am therefore sufficiently licensed to make the jokes without the risk of being... dare i say it... "cringe"

but in all seriousness, there are *much* better ways to empathize with the someone as they're talking about serious issues like discrimination than hyperbolic self-flagellation that invokes an online meme format - that doesn't help anyone and over time will hurt your own self-esteem

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
thats a pretty pretentious thing to do honestly. if you're going out of your way to make this point to PoC then it comes across like you trying too hard to prove something. it comes across more like "white people suck am i right? but I'm one of the good ones trust me!" You shouldn't have to put entire groups people below you to show how progressive you are.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I voted no because everyone is going to think you're trying way too hard.

That's not even accounting how cringey I am imagine you doing it as well. The execution would be hard to watch.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference in "fuck white privilege" and "fuck white people" though. One is entirely valid. The other is racist.
The difference is one of whether or not you are sensitive to metonyms. I feel no type of way when LGBT people shit on "the heteros," because I inherently understand that's a succinct frustration with the social attitudes and systems propogated primarily by heterosexual people, and I'm certainly not about to call it bigoted. And I'll be honest; I can't mentally empathize with people in majority groups who get their feelings hurt over this kind of rhetoric. It just doesn't bother me. It would be better to expend energy being upset by these minor double standards to fixing the conditions that these double standards are criticizing.

Das jus me doe.

Last edited: