• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Megalosaro

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Southern California
. I don't believe in god, and I have a distrust of organized religion. However…

My girlfriend goes to Saddleback church in Lake Forest. Lately I've been thinking about attending some events they hold. The church offers all sorts of free workshops on financial planning and career development, and I want to go. However, I feel like I would be a hypocrite to attend, since I'm not a member of the church and a nonbeliever.

Am I being irrational? Is it morally acceptable for me to attend those events?

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Yes, that's one of the reasons a church should be there. They should be an assistance in the community. From my own church's viewpoint they don't care who or what you are, they just want to help.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as someone doesn't specifically say you can't, then go for it.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017

My girlfriend goes to Saddleback church in Lake Forest. Lately I've been thinking about attending some events they hold. The church offers all sorts of free workshops on financial planning and career development, and I want to go. However, I feel like I would be a hypocrite to attend, since I'm not a member of the church and a nonbeliever.

The Church is putting on those events as a charity to the community. You're a member of the community and I'm sure they'd love a chance to proselytize at you

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I'd think it would be ok. I think Churches are supposed to help people, regardless of their faith. I know my own church/faith excepts all people, and gives people free meals, no questions asked. Any day of the week you wanna eat, come see us.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine and expected. I imagine it's one of the reasons they do these sorts of things.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As long as you don't misrepresent yourself I'd say there's nothing wrong. Be aware though that by going to those events there will inevitably be pressure that you have to be more religious.

Tideas

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
since they're tax exempt, see it as you making use of your non-collected taxes from them

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Most people that attend probably don't believe any of it either. They just go with the flow.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Our church offers services specifically for this purpose. I'd be concerned about a church that doesn't and/or charges for it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
they probably don't care. if it weighs that heavily on you then just ask them if it's ok.

also it's an evangelical mega church so i'm sure they won't be hurting for money if you use some of their resources.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
you definitely can go, some of their advice might be intertwined with faith-based elements (pray with your wife before you ask for that raise or whatever). if you can stomach that, go for it.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely - if it's a decent church with real believers, they're doing a service for the community and they really want to help with no expectations. They may hope that you see something in the believers that make you want to look closer, but absolutely no problem using the resources they're providing. I grew up in a church like that.

Been hard to ever find another one, though...

Oct 27, 2017
"Let those who would need financial planning and career development enter the house of the lord, and let their souls be replenished with quality powerpoint presentations and free coffee." - Leviticus 15:4

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you approach the church and the people there with respect and sincerity, then I wouldn't worry about it. Churches should exist to serve communities and that doesn't just mean the most devout.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the moral problem. Christians are supposed to be generous and kind to others regardless of their beliefs. That's what the New Testament is supposed to be about, IIRC.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Giving knows no boundaries. Church and other places of worship welcome everyone, believer and non-believer, do take advantage of whatever resource they have.

Example: Broke and hungry as fuck? Go to a Sikh temple, they offer free fresh good two or three times a day, no questions asked.

Similarly, you need some guidance in certain aspects in life, including development, take advantage of all the resources they'll happily provide.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably contributing to the reason they're holding it in the first place. Most churches won't mind. But some are very selective for... reasons.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Their view point should be that their god is the one god of everyone, so, that includes you regardless if you believe (from their viewpoint). Just don't go around telling them you don't.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
You are good. You read a lot of horror stories on here about religion but typically the people who run these groups are incredibly friendly and love meeting new people.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Its part of their belief to serve the community at large and its also part of their outreach. Just dont act offended when they talk about God or go out of your way to boast about your beliefs and youll be fine.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Be respectful of the parish and you're good to go. Most community churches don't act like a secret clubs you can only come in if you pass their believer test.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
My son, only those who accept the Lord's teachings can also accept his free workshops as well.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
A local church in my neighborhood has several community programs and they openly welcome everybody regardless of religious or sexual preference.

Some other churches would not be so welcoming, but unlikely they're providing programs open to the public anyway.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have a lot of friends that are pastors/work in theological fields. Granted, I swim in the very progressive end of things, but I've interacted with all sorts of churches. I say you're fine. Every church knows this is going to happen and most are happy to do it. Especially a church that's as large and well off as Saddleback.

That said many of the more conservative churches see these programs as a recruiting tool. They do them out of good will, but there are people there that will see this as an opportunity to connect with people who are unbelievers and non-members and draw them in. I don't mean that negatively. It's not really crazy that a church would put a lot of work and resources into something and then want others to join them. Just be aware of this. It's not always malicious or manipulative, it's just a community inviting you into a community. Other times though, it can be very blatant or aggressive. Personally, I don't think you'll run into issues at Saddleback from what I know of them.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
go, churches are great places to build character.

you can do far worse than saddleback, far worse.

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the time, as long as members aren't questioning your beliefs or asking you to enroll, churches are pretty chill and friendly places. I just don't close my eyes or bow my head during prayers. Which lead to moments like this.

65bs1.gif

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I would have no problem doing it myself or seeing others who need it. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta to survive and get back on your feet. My fiance's church does a program in Nashville where they will bring in homeless and prepare a warm meal and cottage for the night in the gym to sleep. I don't have a religion myself and I've been there to serve food for them and to talk to them. The church will try to push their religion on those there, but if that doesn't bother you then go for it. If they are snobby and won't serve because of your faith just lie until you get help or help and leave. My mother and I have had to go to churches before to get help to keep the electricity on or get gift cards to buy groceries. I just hate sitting for a hour in service with my future in laws. So boring lol.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course

As the saying goes, 'Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.'