• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big shoulder pad suit design was introduced in the same game that image above is from (Metroid II).

TWdpB3F.jpg
Yep.

Super Metroid did it too.
Samus+-+Suits.jpg

Fuck I love the Gravity Suit.

This also reminds me that I hate how in Smash they give Samus lame green and pink suits, but not the yellow suit.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 will feature a new design.

Different shoulder pads

Jul 20, 2018
Considering just about every game offers new suit designs, I really don't think it's necessary?

But I always change Link to Tunic of the Wild in Smash too so maybe I'm just resistant to change.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Yep.

Super Metroid did it too.
Samus+-+Suits.jpg

Fuck I love the Gravity Suit.

This also reminds me that I hate how in Smash they give Samus lame green and pink suits, but not the yellow suit.
It's fantastic. Honestly it should never be replaced. Sure introduce new suits like what Prime routinely does, but replacing this one would be a huge mistake.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like redesigning the Hylian Shield. You can tweak it, but it's pretty much a part of the character. Certainly there's no shortage of interesting suits in the Prime games.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The big shoulder pad suit design was introduced in the same game that image above is from (Metroid II).

TWdpB3F.jpg
Yeah I know. I just think it wouldn't be too bad to reduce the size of the shoulders a bit to match the older designs. Compare the shoulders of the Samus Returns Varia Suit to the one from Metroid II.
The 3D games have completely fucked up proportions, no real human could fit into those suits.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It kinda is inevitable to happen in Metroid 5. I don't see a post fusion game happening with the Fusion Suit, and with a new Chozo faction now revealed to be out there I can see her gaining an evolved version of it from exploring their planet. Personally, I see them going for something inspired by the fusion suit, with the Metroid back, arm spikes, and less bulky shoulders, while having it more mechanical and Chozo like at the same time.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They could start by fixing the name which was a katakana mistranslation of "barrier" (バリア).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hopefully they can redesign it to not lose powers. Seems to be a rather weak feature of the suit that Samus should've had looked into years ago.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
u7yctPC.jpg

If this is visual chaos, I don't want visual harmony.
This always looked super painful to me. I like that Samus is a tank in Power Armor suit, but both her shoulders have to be dislocated and drawn out of their sockets to fit into this thing.

84780190.png

Like how?

I'm okay with embellishments but at least make it somewhat possible she's a human being.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Samus' suit with the bulged rounded shoulders always makes me wonder about limits for the range of motion (for the arm) in that thing. It is iconic but I doubt it would work as is IRL without major changes.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Zero Mission has the perfect version of the Varia/Power suit IMO. Sleeker than the way too bulky prime version but also not too sleek. There's also plenty of other suits, such as the PED suit, that while retaining the essence of the varia suit, still manage to be interesting and unique.

316e415e73704dac5115e3941d86d5b8.jpg

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This always looked super painful to me. I like that Samus is a tank in Power Armor suit, but both her shoulders have to be dislocated and drawn out of their sockets to fit into this thing.

84780190.png

Like how?

I'm okay with embellishments but at least make it somewhat possible she's a human being.

How do you feel about this?
latest

Edit: Also this is the Metroid Prime model
6PZAADQ.png

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The Fusion Suit was already a big downgrade in my opinion, although it was still better than a generic sci-fi space armor would be. Anyone who thinks that the Fusion colours mix better than the classic colours also sounds insane to me.
Fusion with the classic colors looks pretty good though, and I like the Metroid pattern on the back of it.
mfje-1.png
mfu-32.png

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Like how?

This old art made it work.

SUwhavf.png

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say no. Varia Suit is basically one of the most important aspects that help people recognize Samus. Besides, it is quite unique with the shoulders and orange colors to make it special.

That said, I wanted Smash Bros Ultimate to use the Prime Varia Suit or Samus Return Varia Suit instead of Other M.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible but hard to do right.

I think the shoulder pads should stay in some form, and the same with the helmet, but the rest I'd be tentatively open to them messing with.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
uEgDmbA

It's not gonna sell you OP, with your bizarre complaints about colour scheme (oh yeah, Link and his blue/brown/yellow etc. "colour scheme" definitely comes more together), but Samus Returns really makes the weirdly busy suit in the art look great in low-poly 3DS gameplay - the Gravity Suit also looks like a suitable final upgrade with the additional neon lights.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This old art made it work.

SUwhavf.png
Well barring her ridiculous legs and neck (but okay some cartoon liberty is allowed), she would have to walk with her arms extended outwards, and the suit not matching that stance.

How do you feel about this?
latest
True, that's even more painful.
Edit: Also this is the Metroid Prime model
6PZAADQ.png
yeah it works with the arms extended, it takes away from the fact that her arms are coming out her sides.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that make it old for me are the rounded line on the helmet etc, I find the prime 2/3 varia suit almos timeless.

Oct 27, 2017

84780190.png

Like how?

Alien bird DNA is how. It's how she can even do what she does in the morph ball, unlike the Space Pirates who all died horrifically trying to copy her.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If they ever get around to making Metroid 5, then the chances of a new suit design for story reasons are pretty high.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It looks like a sci-fi design that has not aged especially well for me. While I admit that the cannon and shoulder pads are iconic, so was Link's hat and green suit and a new, more modern design has been successfully made in BOTW. Another problem I have with colors. It has too many colors that do not fit well with each other. The basic suit has blue, green, yellow, red and orange. It is a visual chaos.
This is why we can't have nice things. Green cap + tunic >>>>> capless Champion's tunic, and not just because 'nostalgia.' The green is more unique and the cap adds a distinct personality to the silhouette of the character.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the vein of this suggestion, should we shave Mario's mustache? After three and a half decades of hair over the lip, we're clearly due for a refreshing visual change.

mario_without_moustache_2.jpg

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
You mean that thing that's literally redesigned every game? Has she ever had the exact same design across two games? Maybe the Prime games since they could've just reused assets for the sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the suit's super iconic. Almost every game has changed the design slightly, but theres never any denying that it's samus.

I do like some depictions of the suit as more of a mech with samus curled up in the chest.

The smash 4/ultimate depiction is my favorite in terms of detail. Sleak, clean lines. Samus Returns looks more like a man-made tech, rather than alien, with its utiliarian details. So I see that as a step back.

This is why we can't have nice things. Green cap + tunic >>>>> capless Champion's tunic, and not just because 'nostalgia.' The green is more unique and the cap adds a distinct personality to the silhouette of the character.

Right. The entire reason they gave him a new tunic is they thought if you had the iconic tunic from the start, you would never want to change into something else.

I do think that with the character designs in recent games, Link's outfit does end up looking out of place. Especially in BotW, a majority of characters have a much more modern feel to them. A lot of layers and accessories. A simple tunic and hat just doesn't fit in. The climbing gear even looks straight up like a modern pair of pants and shoes, with a tshirt. It's weird, not a fan. I'd like to go back to more of a grounded medieval styling in that regard.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also worth mentioning that I think the Varia suit was always meant to be bulkier. It seems like the Power suit being sleek is to show that it is the base/bare essentials suit.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Right. The entire reason they gave him a new tunic is they thought if you had the iconic tunic from the start, you would never want to change into something else.

I do think that with the character designs in recent games, Link's outfit does end up looking out of place. Especially in BotW, a majority of characters have a much more modern feel to them. A lot of layers and accessories. A simple tunic and hat just doesn't fit in. The climbing gear even looks straight up like a modern pair of pants and shoes, with a tshirt. It's weird, not a fan. I'd like to go back to more of a grounded medieval styling in that regard.
I get that if people had a choice between the green and blue, they'd mostly do green, but I did that anyway (spammed amiibo until I got a green cap, then dyed the Hylian tunic green). But I switched out gear all the time anyway for the set bonuses, so gating the green cap and tunic until the literal end of the game felt unnecessary.

As for feeling out of place, wouldn't that have fit the game even more? Link is from 100 years ago. If a warrior from 1918 showed up 100 years later, he'd look like this:

Which might feel just a little outdated and out of place, lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see some sort of mix between Fusion and Varia, but the general aesthetic I don't think should be changed. Varia or default Power suit should be featured in some capacity.

I did really like the Dark Suit from Echoes though, it mixed it up a little bit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I get that if people had a choice between the green and blue, they'd mostly do green, but I did that anyway (spammed amiibo until I got a green cap, then dyed the Hylian tunic green). But I switched out gear all the time anyway for the set bonuses, so gating the green cap and tunic until the literal end of the game felt unnecessary.

As for feeling out of place, wouldn't that have fit the game even more? Link is from 100 years ago. If a warrior from 1918 showed up 100 years later, he'd look like this:

Which might feel just a little outdated and out of place, lol

Yeah, I agree that I swapped clothes even when I had an amiibo tunic. I'm just saying that idea is a testiment to the outfit's iconic status.

And yeah, you could say that style changed over 100 years, but I would assume being plunged into an age of ruin would take them the opposite direction. So idk about that.

Nov 16, 2017
Was always a fan of the design of earlier suits up to Super Metroid, which got the proportions just right in my opinion. I never got onboard with the Prime designs with the monstrous shoulders and tiny elongated limbs.

220px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

This is the perfect look imo.

gravitysuitsamus1.jpg

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Fusion with the classic colors looks pretty good though, and I like the Metroid pattern on the back of it.
mfje-1.png
mfu-32.png

I think this would be a great baseline start for the next game. IMO they should change up their Suit Upgrade approach from "straightforward upgrades" to "specialized configurations."

Like, the Fusion suit now gives Samus the ability to modify her armor on the fly and as she picks up new pieces of tech (Chozo, Space Pirate, Federation) she can shift into different looks that grant different buffs, abilities, and techniques.

Give the sleek, organic looking suit some CQC abilities and better movement (Genji from Overwatch).
Something closer to her Metroid 2 look for long range combat and power combos (classic Metroid)
Some giant bulky tank style armor that grants extra durability and overwhelming firepower (War Machine from the MCU)

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Off topic but I need to ask. Is the Varia suit unisex or specifically for females only?