• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I find it a bit problematic that when people of color are represented in media and video games, they find white actors or actresses to voice them. I know we had a similar discussion about the Simpsons character Apu a while back, and it seems like this trend isn't going away any time soon. I find it a bit disheartening that dev's don't look past the mainstream talent to fill in the roles for their minority characters. I know Apex legends has been touted as a game that promotes diversity, but this always left a bitter taste in my mouth. What are your thoughts on this ERA?

Here's the voice lines in question:

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes IMO. It's a job that could've been given to a black women(Overwatch/Blizzard do a good job of pairing their characters with appropriate VAs). Lifelines voice is good but...yeah.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
No, I mean Kratos is not voiced by a bearded white guy, the character and the voice actor doesn't have to match 100%. As long as they represent the character and their ethnicity with respect, it should be fine.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It doesn't have to be. Buuut it's a bad look and things like this shouldn't still be happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not really. Its been done in entertainment frequently over the years.

Sure it'd be nice to have actual VA's that match the characters but if the chosen voice does a good job most people are okay with it.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
No. Unless the entire cast is voiced by Caucasians. Otherwise, whoever fit the role best should get the job. I also didn't have any issue with Laura Baily voicing Nadine in Uncharted. Or Christopher Judge voicing Kratos. They were perfect for the roles.

Jun 14, 2018
In this instance, no. I can't honestly say that Apex Legends looks like the type of game where they really put an emphasis on story. It looks like they just needed someone to do some lines and accepted the first person that could do a decent job.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a fan of it at all. I get that the race of a voice actor shouldn't matter but simply put, black voice actors don't exactly have the same opportunities to voice these characters compared to their white counterparts. I think in the case of Nadine, it's fine that Laura Bailey is voicing her considering they brought her on before they even determined Nadine was gonna be black, but if Respawn knew Lifeline was going to be a black woman but still decided to bring on a white voice actress then eh, really not a fan of the decision but what can you do?

It's rare that you see a black woman voicing fictional white woman but you seem to get a lot of cases of white women voicing fictional black women. I'm just saying that if I was in any position of power, I'd go through the lengths to find a talented black woman to voice a black character as I feel in some cases, they can really inject their own experiences of being a black woman into the character. Case in point - Anika Noni Rose voicing Tiana from Princess & The Frog. She's basically synonymous with Tiana because she was given that influence to help write the character and dictate the direction.

Last edited:

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
It's a french accent.
Many french people are pocs. Or have their roots on french-colonised countries like Senegal.

That it would have 100% more fidelity if the VA were actually poc? Well, maybe but, honestly, as long as the representation is well handled (aka: not stereotyped) it should not matter that much.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Problematic isn't the best way to approach this question. Would it be better to have proper representation of gender and ethnicity in voice roles? Sure. Is there ill intent and any direct negative impact in this casting? Probably not.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I usually don't think it's problematic but this time, I kind of get why it can be.
She's putting such an heavy african accent, it's kind of weird. A lot of people like to mock this accent, that's probably why it's weird to me.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
It was asked before and it is okay

a88172d6389b492d7c4efc81db562dde6f151570.jpg

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
If you want it to be, there's something there.

It's inherently illogical, however, to require considering outward appearances when casting for VOICE.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the VA doesn't make a parody of black women, it shouldn't be an issue.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It can be. And I certainly wouldn't just handwave it away like so many are doing in this thread, but it's up to you to decide if it is and why and explain it, not just identifying it.

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a poll on this thread, it would be overwhelmingly no

Status
Not open for further replies.