• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Would it be problematic if a white character would be voiced by a black person?

I don't see why this would be any problem at all.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I´d like to add because I work in the field.

When casting VO artists you usually write a small briefing and send it out to agencies.

They will get back to you with audio files of VO talent that they think fits your brief - pictures are not involved.

So unless your briefing contains a paragraph about how the VO artist is supposed to look (you don´t do that) you will get VO snippets that don´t regard skin color or ethnicity.

You usually see the talent that you booked for the first time in the studio.

EDIT: So again, I´d call it a missed opportunity.

Is there no scope to ask for specific ethnicity when you send the request?

I'm honestly not surprised that there is an almost "colourblind" casting model but the fact that we still end up with mostly white voice actors is indicative of an underlying problem.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017

When casting VO artists you usually write a small briefing and send it out to agencies.

They will get back to you with audio files of VO talent that they think fits your brief - pictures are not involved.

So unless your briefing contains a paragraph about how the VO artist is supposed to look (you don´t do that) you will get VO snippets that don´t regard skin color or ethnicity.

Thanks for the inside information!

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is the same excuse used when john wayne was cast as genghis khan. "He's a good actor". It kept hollywood white for a very long time and honestly it should be unacceptable for VA.
Research has definitively found that you can't tell race or colour by voice. This is nothing like Hollywood (and I fully agree with you about Hollywood's egregious history in this regard).

Surely the fact a person of any colour can play a person of any part in a game or cartoon is a huge positive?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

I feel people who make this argument intentionally ignore the fact that black voice actors and actresses don't have the same opportunities as their white cohorts.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Research has definitively found that you can't tell race or colour by voice. This is nothing like Hollywood (and I fully agree with you about Hollywood's egregious history in this regard).

Surely the fact a person of any colour can play a person of any part in a game or cartoon is a huge positive?

It would be a positive if it was a level playing field. But when white VAs just get massively more opportunities than minorities do, and minority roles go to white people...it can be alot better in that regard.

In theory voice acting should be a level playing field for any minority. But it isn't.

Is Lifeline african?
Her name is Indian/Nepalese etc..

Ajay Che is Lifeline name
FC4 main protagonist is Ajay Ghale and he's nepalese.

She has a Caribbean accent and is clearly a black woman. Gibraltar isn't European for example.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, this isn't an issue in the slightest.

They had a character, they listened to her voice and thought it fit the best and hired her. Simple as that. What race the VA is has no consequence on anything.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is - and if you don't see why you really should start diversify the people you talk to and learn something.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a positive if it was a level playing field. But when white VAs just get massively more opportunities than minorities do, and minority roles go to white people...it can be alot better in that regard.

In theory voice acting should be a level playing field for any minority. But it isn't.
I hear you, that's the one single counter-point I could see against what I said.

But do we have the receipts? Do we know white VAs get more opportunities? I mean it's probably an inherent fact of structural racism, but some numbers would be good to hammer it home.

As GLAM pointed out, in many cases you don't even see the artist until they're in the studio. You probably see their name and that's it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel people who make this argument intentionally ignore the fact that black voice actors and actresses don't have the same opportunities as their white cohorts.

We had a professional voice actor come in to the thread saying that they typically don't even get to see what a person looks like until well after booking the person for their voice.

Deliberately asking for people of certain skin colour in a job application for something like that where the ability to do the job has no bearing whatsoever on the person's race seems like an easy way to get yourself a discrimination lawsuit.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Yes of course. Black and brown women are already marginalized on the job market and in the games industry, so this was an opportune chance to give one a job.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The argument, if you'd cared to look for it in this thread, is that black and other minority VAs are underrepresented in the industry, so when the roles perhaps most suited to a particular minority demographic (such as when one calling for a particular regional dialect and accent) are taken by white or American actors, it does harm in a way that doesn't happen when the reverse takes place.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Tbh the woman doesn't really look a white person. More like dual ethnic.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no scope to ask for specific ethnicity when you send the request?

I'm honestly not surprised that there is an almost "colourblind" casting model but the fact that we still end up with mostly white voice actors is indicative of an underlying problem.

Sure, but when you ask for VO talent to voice a black Jamaican character the agency will just look for Jamaican accents in their database.

You can´t hear skin color - for a VO talent agency it´s not relevant. Again - missed opportunity.

Somewhere in the background you can hear Trump asking why there is no white history month.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
A little, i guess. I really like her attitude and style but its a bit weird that they would choose her for a performance with such a heavy accent.

Bit of an aside: for a long time i assumed Bangalore was voiced by Jennifer Hale but apparently she has a black actress giving a performance that just sounds similar to me.

I think there are def problems w this type of thing esp in games where often the same few actors are used to voice a wide variety of characters. But i think overall the effort to have variety and fairly respectful depiction of different types of people is good and important. Not a easy thing to talk about, but worth talking about

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
She looks like she could be mixed. My general rule of thumb is that POC characters should be voiced by POC, and if the character is supposed to have a specific accent then you should use a voice actor who actually has that accent.

Also representation matters, which includes the voice actor behind the character. WHITE VOICE ACTORS ARE NOT UNDERREPRESENTED

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

maxresdefault.jpg

Seemingly not

An interpretation of a role of a fictional/real life character in different forms of media?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you, that's the one single counter-point I could see against what I said.

But do we have the receipts? Do we know white VAs get more opportunities? I mean it's probably an inherent fact of structural racism, but some numbers would be good to hammer it home.

As GLAM pointed out, in many cases you don't even see the artist until they're in the studio. You probably see their name and that's it.

Do we need receipts in order to point out that white people get more opportunities?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
We had a professional voice actor come in to the thread saying that they typically don't even get to see what a person looks like until well after booking the person for their voice.

Deliberately asking for people of certain skin colour in a job application for something like that where the ability to do the job has no bearing whatsoever on the person's race seems like an easy way to get yourself a discrimination lawsuit.
That's fair enough but like another poster posted pointed out in this thread, the fact this "colorblind" model still has us ending up with mostly white voice actors in games is kind of emblematic of a major systemic issue in the industry.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This is a Japanese character played by an African man.

images

If the voice actor is good, or makes the character believable, it is fine.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
To be quite honest, no. Especially in this kind of game where story isn't even close to being priority.

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
No. I don't see any issue with it. The only time I care about the voice acting is if it's too jarring to hear. And in that case, I don't even check who voiced that character or if there's a mismatch somewhere.

Admittedly, I don't care so much about the VA behind the voice for most media I consume so I don't bother looking up which actor/actress voiced who.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Casting actual people of colour to play the few roles created for people of colour is the bare minimum that we should tolerate from billion dollar corporations. Anything less is irresponsible.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

colorblind is where it's at

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence, trolling.
I think the Pikachu in the new movie should be voiced by a mouse not a white male!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Mela Lee was mixed race?

MV5BYTkzYmQ1ZTMtNjAwYi00ZmRiLThjNGYtNTQ2NjgxN2JiN2MyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4MzAxOTc@._V1_SX1499_CR0,0,1499,999_AL_.jpg

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that talent should not be the most important requirement, but couldn't they selected a talented black women voice actor to voice her? Especially in a single player game with a rich story.

Overwatch does this for the very few lines that each character has in an MP game.
Nadine was cast before it it was even decided she was a black character.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...ley-responds-uncharted-4-casting-controversy/

On topic: It doesn't seem like the VA for Lifeline is white.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard anyone complain about marina from splatoon being voiced by a asian person.

It should not matter tbh.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but when you ask for VO talent to voice a black Jamaican character the agency will just look for Jamaican accents in their database.

You can´t hear skin color - for a VO talent agency it´s not relevant. Again - missed opportunity.

Somewhere in the background you can hear Trump asking why there is no white history month.

Super useful background, thanks very much. Seems the issue is even more deeply rooted and systemic than I thought.

Search for Jamaican accents probably doesn't include any actual Jamaicans.

To those suggesting we ignore this, nothing changes unless we speak about it.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
No. If I hadn't come here, I wouldn't even know for sure that the doubler was white, it shows her talent.

Then that's diversity, we're all the same after all.

Oct 31, 2017
That's fair enough but like another poster posted pointed out in this thread, the fact this "colorblind" model still has us ending up with mostly white voice actors in games is kind of emblematic of a major systemic issue in the industry.
So what's equal to you? And I'm asking this in good faith, not jabbing at you or anything. According to the census if you include mixed race black Americans, they constitute about 18% of the population. So should 18% of VAs be black? And until then is it okay for black VAs to voice non-black characters because they're underrepresented but whites by your approximation are over represented and therefor "problematic" when voicing any character that's not white? I'm just curious what numbers and percents this industry needs to be at for you to say things are equal.

Personally? I don't care who voices what as long as the quality is good, so I don't have a very passionate take about any of this. So I'm curious what someone like you, who appears to care quite a bit, considers where the goalpost should be.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I the only person who thinks looking up voice actors and then speculating about their race is fucking weird and creepy?
No, you're not alone. I have no idea what any of the voice actors in any of the games I've played look like -- other than David Hayter -- and I think it's strange that anyone would look them up to check to see if they're the right race or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.