• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, it's not problematic. Unless you want it to be - but then you need to prove that it was intentional. Can you prove it?

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hmm.. I guess it would be more authentic to match the voice actor to the character like that. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary or anything.

Oct 28, 2017
MV5BYTkzYmQ1ZTMtNjAwYi00ZmRiLThjNGYtNTQ2NjgxN2JiN2MyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4MzAxOTc@._V1_SX1499_CR0,0,1499,999_AL_.jpg

This is the woman in question by the way...

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling in reference to race representation, inflammatory false equivalencies
It's a french accent.
Many french people are pocs. Or have their roots on french-colonised countries like Senegal.

That it would have 100% more fidelity if the VA were actually poc? Well, maybe but, honestly, as long as the representation is well handled (aka: not stereotyped) it should not matter that much.
Wow why didn't they cast a French VA

American gets the role again

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not a fan of it at all. I get that the race of a voice actor shouldn't matter but simply put, black voice actors don't exactly have the same opportunities to voice these characters compared to their white counterparts. I think in the case of Nadine, it's fine that Laura Bailey is voicing her considering they brought her on before they even determined Nadine was gonna be black, but if Respawn knew Lifeline was going to be a black woman but still decided to bring on a white voice actress then eh, really not a fan of the decision but what can you do?
I'm not sure this is true? If you take someone like Phil Lamarr, he's voiced men, women, and basically every ethnicity I can think of. Same with Cree Summer. You can call them exceptions to the rule, but I dunno, all the VAs I can think of have pretty diverse roles if the range is there.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's a french accent.
Many french people are pocs. Or have their roots on french-colonised countries like Senegal.

That it would have 100% more fidelity if the VA were actually poc? Well, maybe but, honestly, as long as the representation is well handled (aka: not stereotyped) it should not matter that much.

It's not a french accent at all. Not a "France" accent, at least.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
To clarify, if the voice acting is good, I don't care who performs the role. The Jamaican accent is absolutely atrocious though.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Disingenuous commentary that characterizes ethnic talent as innately inferior
So you're telling me you do not want the best voice actor to get cast for the role? Instead you want a person of colour not to win that role, but instead be given it.

I'd call that insulting.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I can see why the actress was chosen. She does a very good job with the accent.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Without knowing the casting process it's difficult to say. In theory you'd say that yes the role should have gone to a PoC but without knowing who was put/came forward to audition or even how good they were you can't really say either way.

ND stated that they casted Laura Fraser in the role of Nadine purely because she was the best person for the part. If that's true, and I don't see a reason to doubt them, then in that case I don't have a problem.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think it's only problematic in the job availability sense, personally. There seem to be fewer opportunities and I would hope that they would take that into consideration when casting.
But if the voice is right for the role, then whatever I guess. Kinda like how Shredder will always be voiced by black guys, despite being a Japanese character.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is a good conversation worth having OP but it was a mistake to post it in gaming side considering most people ITT are handwaving it entirely or making a joke of it. I already posted my thoughts on the previous page. It's kinda sad that black people can't even get the opportunity to voice black characters.

Here's a great article from Motherboard on the subject:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...oiced-by-white-actors-uncharted-4-nadine-ross

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because Greek is not a race.

Responses in gaming side thread about representation are almost too predictable to be disappointing at this point. Some of this shit borders on "why can't we have a white history month!?!" logic.

Yeah. I'm legit shocked at the handwaving and the whataboutism. It's the kind that leads to, like you said, people screeching 'Why can't we have white history month!?'. Thinking a black actor voicing kratos is comparable to a white actor voicing a minority...smh.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Don't think it is a problem. Wasn't Ashley from Mass Effect voiced by a black lady?
I don't think it matters as long as the voice fits the character.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, a lot of you sound like current GAF posters. I figured the thread would go this way but it's still disappointing.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
It's fine, but just a little disappointing. I don't mind if people lend their voice to a character of another ethnicity, but that would mean a lot more if women of colour were also able to regularly reap the benefits of it. The only other example that comes to mind was Nadine Ross from Uncharted, and that too was a white person playing a black lady. I fully understand if people look at this and see it as another missed opportunity for another PoC.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Why people think that Lifeline is french or african?

Her name is Ajay, and afaik that's an indian name.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know why I expect threads like this to go any differently. Representation matter not just for the characters but the actors behind them.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, a lot of you sound like current GAF posters. I figured the thread would go this way but it's still disappointing.
I really don't know why I expect threads like this to go any differently. Representation matter not just for the characters but the actors behind them.

It's absolutely not problematic. But we've been through this discussion before. The voice actors never know much about their character beyond what they're told anyways and it's always going to be their blame when everyone include them find out. I'm not gonna call someone doing their job problematic, I will only call the selection process problematic for not divulging into that detail to their voice actors.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely not problematic. But we've been through this discussion before. The voice actors never know much about their character beyond what they're told anyways and it's always going to be their blame when everyone include them find out. I'm not gonna call someone doing their job problematic, I will only call the selection process problematic for not divulging into that detail to their voice actors.

I don't think the intention of this thread was to be critical of the voice actress who took a paying job.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It can be. And I certainly wouldn't just handwave it away like so many are doing in this thread, but it's up to you to decide if it is and why and explain it, not just identifying it.
Responses in gaming side thread about representation are almost too predictable to be disappointing at this point. Some of this shit borders on "why can't we have a white history month!?!" logic.

I agree with everything you've said.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
You seem to be suggesting that Bloodhound is actually a guy, but they're actually deliberately ambiguous in their design. They're supposed to be nonbinary.
the German description is describing Bloodhound as male, no way to know about that unless you read online about it.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seriously there must be something wrong with my eyes because that women certainly doesn't look white to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.