• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
MV5BYTkzYmQ1ZTMtNjAwYi00ZmRiLThjNGYtNTQ2NjgxN2JiN2MyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE4MzAxOTc@._V1_SX1499_CR0,0,1499,999_AL_.jpg

This is the woman in question by the way...

I don't know if I'm just being stupid and/or blind but to me she looks like she's of dual ethnic heritage rather than white?

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
It was asked before and it is okay

a88172d6389b492d7c4efc81db562dde6f151570.jpg
I'm not saying that talent should not be the most important requirement, but couldn't they selected a talented black women voice actor to voice her? Especially in a single player game with a rich story.

Overwatch does this for the very few lines that each character has in an MP game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that talent should not be the most important requirement, but couldn't they selected a talented black women voice actor to voice her? Especially in a single player game with rich story.

Overwatch does this for the very few lines that each character has in an MP game.
FWIW the casting was done before the character's visual design was, I believe.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be honest, a lot of you sound like current GAF posters. I figured the thread would go this way but it's still disappointing.

The OP is singling out a specific example of something that happens across the VA industry all the time.

But sure, everyone in this thread who doesn't agree that it is problematic is alt-right.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd thought Che was an Asian surname. She looks like a darker Asian to me. I just looked it up, and Che is a Chinese surname.

There can be an argument for her being of mixed race, but at that point, it really wouldn't matter who voiced her I guess other than "not white." Which I think is a little shallow. I don't think it's that big of a deal in this specific case, but racial representation is an important issue. For instance, you have Aveline and Nadine.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trivia : the son of Kratos, Atreus, is played by a woman in the french version, something common when voicing children.

Oct 29, 2017
No? Why would it be?

Voice actors are cast for their voice, not their appearance; or even their sex (most young boys in animation are voice acted by women for instance).

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Nope. It's pretty common for voice actors to be of a different ethnicity than their characters. Kratos, for example, is voiced by Christopher Judge. Phil LaMarr has played numerous white characters including Samurai Jack, Aquaman, Gambit and Vamp. Rosario Dawson routinely voices Wonder Woman in the animated movies and she voiced Batgirl/Barbara Gordon in the LEGO Batman movie.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Probably pathfinder is not voiced by a robot..
Voice artists dont have to look like the characters, they need to sound like them ..

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd thought Che was an Asian surname. She looks like a darker Asian to me. I just looked it up, and it's a Chinese surname.

There can be an argument for her being of mixed race, but at that point, it really wouldn't matter who voiced her I guess other than "not white." Which I think is a little shallow.
Her dialect, accent, and features really point to Jamaican background, "wagwan" and "seen," for instance.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd thought Che was an Asian surname. She looks like a darker Asian to me. I just looked it up, and it's a Chinese surname.

There can be an argument for her being of mixed race, but at that point, it really wouldn't matter who voiced her I guess other than "not white." Which I think is a little shallow.
Yeah the thread can't even really decide on who should be voicing her.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Only in the sense that the accent is fucking awful. Lifeline is Apex Legends' equivalent to Tracer from Overwatch, except the latter doesn't have an excuse for sounding so bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the intention of this thread was to be critical of the voice actress who took a paying job.
With EA as hands off as they were with Apex, I don't think that Respawn had the time or the budget to go past more obvious or prolific picks that work (Mela Lee has a lot of dubbing credits including dozens of videogames including Fire Emblem).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I really don't know why I expect threads like this to go any differently. Representation matter not just for the characters but the actors behind them.
Yeah, there's definitely that need to recognise black talent but we won't get anywhere with the constant handwaving. Really, this is just symptomatic of the industry at large. It's nice that we're getting more black characters in games but to see white voices behind them is just eh. There aren't many black characters in games with speaking roles (especially so with black women) so to have white voice actors is kind of a shame. Like I have absolutely nothing against them, they're just doing their jobs at the end of the day, but more representation in voice acting is always welcomed.

Off the top of my head, the following fictional black women are all voiced by white voice actresses

1. Aveline from AC3: Liberation
  2. Nilin from Remember Me
  3. Clementine from The Walking Dead
  4. Nadine from UC4
I mean, when Kojima does a better job at getting black women to voice black women and black men to voice black men, then you know you've fucked up. Maybe that's just due to the GOAT voice casting director Kris Zimmerman working on most of his games.

latest

MV5BMjI1MDYzMzA5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTIzMzMxMjE@._V1_.jpg

WXsE6GG.png

upbysT4.png

Death-Stranding-TGS18-Init_003.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I´d like to add because I work in the field.

When casting VO artists you usually write a small briefing and send it out to agencies.

They will get back to you with audio files of VO talent that they think fits your brief - pictures are not involved.

So unless your briefing contains a paragraph about how the VO artist is supposed to look (you don´t do that) you will get VO snippets that don´t regard skin color or ethnicity.

You usually see the talent that you booked for the first time in the studio.

EDIT: So again, I´d call it a missed opportunity.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Why should it be a problem?
We are walking it to a time that everything seems to be problematic, even things like voice acting :s

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
With EA as hands off as they were with Apex, I don't think that Respawn had the time or the budget to go past more obvious or prolific picks that work (Mela Lee has a lot of dubbing credits including dozens of videogames including Fire Emblem).

Maybe so. And that's probably my part of the conversation. I was merely pointing out that the issue of representation is an issue with the process, not with the people doing the voice acting. Nobody is blaming this woman for taking a job.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Why is this a problem? Lots of characters from different mediums are voiced by people who have no resemblance whatsoever to the character. Lots of japanese anime male characters are voiced by women.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I´d like to add because I work in the field.

When casting VO artists you usually write a small briefing and send it out to agencies.

They will get back to you with audio files of VO talent that they think fits your brief - pictures are not involved.

So unless your briefing contains a paragraph about how the VO artist is supposed to look (you don´t do that) you will get VO snippets that don´t regard skin color or ethnicity.

You usually see the talent that you booked for the first time in the studio.
I'd say this is key information.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
O, sorry. I only played a couple days after it came out. I did play as her but I hadn't picked up on that.
No worries, I actually went and googled it and other people have shared your opinion about her surname, some suggested she might be Indian/Chinese raised in Jamaica? I may have totally misread her.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
In this case yes. Black people voice white characters as exampled in this topic.

There isn't an issue here.

White people/characters are not underrepresented. The playing field is not level. Some day when people realize that, and it's implications, we can maybe have an actual discussion about representation on a video game messsge board like GAF or ResetEra.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they chose the VA before they actually designed the characters. In this case, no it wouldn't be problematic.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this case yes. Black people voice white characters as exampled in this topic.

There isn't an issue here.

There is. When you think of voice actors, who do you think of? Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey...there are definitely more white VAs than minority VAs.

Pretty sure they chose the VA before they actually designed the characters. In this case, no it wouldn't be problematic.

That...isn't how VA works. Usually a concept of the character is created, with a personality, and then they cast someone.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not entirely, but my issue was more of Lifeline not being voiced by someone of African descent.

It is kind of up in air with her pictures.
latest
And I the only person who thinks looking up voice actors and then speculating about their race is fucking weird and creepy?

No? Totally normal and reasonable? I apologize, I'll see myself out.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
No.

Is it problematic that Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman?
Are you really comparing the under-representation of black women with that of a white male character?

Also you wanna bring up the Simpsons, which got a bunch of direct criticism in the last year for their continued minstel act of a white dude playing a bad Indian stereotype as a pop-culture mainstay of 30 years?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe so. And that's probably my part of the conversation. I was merely pointing out that the issue of representation is an issue with the process, not with the people doing the voice acting. Nobody is blaming this woman for taking a job.

The process is problematic? Yes. Do I think a lot of larger roles in video games should be done by people who match their ethnicity? Yes. Absolutely, if that can happen.

But is it problematic when it doesn't happen. At the end of the day, not really. As long as the voice is fine and I can realistically see that voice coming from that character.

Hell, this could even be me being used to how that stuff literally doesn't matter with media in Asia. It's hard for me to equate it to something like live action whitewashing of ethnic roles in TVs or Movies.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Well it turns out she's from LA according to a quick Google search, in which case her Caribbean accent becomes a bit problematic in my opinion. Get someone who actually has that accent if that's the culture you want to represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.