• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
My girlfriend's father took her family and myself out to dinner following her brother's graduation. In total, it was a group of six. We ate at a sushi/hibachi place that certainly was not cheap. Our group ordered a total of four appetizers, four sushi rolls, two hibachi plates, and multiple alcoholic drinks.

I thought the service from our waiter was pretty great. He was a charismatic guy, and graduated from the same school as my girlfriend's brother so they shared some funny anecdotes about attending the school.

All was going fairly well until my girlfriend requested additional napkins from the waiter. He came back with a stack of six large napkins. The dad's fiancee said "Oh no, we're going to need twice as many napkins" (no clue why?), and the waiter responded with "Are you sure? I brought one for each member of the party." The dad and his fiancee said in summary "Yes of course, we asked for a reason" so the waiter comes back shortly with 12 extra napkins for a grand total of 18 napkins, not including the ones that came wrapped in everyone's silverware. So that's 24 total napkins for six people.

Even though these extra napkins sat unused on the table through the entire meal, the dad and his fiancee spent the rest of the dinner complaining about how rude the waiter was for not immediately bringing the extra napkins as soon as they asked for them.

Once we wrapped up dinner, the waiter handed the check to the dad and let him know that since we ordered four custom sushi rolls, the waiter split the gratuity with the sushi line chefs but any additional tip on top of the gratuity would stay in the waiter's pocket. After the waiter left the table, the dad went on a rant about how the waiter did not deserve a tip because he did not bring the additional napkins (that went unused) immediately. He zeroed out the extra tip line so the waiter and sushi chefs would split a $30 gratuity on a very large order for a difficult table.

I thought the dad was being ridiculous, so I pulled out the $9 I had in my wallet and put it down on the table for an additional tip. My girlfriend's dad noticed this and said that it wasn't necessary and that he was paying for our dinner. I thanked him and said I was aware but wanted to leave something extra for the waiter.

After my girlfriend and I left the restaurant, she told me that it was rude of me to put down an extra tip. She agreed that her dad and his fiancee were being ridiculous, but putting an extra tip on the table made her dad look rude and cheap as he was the one paying for dinner. While I can see her side, I think I did the right thing. In hindsight, the only change I would have made would have been to give the waiter the tip discretely and apologize for the trouble our table gave him.

What say you, ERA? Was I in the wrong here?

TLDR: GF says it's rude to leave an additional tip on the table if someone else is paying, even if they short the wait staff

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Like you said, not in the wrong, but the more tactful way might have been to go back in after everyone stepped out. Say you had to go to the restroom or something.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Not inherently, no.

You were being rude to the dad in so far as you were showing him up. However, if your account of matters is to be believed, then it sounds like he had it coming.

Seriously, tipping culture is so fucking weird. Seems almost tailor-made to induce entitlement and power tripping in arsehole customers. That shit would make me uncomfortable as hell. "Is that waitress just being friendly because she thinks if she doesn't I won't give her the money she needs to feed her kids? Ahhh, oh god, what do I do?" So glad we just pay livable wages here instead.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Been in this situation many times (or some variation, at least).

You are right. But your GF is, too. No reason to put that kind of contention between you and your pseudo FIL. Would have been better to "forget your keys" or "use the restroom" when everyone leaves and discreetly leave something extra with the waiter, then.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
This was a Friends story. You're lucky your GF's dad wasn't like Rachel's.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The father would probably consider it rude, but his opinion doesn't really mean much in this situation.

Wasn't this a Friends episode?

OP
OP
texmechanica

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Seriously, tipping culture is so fucking weird. Seems almost tailor-made to induce entitlement and power tripping in arsehole customers.
Yeah that's my only understanding of why the dad and fiancée freaked out so much about the napkins. Neither of them are great people, but they're both control freaks and whenever their interpretation of any situation is challenged they feel the need to make life hell on the other party, even if it's some poor guy waiting tables.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
You did nothing wrong. And to be honest if I pick up the tab or someone else picks up the tab then usually the non payers sort out the tip anyway.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could have done without slamming the bills on the table like Kramer. That was quite rude.

Unfortunately, it's kind of rude to do. You're basically calling the person cheap. Not a good look, no matter how much you wanted to put down that extra tip.
Also, can't find the clip from Curb, but you're a "tip profiler."

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah that's rude. If you want to leave the tip may as well pay for your part of the meal as well.

I agree with the dad about the napkins; why hassle customers on if they want more napkins or not? Does the waiter pay for the napkins from his own pocket? Also people ask for extra napkins in the event of spills or other messes. If someone knocks over a drink, you don't want to have to flag someone down or go and locate napkins yourself while it's going all over the table, chairs, floor, etc.

Sounds like that got the dad in a sour mood, but at least he still left a $30 tip. Weird that it's split with the sushi chefs like that, but that's not his fault. Overall, it was up to him since he was paying for the meal how much tip to leave. You were wrong on this one in my eyes.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
You did the right thing in the wrong way. Give the tip personally to the server lowkey. No need to show up the father.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think you should be more careful because dad may have been baiting you into a tip war

now see you spent all your money on your initial tip and the gambit payed off, but what if dad's face contorted into a hideous grin and he said oh, is that all you're tipping, and slammed down a 20

then you'd have no money to retaliate. you want to make sure you tip in small enough intervals that you can take on opposing tippers. but of course you don't want to get into a prolonged conflict either, so big tip salvos can guarantee that your opponent thinks you have more than them and head it off early

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been better to have "gone to the restroom" or something and slipped the waiter the money, assuming you weren't trying to make a point to the father. Really the father and his fiance were being asinine, but you did undermine him by openly placing the money on the table. Essentially, by openly doing this you challenged the father

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Now if we all turn our books to "Friends" Season 3, Episode 7, "The One with the Race Car Bed" we can see an example of this in popular culture.

Basically, while you have good intentions, it does look rude. Try to do it very discreetly if you want to actually do this.

Sometimes I preemptively say something like "Thanks for the meal, I can cover the tip" and see if they let me do that.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I don't think it's rude to leave an additional tip when someone else is picking up the tab, but your context changes everything. I can see how it could be seen as an issue. I've got some inlaws.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so like Ross with Rachel's fa...

Now if we all turn our books to "Friends" Season 3, Episode 7, "The One with the Race Car Bed" we can see an example of this in popular culture.

Basically, while you have good intentions, it does look rude. Try to do it very discreetly if you want to actually do this.

Sometimes I preemptively say something like "Thanks for the meal, I can cover the tip" and see if they let me do that.

fuck

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeaaaah, you're not wrong, but it is great to be able to reward great service and punish horrific service.

Except you're not really able to do that anymore. I've heard all kinds of reasons why you shouldn't punish a waiter or waitress for bad service.

Yeah that's rude. If you want to leave the tip may as well pay for your part of the meal as well.

I agree with the dad about the napkins; why hassle customers on if they want more napkins or not? Does the waiter pay for the napkins from his own pocket? Also people ask for extra napkins in the event of spills or other messes. If someone knocks over a drink, you don't want to have to flag someone down or go and locate napkins yourself while it's going all over the table, chairs, floor, etc.

Sounds like that got the dad in a sour mood, but at least he still left a $30 tip. Weird that it's split with the sushi chefs like that, but that's not his fault. Overall, it was up to him since he was paying for the meal how much tip to leave. You were wrong on this one in my eyes.

Man, I don't agree with any of this lol.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Man, I don't agree with any of this lol.
You don't agree having extra napkins on hand in case of spills is at least a good idea? And again, why should a waiter harass customers about such a thing? 'I brought you the CORRECT amount of napkins.' Like, you don't know me and my dinner guests, I asked for more napkins, what else are you here for? If I ask for 100 napkins, bring me 100 napkins.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You don't agree having extra napkins on hand in case of spills is at least a good idea? And again, why should a waiter harass customers about such a thing? 'I brought you the CORRECT amount of napkins.' Like, you don't know me and my dinner guests, I asked for more napkins, what else are you here for? If I ask for 100 napkins, bring me 100 napkins.

If I was watching this second hand, I'd think the person saying/asking for all this was a dick. Most people don't know how to fucking clean up after themselves anyway, so why are they worried about spills?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
My family's rules have always been that the people who are paying, or person who pays, pay(s) and everyone else throws in on the tip, and you always, always, always tip.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Throwing in more money on top of the tip isn't rude if you frame it right.

Just say you really liked your server and thought you'd throw them a little something on top

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, your girlfriend's father paid for the meal and had what he felt was a legitimate reason to reduce the tip. Dude did give $30 as a tip to your $9.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Counter-point:
5cacc5f2240000f7054f667e.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017

The restaurant, who would clean up the spill, does have extras. Wasteful to preemptively bring them out, they cant be reused once they are at a table, I imagine. Were these normal thin paper napkins? Large cloth ones? The dad said well need more than that, and they didnt. He sounds intolerable.

The waiter did bring more napkins. Not sure why an "are you sure?" Was out of line, when the waiter was correct.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
If I was watching this second hand, I'd think the person saying/asking for all this was a dick. Most people don't know how to fucking clean up after themselves anyway, so why are they worried about spills?
I wouldn't say that personally, just exaggerating for effect. I just think it's weird the waiter made any comment at all about extra napkins instead of just 'ok'. And it's not as if they were asking for 100 napkins in my example, just said they would need double that amount, which is 6 more napkins. Then dude brings them 12 as like a fuck you almost. I dunno, I find the whole thing weird to comment over.

Also it's a weird assumption people don't know how to clean up after themselves??? Why ask for napkins if you don't think there could be a use for them. I would agree it would be a dick move to ask for more napkins and then leave a huge ass mess all over the table without using them.

I'm personally used to taking my mom out to eat and her being a messy eater I just ask for more napkins naturally since I clean up after her or offer her some if she spills something. If a waiter asked me if I was sure I needed more napkins as he had brought us 'enough' I would be quite annoyed. That's about it.

I just don't think it's a waiter's place to question a diner about trivial stuff. If I want more napkins, bring them, if I want two glasses of water, bring 'em, if I want my dressing on the side, do it, if I want my meal in 3 separate to-go boxes, please bring them to me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to leave an additional tip that is fine, but you have to do it in way that doesn't shame or humiliate the person paying for the bill. Ideally you should wait until the bill-payer has left the restaurant. If you can't do that then come back the next day and find the server.

If you know you are eating out with a cheapskate, then try to sidestep the issue by saying "Oh, let me get the tip" when the bill arrives.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also: The "He didn't bring enough napkins" thing is just a stupid bullshit excuse to undertip. Many people do this.....receive good service, then try to find some bullshit nitpicky reason to justify stiffing or undertipping the server.

Oct 30, 2017
This is the part where you discover that you are the one person that everyone dislikes when they go out to dinner

Don't be peevish. No one likes peevish people.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
That's a messy restaurant.
The restaurant, who would clean up the spill, does have extras. Wasteful to preemptively bring them out, they cant be reused once they are at a table, I imagine. Were these normal thin paper napkins? Large cloth ones? The dad said well need more than that, and they didnt. He sounds intolerable.

The waiter did bring more napkins. Not sure why an "are you sure?" Was out of line, when the waiter was correct.
Again if someone knocks a drink over, it's better to just have napkins there before the drink goes all over the table and in someone's lap. A bunch of you have obviously never eaten out before where this has happened and it shows. The waiter was only proven 'correct' after the fact, but it's good to be prepared for accidental spills and doesn't cost the waiter anything afaik. If someone wants to chime in that restaurants now charge waiters for each napkin over x-amount they bring to guests I would concede the point.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with what you did but you should have done it discretely. It was quite rude towards the person footing your bill also .

Oct 27, 2017
That's a messy restaurant.
Again if someone knocks a drink over, it's better to just have napkins there before the drink goes all over the table and in someone's lap. A bunch of you have obviously never eaten out before where this has happened and it shows. The waiter was only proven 'correct' after the fact, but it's good to be prepared for accidental spills and doesn't cost the waiter anything afaik. If someone wants to chime in that restaurants now charge waiters for each napkin over x-amount they bring to guests I would concede the point.

Literally no one does this.

Not once have I ever seen someone preemptively ask for a stack of napkins at a sit down restaurant, in anticipation of spilling their drink.

I read a book to my kids tonight called "what if everybody did that." What if everyone, Every time they ate or drank, used a stack of napkins, in case they spilled. What a bizarre sentiment.