Is it time for Nintendo to rename Super Smash "Bros" series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much name recognition at this point, and it's one of the most popular series in the industry. No way it ever gets changed.

Although, OP, you do make a decent point and have me wondering why they even called it that in the first place. Like obviously it's a play on "Super Mario Bros'" but only 2 characters are from Mario in that first game.

Dec 28, 2017
Nope, the brand name is too powerful

I fully expect the next Mario Kart to have all stars from Nintendo's biggest franchises much like the 8 DLC, but it will still be called Mario Kart, as that brand is way too strong to change it to anything else

Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to get a reaction by saying shit like this, it makes people who are concerned about genuine representation issues look bad. If you want to talk about inclusion in Smash, talk about how there's practically no PoC.

HylianSeven

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a dumb idea just like the poster saying we should rename Mario Kart to Nintendo Kart.

You don’t sabotage your branding.

It would be like how updating the Smash symbol would be a bad idea. It's divided into four sections to represent 4 players. Now that there's an ability for 8 ever since Smash For, it's no longer accurate, but the symbol shouldn't be changed either because it's so iconic with the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
London
Funnily enough i wondered why they had bros in the name. I always thought that it was related to the 2d mainline side scrollers since smash is on a 2d plane even though its 3d graphics.

New mario games tend to keep "super mario" and then a tagline like sunshine, galaxy, odyssey etc representing a new type of game world.

I wonder if they would ever create a fully 3d battle game series i would think they would simply call it "Super Smash [Tagline]

Status
Not open for further replies.