Is it time for Nintendo to rename Super Smash "Bros" series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Considering all the Fire Emblem inclusion in the series now, wouldn't it make more sense for Nintendo to rename it to something like Super Slash Bros or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, come on!! Seriously!?

Dude, this is the kind of stuff that reinforces that this generation is completely and utterly lost.
Really? Asking if a game should have a more inclusive is why this generation of human beings is lost?

It's fine if you don't want the name changed. Don't act like it's some great human tragedy for it to be considered.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda ironic that the name probably came from nintendo assuming the game wouldn't sell if it didn't sound like a Super Mario Bros. Spinoff.

KOF literally has a fighter named King who is also a girl... Or maybe KOF literally just refers to King?
Hey, remember when King's Schtick was that she was pretending to be a man? Neither do i.

Oct 27, 2017
I almost said no, and then I wondered how a Smash game simply called "Smash" would come off to me, especially if it was a massive gaming event and reveal like Ultimate, and it occurred to me that I'd actually be totally ok with that.

While it would be nice, but realistically not possible due to it's branding and considering the very base foundation and establishment of the game... I'll let it subside and choose to not let it bother me too much or at all. All that matters is that they put more represent-able female characters in the game to play as and I'll be content.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone getting heated over this is falling right for it. That's the reaction this thread was made to give you. Nobody gives a shit about the name of Smash Bros when there are actual representation issues in games, including Smash itself.

Sep 19, 2018
It’s odd that the title references Super Mario Bros. when the game has more in common with Kirby Super Star. Sakurai should have called it “Hoshi no Dairantou Smash Super Deluxe” /s

entremet

User Requested Ban
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so.

It's extremely low impact. Let's say if Smash Brothers became 60 percent female characters and it still had that name? Would it matter? No.

Nov 4, 2018
Call me when they rename Legend of Zelda to Legend of Link, when they rename every Halo game that doesn’t have a Halo in it, and when they rename Metroid Fusion despite not having any Metroids in it.

Nov 4, 2017
Nah, it's too iconic a brand at this point. Same reason you really can't rename Mario Kart to 'Nintendo Kart' or 'Smash Kart' because they've expanded the roster beyond Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.