• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the female inclusion in the series now, wouldn't it make more sense for Nintendo to rename it to something like Super Smash Fighters or something?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's a reference to Super Mario Bros. With the Mario changed to Smash

The first game also had Samus on the original roster, so it's not really meant to just mean it's only "Bros" fighting.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's too late. The brand is too strong.

But if they had to rename it, it should just be Smash: Subtitle.

Dec 12, 2017
Too much name recognition at this point, and it's one of the most popular series in the industry. No way it ever gets changed.

Although, OP, you do make a decent point and have me wondering why they even called it that in the first place. Like obviously it's a play on "Super Mario Bros'" but only 2 characters are from Mario in that first game.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
no, just like how they're not going to rename super mario bros even though peach is often a playable character

Oct 27, 2017
Are you actually bothered by this or did you just want to ask this just because?

Do you think they should rename Mario Bros games that allow you to play as Peach or Rosalina and Toadette too?

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's just a reference to Super Mario Bros. and is clearly not meant in an exclusionary way.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's time for Mario Mario and Luigi Mario to get some sisters.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Yes

87a.png

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a dumb idea just like the poster saying we should rename Mario Kart to Nintendo Kart.

You don't sabotage your branding.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a brand name and most likely a reference to Super Mario Bros.
Plus the first Smash featured also 3 female chars (4 if you say, that the Pikachu in Smash is female)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Nope, the brand name is too powerful

I fully expect the next Mario Kart to have all stars from Nintendo's biggest franchises much like the 8 DLC, but it will still be called Mario Kart, as that brand is way too strong to change it to anything else

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Oh, come on!! Seriously!?

Dude, this is the kind of stuff that reinforces that this generation is completely and utterly lost.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If anything they could just refer to it as Smash, but Smash Fighters is a terrible title that would confuse everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to get a reaction by saying shit like this, it makes people who are concerned about genuine representation issues look bad. If you want to talk about inclusion in Smash, talk about how there's practically no PoC.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
What? The Bros. is a reference to Super Mario Bros., and it had Samus on the first game, so it was never because of male only.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a dumb idea just like the poster saying we should rename Mario Kart to Nintendo Kart.

You don't sabotage your branding.

It would be like how updating the Smash symbol would be a bad idea. It's divided into four sections to represent 4 players. Now that there's an ability for 8 ever since Smash For, it's no longer accurate, but the symbol shouldn't be changed either because it's so iconic with the franchise.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Funnily enough i wondered why they had bros in the name. I always thought that it was related to the 2d mainline side scrollers since smash is on a 2d plane even though its 3d graphics.

New mario games tend to keep "super mario" and then a tagline like sunshine, galaxy, odyssey etc representing a new type of game world.

I wonder if they would ever create a fully 3d battle game series i would think they would simply call it "Super Smash [Tagline]

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
This is something that really shouldnt be taken literally.
Also its a brand name and its a refrence to the super mario bros soooooooo....
No.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. If anything they'll just drop "Super" and "Bros" since most people just refer it to Smash nowadays anyways.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I totally forgot that the games included the words super and bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.