• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's referential to "Super Mario Bros.", plus the brand is too iconic at this point. It'd be like ditching the Mario Kart brand to name it "Nintendo Kart".

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Girls can be bros too...

always thought the series was a reference to the "Super Mario Bros." name scheme. It's also way too iconic to change now.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While it would be nice, but realistically not possible due to it's branding and considering the very base foundation and establishment of the game... I'll let it subside and choose to not let it bother me too much or at all. All that matters is that they put more represent-able female characters in the game to play as and I'll be content.
That's actually another issue entirely. As of now, Smash Ultimate's percentage of female fighters (who are women by default) is at 20.513%. For reference, that's only better than Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (16.667%) & Dragon Ball FighterZ (8.333%).

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I almost said no, and then I wondered how a Smash game simply called "Smash" would come off to me, especially if it was a massive gaming event and reveal like Ultimate, and it occurred to me that I'd actually be totally ok with that.

Yeah.

I mean the shorthand is always Smash. Always has been. I think it would be fine. Nobody would be confused.

I'm not sure anyone is up in arms (lol, reference abound!) bout it though.

They have history of dropping a huge branding as well, dropping Boy and going DS/3DS.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be a huge mistake from a brand perspective.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Really? Asking if a game should have a more inclusive is why this generation of human beings is lost?

It's fine if you don't want the name changed. Don't act like it's some great human tragedy for it to be considered.

The name is a play at the Super Mario Bros. name, Nintendo's biggest franchise.

It's not "bros" as in "guys". It's literally "brothers". Two brothers: Mario and Luigi.

This has nothing to do about inclusiveness. Don't turn it into another gender thing.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
So this thread's just an attempt to make feminists look dumb, right?

It's obviously a reference to Mario Bros.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who I follow in podcasts/media and all my IRL friends just call it "smash" so clearly "Bros" isn't an important part of the name. It can be done if there's a will, but gAmErS will react strongly to it

Status
Not open for further replies.