• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I'd enjoy seeing PS5 play games across all Sony systems, but that's a pipe dream. They've made a ton of money re-releasing PS2 games for PS4 with Trophy support. No reason for them to offer the games again via BC.

Given the paltry support from third parties other than Rockstar I very much doubt they are making much money out of it.

The proof is in the pudding: compare the PS2 classics on PS3 to the PS4 selection. Third parties don't feel it's worth the additional effort and they're certainly not ones to leave money on the table.

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it might be considerably more difficult for the PlayStation platform. This is because all the PlayStations that precede PS4 had rather unique architectures and game code requirements. Xbox on the other hand has always been a Windows PC in disguise, so the middleware needed for cross-generation compatibility is simpler.
This. It's essentially impossible for Sony to offer similar backwards compatibility without including hardware to perform the emulation, similar to how early PS3s included a chip for PS2 hardware emulation.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It's not hurting Sony right now, but I think in the long term it will come back to bite them if they don't sort this stuff eventually. At least honouring digital purchases, and any disc compatibility would be a bonus.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Its technically not possible for Sony to have BC.

Xbox One have backed in silicon additional hardware - sort of virtual GPU to support emulation as they stated last week.

There are different generations of backward compatibility that we're talking about here.

PS3 compatibility might be difficult to achieve on PS4, due to the complexities of the PS3 hardware. (Although, I have to wonder if they could possibly get something working that could be applied to simple, less demanding games, such as some of the early downloadables.)

PS1 and PS2 compatibility is a different story. They've already developed an excellent PS2 emulator for PS4, as we could see from the downloadable "PS2 classics for PS4" that they offer now. While they haven't released PS1 classics on PS4, they has previously done so on PSP, PS3, and PS Vita. With that in mind, I have a difficult time believing that the much more powerful PS4 would somehow struggle to run PS1 games.

This isn't a matter of insurmountable technological limitations. This is a matter of business strategy.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they'll do it. At least not soon. It must be well down the list of priorities for them. Too bad because the way Ms is doing it seems to work. Previously, I would have considered making patches on a game by game basis unrealistic. Seems to work out fine tho, and even has benefits over wholesale backwards compatibility.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's highly unlikely at this point for Sony to do so. A year ago or so I'd be more hopeful but it doesn't seem to be in their plans and given that consumers keep happily purchasing remasters or updated versions of old games there's not a lot of incentive from their perspective to give this to their users which is a shame for in the previous generation, when Sony was the underdog, it was something they happily provided freely to their users and is one of the main reasons I chose to support them over Microsoft.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I would bet the PS5 will be an extension of the PS4, thus making everything BC. Maybe by then, they'll have an answer for those wanting PS1/2/3 titles.

MS is clearly investing for the future and playing the long game. No way they hit reset with the next gen of Xbox consoles(not counting the X).

Hoping every company going forward starts doing this.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
PS5 needs backward compatibility, at least for PS4 games.

This generation Sony got lucky, that while Xbox is making these huge bc advancements, Sony can claim difficulty in emulating the PS3 architecture. Sorry Sony, but that excuse isn't gonna fly next generation when the PS4 is just as easy to develop for as the Xbox One and uses a pretty common development architecture.

I'm not sure if I expect PS2 emulation next generation, but it'd be nice, especially since Xbox now also has OG Xbox bc. Hell, Sony can't even give us that really this generation because the PS4 doesn't play CDs AFAIK. So while Xbox is now running 480p games in 1080p 60fps, Sony just gets devs like Rockstar to re-sell us the same old games to get those features.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I believe the next console will definitely have ps4 backcompact and I think that by the end of the ps4 generation we will get at least PS1 emulation. For PS2 and PS3 emulation I absolutely think there needs to be a solution to the problem. I don't understand why I always see people say no because the they're the market leader. They didn't become the market leader by not listening to their biggest fans. Any company who doesn't respond to competition because they're the market leader won't be for much longer. Just ask Microsoft about the transition from 360 to Xbox one. Xbox has come so far it's incredible and that's because they listen now. Trust me people take notice of the small things over time it's a lot of good publicity and word of mouth mindshare.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Sony is the king right now and they know it. I am worried they are going to let this get to their head and forget all the things that made the PS4 so great when ti first came out over the xbox. These days xbox is looking like way more of the good guy with cross play and backwards compatibility. While Sony is basically giving anybody else the big ol middle finger.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I am worried they are going to let this get to their head and forget all the things that made the PS4 so great when ti first came out over the xbox.

They already have a little bit IMO. Saying nobody really needs backward compatibility and unwillingness to do cross-platform play is just stubborn Sony thinking of their bottom line more than what is best for the industry in the long term.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing: first, PS3 emulation is completely off the table. It can't be done, although there are dozens of crossplay games out there already offering some form of taking your library forward when upgrading from PS3 to PS4. So the real comparison here is between MS providing Xbox OG emulation and offering PS1 and PS2 emulation.

There's an enormous factor that often goes overlooked here: The PlayStation back library is exponentially more valuable than the original Xbox library. The only Xbox games that could move the needle in the market are the first two Halos which have already been remade and resold for the Xbox One. For both the PS1 and PS2 there are many, many games with huge sales potential as HD remakes. People aren't lining up to pay $50 to play Blood 2 or Black or Fusion Frenzy again. But they are for games like God of War, Metal Gear Solid, and every 3D Final Fantasy.

Do you think Square Enix would be happy about full disc emulation with high resolution rendering of their entire PS1/PS2 catalog on the PS4? They'd be fucking pissed when they can sell a million copies of FFX and FFXII in HD. They're even making bank on $20 ports of FFVII and FFIX, or PS2 on PS4 versions of Star Ocean games. Letting Sony give that shit away blows a hole in their nostalgia market.

So while I'd love it if all the PSOne and PS2 classics I've bought digitally and any PS1/PS2 disc I might have could work on a PS4, I think it's an open question as to whether Sony could get that past their publishing partners these days. It's a lot of time and money just trying to negotiate all the required licensing deals, let alone trying to test and support emulation for ~10,000 games. All for a checkbox feature that would have an imperceptible impact on their market share.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: first, PS3 emulation is completely off the table. It can't be done, although there are dozens of crossplay games out there already offering some form of taking your library forward when upgrading from PS3 to PS4. So the real comparison here is between MS providing Xbox OG emulation and offering PS1 and PS2 emulation.

There's an enormous factor that often goes overlooked here: The PlayStation back library is exponentially more valuable than the original Xbox library. The only Xbox games that could move the needle in the market are the first two Halos which have already been remade and resold for the Xbox One. For both the PS1 and PS2 there are many, many games with huge sales potential as HD remakes. People aren't lining up to pay $50 to play Blood 2 or Black or Fusion Frenzy again. But they are for games like God of War, Metal Gear Solid, and every 3D Final Fantasy.

Do you think Square Enix would be happy about full disc emulation with high resolution rendering of their entire PS1/PS2 catalog on the PS4? They'd be fucking pissed when they can sell a million copies of FFX and FFXII in HD. They're even making bank on $20 ports of FFVII and FFIX, or PS2 on PS4 versions of Star Ocean games. Letting Sony give that shit away blows a hole in their nostalgia market.

So while I'd love it if all the PSOne and PS2 classics I've bought digitally and any PS1/PS2 disc I might have could work on a PS4, I think it's an open question as to whether Sony could get that past their publishing partners these days. It's a lot of time and money just trying to negotiate all the required licensing deals, let alone trying to test and support emulation for ~10,000 games. All for a checkbox feature that would have an imperceptible impact on their market share.

Nobody is expecting HD emulation. We had PS1 emulation on every playstation platform before PS4 came around.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it would still require licensing and a lot of back and forth between companies that dont exist now, companies that do exist but dont want their old product used ect