• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I know that it's only been out for about six days, but I'm five hundred moons deep and feel pretty good about talking about this. I don't think we need to necessarily rank them all (though you can if you want to), but I think that it's worth talking about this and explaining how and what we value in these games.

I'll just do my top five, which I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about when I've thought about video games this week.

1. Super Mario Bros. 3: It was hard to pick the best Mario mainline platformer, and I do feel that this and my #2 Mario game are the legitimate "Best Game Ever Made" contenders on my list. I think what this came down to for me is that SMB3's level creativity is even better than SMO's. By the time you hit World 5 or so, this game throws a crazy amount of level types at you. Levels scroll vertically, levels scroll horizontally, levels wrap around, there are mazes, there are big enemy worlds, there are levels that force you to go from Starman to Starman to run across the completely hazardous ground, and the airships manage to stay fresh even though they're all really "dodge the cannons and Bullet Bills" in the end. The number of powerups is insane, probably only rivaled by Odyssey's variety of enemies that you can capture. I just can't place another Mario game above this one at this point. I honestly could change my mind on this some day, whereas in the past, I was dead sure that this was the best Mario game ever made.

2. Super Mario Odyssey: Everything that SM64 does, this does better (as it should), and the joy of finding moons both hiding in plain sight and that are tricky to get to alike never wavers. The creativity this game utilizes in giving you so many different ways to get moons is astounding, and even repeat ways (like catching the dang rabbits) changes slightly based on which Kingdom that you are in and the specific physics or areas that are common to that Kingdom (without spoiling too much). If someone argued this game as the best Mario game, I'd be cool with that. If someone wanted to argue that this was the best game period, sure, I think that you can make that argument convincingly.

3. Super Mario 64: I like World more personally, but 64 is a better game. It allows for more creativity and actually has difficulty (even outside of the C-stick camera controls) in the last couple of worlds. I also prefer Mario games that intersperse difficult platforming into a more open world full of puzzles at this point than I like all-linear platforming, all-the-time Mario.

4. Super Mario World: The cape and the cape bounce are too powerful and unbalance the game itself, but the platforming itself is varied and the key/lock and secret goal system is a great way to add exploration to a linear platforming game.

5. Super Mario Land 2: I know that this is out of left field, but the leap in art design from the first game to the second one plus the batshit insane level design (hey, let's have levels set inside a clockwork Mario!) really do it for me. It's not particularly hard, but it is full of ideas that are interesting and are fun and surprising to encounter. It also, for my money, is the best purely-handheld Mario platformer ever made (of course, Odyssey is the best handheld Mario overall).

My number five, I'm sure people would quibble with, but I think it deserves representation on this list. What say y'all?

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Too early to properly judge Odyssey for me, as I'm only about 350 moons in.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario 3D World
5. Super Mario Bros. 3

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd have to break 'em down by 2D/3D... one caveat being that I haven't finished SMO yet:

2D: SMW = SMB3 > NSMBU/NSLU > YI > NSMB Wii > SMB > SML2 > the rest...
3D: SMG1&2 = SMO (could change either way, but so far this is how it feels) > SM64 > SM3DW > SM3DL > SMS

That being said, I've enjoyed all of them, although my least favorite (borderline didn't like it) was the first NSMB on DS.

Edit: I'm already seeing things that I would swap around a bit, but oh well. LOL

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I prefer 3D platformers over 2d ones

1. Galaxy 2
2. Odyssey
3. 3D World
4. Galaxy
5. Maker

Galaxy 2 is my all time favourite game, I'm loving odyssey a lot at the moment, but will probably move up or down depending on how I feel about it after replaying it.

Worst list
1. Lost Levels
2. Sunshine
3. NSMB 2
4. 64 Ds on Ds
5. NSMB DS

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
1. Galaxy
2. Odyssey
3. Galaxy 2
4. 3D World
5. Sunshine

2D Mario games don't really do it for me

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to do a list, but I will say I'm glad Super Mario Land 2 is getting some appreciation in this thread. It's too often forgotten.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
3 is best

64 is worst
giphy.gif

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call 64 the worst. Why would you rank it there?

For me, it's:
1: Galaxy 2
2: Odyssey
3: 64
4: SMB3
5: Super Mario World

I prefer the 3D games, though since I skipped the Wii U, I never got around to NSMB U, Luigi U or 3D World.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Only the 3D (I haven't a Switch :<)

2: Galaxy
3: 3D World
4: 64
5: Sunshine

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having 100% all of them but Odyssey, which I'm at
moons and pretty confident won't move from the #1 spot, my list looks like this.

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario World
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Super Mario 3D World
8. New Super Mario Bros U
9. Super Mario 3D Land
10. Super Mario Sunshine
11. Super Mario Bros.
12. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
13. New Super Mario Bros. 2
14. Super Mario Land 2
15. Super Mario Bros. 2
16. Super Mario Land
17. New Super Mario Bros.
18. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels.

Didn't include Yoshi's Island as I feel that's its own series despite technically being Super Mario World 2, if I did it would be between SMB3 and SMW though.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
1. 64
2. 64 DS
3. Sunshine
4. 3D World&Land
5. Galaxy 2&1
6. Odyssey (didn't finish it but this is where I'd put it so far)

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D ones are easier to get a handle on

Galaxy 2
Galaxy

3D World

Odyssey

Sunshine

the gaps are intentional

Oct 25, 2017
1.Galaxy 2
3.SMB3
4.World
5.Sunshine=Odyssey
6.Yoshis Island

Didnt include NSMB games but i did enjoy U and Wii a lot.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the 3D Mario:

Odyssey
3D World
Galaxy 2
Galaxy
Sunshine

In the case of 2D:

New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros 3
New Super Mario Bros Wii
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Lost Levels
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Bros

Never played the 3DS version of NSMB

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Odyssey Yet so I guess I can rank my top 5's without it. Then see if it needs revising after playing it.

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Mario 64
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Super Mario World

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
giphy.gif

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call 64 the worst. Why would you rank it there?

For me, it's:
2: Odyssey
3: 64
4: SMB3
5: Super Mario World

I prefer the 3D games, though since I skipped the Wii U, I never got around to NSMB U, Luigi U or 3D World.
I don't like the level design. It is far too heavily shifted towards exploration for collectibles over interesting platforming obstacle courses

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I'd rank them all - but I know Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best.

The shit that it did was insane - unparalleled level variety, powerups, secrets, branching paths, vastly improved graphics/sound/controls, omnidirectional scrolling because HOLY SHIT FLIGHT - and it did this in 1989/1990.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the level design. It is far too heavily shifted towards exploration for collectibles over interesting platforming obstacle courses
Fair enough! Thanks for replying! I personally love the exploration, but I can see how the focus away from more pure platforming could be a let down. It'd be interesting to see a title that takes what 3D Land and World did with more old-school level design, but expand on that with more exploration options. It'd have to kill the time limit, though.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2=Odyssey
Galaxy
SMB3
3D World=3D Land
SMW

SM64

Sunshine

Sunshine and 64 just have too many stars that aren't fun or interesting... Odyssey is the best at rewarding the player.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That being said, I've enjoyed all of them, although my least favorite (borderline didn't like it) was the first NSMB on DS.

Wow, exactly like myself (I would even remove the "borderline"), and I've been playing Mario since SMB1 (got SMB3 on release day). Which is odd because I then went on to enjoy all other games in the New series (yes, including the 3DS one).

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
1. World
2. 3D World
3. Galaxy
4. SMB1
5. SMB3

and past that I don't have strong enough feelings about anything to keep sorting them out.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best game in the series as a whole and Super Mario Odyssey is the best of the three sandbox entries. I'm not sure where it ranks overall though.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, exactly like myself (I would even remove the "borderline"), and I've been playing Mario since SMB1 (got SMB3 on release day). Which is odd because I then went on to enjoy all other games in the New series (yes, including the 3DS one).

I really disliked NSMB. There wasn't much interesting about the level design or powerup design outside of having to beat midbosses as tiny Mario to access paths to a couple of the worlds. The boss battles themselves were dull, but that was a nice twist on them.

I was shocked at how little I liked NSMB when I played it. Those NSMB games got better, but even NSMBWiiU is a game that I find okay, but not even really on the level of the original SMB, much less 3 or World.

Though I don't own a 3DS and thus didn't play NSMB2, so I don't know how good that game is.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. (Tie) Odyssey / 3D World
3. Galaxy 2
4. Galaxy
5. NSMB Wii (played with friends)
6. NSMB U (played with friends)
7. 3D Land
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
1. World
2. Odyssey
3. Galaxy
4. NSMBU / NSLBU
5. 3D World
6. Galaxy 2
7. Lost Levels
8. Rest

Oct 25, 2017
Tough to say definitively how I feel about Odyssey this early on, but my gut reaction is:

1) Super Mario Galaxy 2
2) Super Mario Odyssey
3) Super Mario 64
4) NSMBU/NSLU
5) Super Mario Bros. 3
6) Super Mario World
7) Super Mario Galaxy
8) Super Mario 3D World
9) Super Mario 3D Land
10) Super Mario Sunshine

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just stick with the 3D outings

Galaxy 2: The special thing about Galaxy 2 is that instead of using its first half to ease you in, it instead approaches things as if Galaxy 1 itself was the easing you in and thus gets the ball rolling in varied level design faster than any other 3D Mario. You're in world 1 and it's introducing the flip panels which would be like endgame Galaxy 1, you've got Yoshi and the new powerups making the original batch from Galaxy 1 seem dismal in retrospect.

Odyssey: It's easy as pie, there's no doubt about that and a few days ago I'd have probably had it on par with 3D World, but only now after 600 plus moons do I feel that maybe I've at last seen all the proper attractions the game has to offer. The game that just keeps going, it almost does itself a disservice by hiding away numerous challenge rooms in the post game. Each time I headed back to a previous world that may have seemed a bit dry at first they've secretly opened up a ton of new areas and small tasks that weren't there prior. Mario's movements is tops, the cappy throw antics allow you to merge the best of 64's flippy antics with Galaxy's wall jump air spin combo malarkey.

Galaxy 1: I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting for the inevitable it prints money HD version of this to play it again. And I'm kinda thinking it's not gonna hold up as much as I remember. But dammit, it was also the comeback Mario needed after the GC era had him reduced to sports and endless parties.

64: Ageing, it happens, it happened in fact. Despite the dodgy camera, the in and out flow of progression and the fact that dire dire docks exists there is something rather timeless about how Mario controls here, the original Mario sandbox where just jumping around the garden was a wow factor in itself. Oh and nostalgia, you can't easily topple that.

3D World: This game could've been third but if say 64 is a game I still rate due to how Mario feels to control then 3D World has this strange vibe I can't quite put my finger on. Sure the limiting of Mario and friends jumping antics would seem like the first place to look but it's not just a lack of triple jumps, the pace seems slowed, you do a wall jump or long jump and it's not nearly as gratifying as it used to be. You play as anyone who isn't Toad or Mario and it feels SLOOOOOOW, maybe it's also a trick of the mind with the wider camera view and level design made to accommodate 4 players, in any case I roll through these top notch yet boxy level designs feeling like I should be having more fun.
Of course it's still great, double cherry is sublime, Toad is the best (his gimped jump barely matters when everyone feels gimped!) the main con really is that in aping the modern 2D titles style so heavily it just makes me think "I'd actually rather be playing NSMBU".
the four player focus was worth it though for the one file I got to do in multiplayer, searchlight sneak was anything but.

3D Land: Pretty much equal with 3D World, it lacks the more creative outings seen in World but can make up for it with some more focused level design, it's like the snack food of 3D Mario, it's not as fulfilling as the rest but it's incredibly moreish. It also has the best final Bowser battle going.

Sunshine: Mario at his most acrobatic with level design at its most inconsistent, there's good in here but there's also enough lows that you tend to remember them more. On one hand I'm like "Pianta Village, the goopy inferno is dope", on the other "Pianta village, I'm a chuckster".

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Super Mario 3D Land

Eh... I dunno, all the rest are brilliant too. I'm only just over 100 moons in Odyssey.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to do a list, but I will say I'm glad Super Mario Land 2 is getting some appreciation in this thread. It's too often forgotten.

Just saw this, and I agree. The critiques against it being a great Mario game that I usually hear are:

1. It's too easy
2. It's not really like a Mario game because of how weird and different it is.

That second critique is odd to me because mainline Mario is weird in general and Nintendo always does something different with it at this point outside of maybe Galaxy 2 being Galaxy plus Yoshi. Plus SML2 has fantastic weirdness.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
My top 5 has remained consistent for the last few years now, although placing them in any order is difficult. The one thing I do know is that Super Mario Bros. 3 is my absolute favourite. My top 5 are Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. After these five I haven't really considered where I'd rank the rest.

For the time being I'm just ignoring Super Mario Odyssey, I don't like jumping to conclusions so I avoid ranking the newest games in any particular franchise. Once I finish Odyssey 100%, that's when I will truly take it in to consideration.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Everyone who puts 64 over Odyssey - how?!
I can see Odyssey topping 64 over time, but my nostalgic attachment to Mario 64 prevents me from doing it so soon. If I have one main complaint for Odyssey it's that I wish some of those sandboxes had some space to breathe. Not every corner has to be stuffed with a moon. A lot of people may think 'it's a boring waste of real estate' but I think it's conducive to exploration. I'd actually like an Odyssey 2 to have even bigger sandboxes than 1. Make a seamless open world Mario pls.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
Just saw this, and I agree. The critiques against it being a great Mario game that I usually hear are:

1. It's too easy
2. It's not really like a Mario game because of how weird and different it is.

That second critique is odd to me because mainline Mario is weird in general and Nintendo always does something different with it at this point outside of maybe Galaxy 2 being Galaxy plus Yoshi. Plus SML2 has fantastic weirdness.

Super Mario Land 2 is an awesome game, still my favourite portable Mario game after all these years.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
Everyone who puts 64 over Odyssey - how?!

Personal preference? Mario 64 may have aged, but there's a charm and sense of wonder with that game that I personally don't think any other 3D Mario games has matched. The controls are a little wonky by modern standards, and the camera is downright broken compared to games today, but the level design remains spectacular, and it has a nice progression of challenge. Odyssey, by comparison, is very easy, and some of the worlds aren't really that great. But that's just my opinion.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, this is hard. They are kind of different experiences, and are all so good, I'm gonna try my best. I will split between 2D and 3D though, it's impossible not to. I haven't played Odyssey yet, so it's not in the list.

2D

1- Yoshi's Island
2- Super Mario World
3- Super Mario Bros 3
4- New Super Mario Bros Wii
5- New Super Mario Bros U
6- Super Mario Bros 2
7- Super Mario Bros
8- New Super Mario Bros

3D

-Super Mario Galaxy
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Super Mario 64
-Super Mario 3D World
-Super Mario 3D Land

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy the 2D ones as much, World's the only one I ever beat. So 3D!

1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Super Mario 3D World
5. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario Sunshine
7. Super Mario 3D Land

Also I know some people stand by New SMB but I hate them all, even U. I feel like most 2D platformers have a problem of burning me out after a few worlds and this problem gets much worse when everything looks and sounds bad.

Last edited:

zigg

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really not a huge fan of the 64-Sunshine-Odyssey lineage. Odyssey's biggest success in my eyes is that it polished up most of the pain points of its predecessors, but I really don't care for the looseness of it all and wandering around looking for things with Mario.

I'd have to say that Galaxy 2, 3D World, and 3 are my top games—in no particular order. I love them all. ❤️

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Haven't played Odyssey yet. Also haven't played the GB ones and NSMBU
1. Mario 64
2. Galaxy 2
3. 3D World
4. Galaxy
5. NSMB DS

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
3D