• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No, it's not too late. You'll get access to an incredible library of games immediately.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, we're at a weird point of the generation right now. I bought a PS3 at the end of 2012, and for pretty much all this gen up to now I've just been playing last gen games. Do I just wait for PS5, which may or may not be backwards compatible with PS4? Or do I just get a PS4 now, but have to see all the best PS4 games get remastered for PS5, making my purchase almost worthless?

If any of those PS4 games get remastered, I'm not buying them. It was different with PS3, but with the PS5 it's more of a diminishing returns effect
Seems there's been a lot of these threads about either Pro or X.

Most people agree the next wave of consoles will come out at the end of 2020. That's a long time for games. That's not "right around the corner."

Pick it up now. There's some great games to be had.

I mean two years ago the Witcher 3 was still at the top of the Steam charts and no one knew what a PUBG was. It's a long time.

Yeah, I tried to find a thread similar to mine before I made it, but nothing came close. And that's true Holiday 2020 is almost 2 years away. A lot can happen
I'd be flabbergasted if PS5 doesn't have full BC with PS4. Microsoft definitely will for X1 games with their next console given their strong BC push and Sony will want to have as much feature parity as possible.

Same here. It would be a braindead decision by Sony.

There is nothing in the world that is called too much Bloodborne.

I know. I miss that game so much. I used to get destroyed by Gehrman because I messed up my save where I have no health potions or cash. 😭

Can't I still go fight him if I go through all the bosses again?

The DLC is probably the best part of the game ^^

I heard. I think I bought it but I need to get a PS4 😭

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If money is a concern then get a base PS4, if not then get a Pro. Have the slim personally and feel no need to upgrade.

Either way, you'll get access to an amazing library of games (rivaled only by the PS2).

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The only exclusives I havent played yet are Last of Us, Uncharted LL, Nioh, Nier, Gravity Rush 2, Detroit Become Human. Heavy Rain, Spiderman, God of War, Horizon and a few stragglers
That's all great games particularly TLOU, God of War, Horizon and Spiderman. You'll get a 60fps mode on a few games on Pro : Like God of War, Shadow of the colossus and you'll get a better framerate (and obviously resolution) in many games.

If you can get the KH3 LE Pro, you'll be able to resell it very easily once PS5 is released. That model is limited and will keep a very good resale value.

And yes you should absolutely play Bloodborne DLC. You'll get less frame-pacing issues and no more framerate drops on Pro. It's definitely smoother on Pro overall.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a Slim again. I owned an OG PS4 and then a Pro later, and the Pro just didn't do enough for me to justify it so close to the next gen. It's such a marginal bump in power and the next consoles are so close to release. I'm also irrationally assuming that Sony won't continue to be arrogant and the PS5 will have proper backwards compatibility.

I just felt like it made more sense to wait, especially as PS4 Slim's can be had for like $180 online.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I'd wait to see if there'll be back compatibility, which I think there'l be, as ps4 is like a PC.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
If any of those PS4 games get remastered, I'm not buying them. It was different with PS3, but with the PS5 it's more of a diminishing returns effect

Yeah, I tried to find a thread similar to mine before I made it, but nothing came close. And that's true Holiday 2020 is almost 2 years away. A lot can happen

Same here. It would be a braindead decision by Sony.

I know. I miss that game so much. I used to get destroyed by Gehrman because I messed up my save where I have no health potions or cash. 😭

Can't I still go fight him if I go through all the bosses again?

I heard. I think I bought it but I need to get a PS4 😭

It sounds like you want to do it. If you've got the money, go for it!

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
That's all great games particularly TLOU, God of War, Horizon and Spiderman. You'll get a 60fps mode on a few games on Pro : Like God of War, Shadow of the colossus and you'll get a better framerate (and obviously resolution) in many games.

If you can get the KH3 LE Pro, you'll be able to resell it very easily once PS5 is released. That model is limited and will keep a very good resale value.

And yes you should absolutely play Bloodborne DLC. You'll get less frame-pacing issues and no more framerate drops on Pro. It's definitely smoother on Pro overall.

Oh it does for Bloodborne? That's great to hear. And I checked with my local GS and they don't have anymore KH3 Bundles 😭
It sounds like you want to do it. If you've got the money, go for it!

Thanks for the advice :)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You probably have a little less than two years before the PS5 is released.

Me, personally, I think that's enough time to make it worth it. It totally depends on your situation, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's a great system and you can always trade it in to help acquire your next-gen system when the time comes.
Also, you don't NEED a 4K TV for it. I think supersampling down to 1080p suites the system better. Most games look a little soft on a 4K set.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
If you have kids or you want to invest a lot of time in Astrobot then... just buy the regular PS4.

But doesn't the PS4 Pro run VR significantly better?

Yes. It's a great system and you can always trade it in to help acquire your next-gen system when the time comes.
Also, you don't NEED a 4K TV for it. I think supersampling down to 1080p suites the system better. Most games look a little soft on a 4K set.

I know I don't. I wanted to get it for 4K Blu-ray and streaming.

People who think PS5 is "just around the corner" are hopped up on goofballs. Wishiful thinking at it's finest.

I agree. I don't think next gen is as fast as others are suggesting.

Feb 10, 2018
Getting a pro has no downside, because it will have higher resale value when PS5 launches.
PS4 slim or OG will have little resell value when PS5 drops.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Xenosaga I couldn't get the KH3 PS4 Pro but I ordered a standard for a good price ($359 new)

Zelas thanks for the notice on that deal. Ordered it and it should come by next Tuesday or Wednesday

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I'd get the Pro in your situation and trade up for the PS5 when it hits in like earliest Q4 2020.

I did the odd mid gen updgrade of selling my old PS4 and getting a X1X, as there arent any big games for PS4 coming out in 2019 that interest me. And i wanted the "best" mid gen upgrade for RDR 2...

I'll only get a PS4 platform again is Death Stranding, Ghost of Thsusimo, TLOU 2 all hits PS4 before PS5 lands.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is arguably the best time to jump in because you now have so many great games to play at some really bargain prices.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yes! You will get to play the game of the generation!!

God Of War!

I'm so excited to play that :P

I'd wait for the PS5 at this point TBH unless you NEED to play TLOU2, Days Gone, Tsushima, and Death Stranding at 4K

I was going to buy a 4KTV since they're cheaper at 55" anyway.

Might as well enjoy the benifits of the pro when there are no real extra costs to do so.
It's a great piece of hardware.

Thanks for the advice and I'm a big Anthony Hopkins fan too. Was Westworld S2 good?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It depends. If Sony actually does backwards compatibility next-gen, I would say it is too late. As the PS5 likely isn't far off.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
No, it's not too late. Next-gen is still nearly two years out. And you'll have tons of great games to catch up on.

I feel like people don't realize how far Fall 2020 actually is. We have ALL of 2019, and almost ALL of 2020.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I pre-ordered that Kingdom Hearts 3 PS4 Pro as well.
I don't think I will be buying the next-gen console day-1 anyway so I will use my Pro for a while.

same here, this gen has had so many hits and so many games left to play, i dont see myself rushing to get the system right away (plus launch titles are always so-so and are really just tech demos until the good games come out).

also, really cool you are getting the kh3 ps4 pro! i have a pro, so i wish i had waited for that edition.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Westworld season 2 was dreadful outside of about 2 episodes.

Well sucks. I don't remember hearing much about the 2nd season

same here, this gen has had so many hits and so many games left to play, i dont see myself rushing to get the system right away (plus launch titles are always so-so and are really just tech demos until the good games come out).

also, really cool you are getting the kh3 ps4 pro! i have a pro, so i wish i had waited for that edition.

I wanted to get that one too
Hopefully you'll get one of the newer 7200 models.

I'll check to make sure.

Buy a pro, trade it towards a PS5 when GameStop or whoever is offering a special deal.

Pretty much