• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Cause I do that shit, and the other day my coworkers gave me crap for it. I like dogs y'all. There are no bad dogs. If I'm walking down the street and I pass someone walking their dog you better believe I say "you have a cute dog" or "hey I like your dog". It's not like I stop on a dime and blurt it out or something. I don't even break my stride fam.

My mates have suggested it might be my delivery. I can't imagine how. It's not like I make it weird or suggestive by going all "yo bro I reaaaaally like your dog šŸ˜". At any rate, I'm told it's not the way I say it, it's the fact that I say it at all.

Anyway, as I said, this character assassination happened a few days ago. I still lay sleepless in bed these nights thinking about that burning question:

Am I weird?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it might be your delivery because no it's not weird. Super common as a dog owner for people to say they like our dogs or want to pet them.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I have two dogs, and almost daily when I take them for a walk, people will compliment them and even pet them.

I see no wrong with that.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I once jokingly told a woman in Vancouver I wanted to kidnap her dog - in a cute voice, mind you.

She told me to go fuck myself.

Brunire

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Just yesterday a dude stopped his car to yell out I have a beautiful dog. That might have been pushing the boundaries a bit, but otherwise it seems pretty normal.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
How OP looks when he walks down the street complementing dogs.
MellowSneakyAfghanhound-small.gif

jk

Nov 17, 2017
Nothing wrong with complimenting a dog. Just ask to pet them if that's what you want to do. It's weird when people just reach for a stranger's dog to pet it.

Edit: I should clarify, ask the owner not the dog if that wasn't obvious haha

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I have a shih tzu and I get comments all the time on how cute he is when I walk him.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I thought everyone did that? Didn't even know people had an issue with it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, specially when the dog is social enough to try to get your attention.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
That's Perfectly normal, all I ask is if you see a great dane don't say "Is that a dog or a horse? hahaha" I hear that at least once every walk and it's never funny.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The issue would be if you were going to pet them without their permission as they could be training their dog to behave accordingly in public while on walks, or it's an aggressive/shy dog who doesn't respond well to strangers. Complimenting the dog directly to the person is completely fine.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have random people compliment me on my Alaskan Malamute all the time when I have her out for a walk. That or they yell about a wolf.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally normal. Happens to me and my pup all the time, and I say it to others.

People like dogs! Its not at all weird!

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I do the same thing, so you won't be getting any grief from me.

Unless you're on some Arthur Morgan wave with the headpats and commentary, then there's nothing odd about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I inform them how much money they are wasting on their pet, and tell them they should be buying fast food or amiibos instead

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I compliment strangers' everything. Shirts, shoes, pants, hats, etc. (except for cars).

I usually don't ask to pet them. But if they ask if I want to, I always do.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Random story,

One time I was talking down the street with my 2 year old son and a lady was walking by with a pretty cute dog. Not sure what breed. My son said "Puppy!" and the dog playful came up to him and he pet it. I said "Aww what a cute pup" and the lady gave me an evil look and said "she's too old to be a puppy" and pulled her dog away. I tend to use "pup" or "puppy" to refer to dogs with my son or sometime in general. I never knew people take that so offensively.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This is super common where I live. Even the "people yelling it out of their moving vehicles" like another poster mentioned upthread. I see nothing wrong with it. Would even like to see strangers compliment each other tbh.

Just ask to pet them if that's what you want to do. It's weird when people just reach for a stranger's dog to pet it.
Was gonna mention this as well. On top of it just being sketchy cause some random person is reaching for your dog, a lot of people in my town (dog-friendly place) take their dogs out everywhere as part of socializing them.

The issue would be if you were going to pet them without their permission as they could be training their dog to behave accordingly in public while on walks, or it's an aggressive/shy dog who doesn't respond well to strangers. Complimenting the dog directly to the person is completely fine.
You said it way better than I was about to

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If your immediate thought upon seeing a dog is not "I must praise that magnificent beast and possibly pet him" then you aren't a functional human. That's just common goddamn decency.

Oct 27, 2017
It can get annoying when you have a dog to be stopped every day by random people asking to pet your dog. Ppl just saying cute dog is fine though.

Used to have a dog and live in a busy city.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I do it all the time, I always tell someone I like their dog, or it's cute, or so well behaved or something. I like dogs, what can I say? If I think they will stop and let me pet it I will pet it.

When I had a dog people stopped me all the time and commented, I always liked it.

Your coworkers are wrong!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Random story,

One time I was talking down the street with my 2 year old son and a lady was walking by with a pretty cute dog. Not sure what breed. My son said "Puppy!" and the dog playful came up to him and he pet it. I said "Aww what a cute pup" and the lady gave me an evil look and said "she's too old to be a puppy" and pulled her dog away. I tend to use "pup" or "puppy" to refer to dogs with my son or sometime in general. I never knew people take that so offensively.

i had a friend of mine call a dog a "cute girl" because the dog had a pink bow and leash/collar and the owner proceeded to rip into her about ascribing to binary gender norms-- OVER A DOG.