• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Basically what the title says! My fiancee and I watched the entirety of Seinfeld from beginning to end and are kind of missing that sitcom to turn on here and there in our daily life when we don't want to watch an hour long drama.

I just spotted Cheers on Hulu, and have maybe watched an episode here or there. Knowing it's 11 seasons (big commitment), is it worth going back to and watching? If not, any other recommendations available on streaming? :)

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why Cheers wouldn't be good still. But on Hulu Brooklin Nine Nine is wonderful.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My wife and I watched it in its entirety a couple years ago after finishing a Seinfeld run and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not as good as Seinfeld, but it's worth a watch.

However, if you haven't already seen it, I would recommend watching all of 30 Rock more than Cheers. Quite possibly my favorite comedy ever.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers is good stuff, and like Seinfeld, it's relatively consistent in quality throughout the seasons. Great cast that carries the show.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put Fraiser above cheers as shows you should go back and watch. I love cheers and still watch it today, but I also have nostalgia for it. Cheers just feels like it's from a different Era than Seinfeld (because it was) and I just don't think that era's style of comedy holds up anywhere close to as well as Seinfeld's. Which isn't to say, don't watch Cheers, just don't expect it to hold up as well as Seinfeld.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I've been chipping away the last few weeks, watched about 10 or 11 episodes so far. Genuine laughs right from the start in every episode. Started watching because I loved Ted Danson in the Good Place.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
My wife and I have been watching cheers on and off for the last 2 years. We're currently towards the end of season 5. The first two-three seasons are excellent, but it's started to drag a bit lately. Treat it like a show that you can watch a bit here and there instead of binging. It has very repetitive character beats, but that's what makes it comforting.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
For a show that first aired almost 4 decades ago it still holds up pretty well I think. I watched through the first couple seasons maybe 5 years back and was surprised at how funny I still thought it was.

OP
OP
SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
My wife and I have been watching cheers on and off for the last 2 years. We're currently towards the end of season 5. The first two-three seasons are excellent, but it's started to drag a bit lately. Treat it like a show that you can watch a bit here and there instead of binging. It has very repetitive character beats, but that's what makes it comforting.

Yeah we did the same thing with Seinfeld and took our time on and off. Two about 2 years. Loved it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Wow. Cheers was 11 seasons? There would lots I haven't seen.
Some sitcoms don't age well. I think Cheers would be alright. I currently have a channel that shows Frasier reruns. Since I haven't seen most of those episodes, I'm finding it funny and enjoyable.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would watch a list of most popular episodes, the show has about 300 episodes and the jokes can get repetitive once you know the characters.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's still great. Genuinely funny comedy occasionally punctuated by a (to me) surprisingly progressive tone (usually from Diane). It's also a lovely time capsule.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Absolutely still holds up and is worth the watch.

That and The Golden Girls are on high repeat in my house - both shows hold up incredibly well, themes connect to modern times, sharp writing and good characters.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
If you have Hulu why aren't you watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
Best running sitcom to date.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Cheers for the first time 5/6 years ago and it's one of my absolute favorite sitcoms. Definitely holds up well

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
My wife and I watched it all the way through the first time about 2 or 3 years ago. It was funny, but we haven't had any desire to go back and rewatch it. Frasier and Seinfeld, on the other hand, we rewatch regularly. I would say it's a step below those shows, but it's still worth a watch.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I've been doing a watch-through of it and I plan to watch Frasier after. I'm on S5 of Cheers now I think? It's definitely a product of it's time but it's fine. The cast is great.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The variety of characters make it great. The setting allowed for very different personalities to interact.

Oct 28, 2017
It's still great.

Channel 4 (UK) air it early mornings these days and I manage to catch bits here and there. I think it holds up well.

Coach is the sweetest character ever.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
It's alright. If you don't like it, give Frasier a try. If you do like it, proceed to watch Frasier afterward.

Basically watch Frasier.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I just did a full rewatch of both Cheers and Frasier, and while Cheers feels more dated in its "slow pitch down the middle" approach to punchlines, it's still a great show. The quality never really dips across 11 seasons, and I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer the Diane or Rebecca years. The series finale is one of the absolute greats.

But fuck me, Frasier Crane is an insufferable prat in Cheers, especially when Lillith becomes a regular character and he starts whining about everything. Frasier -- the show -- is the ultimate execution of Oscar Wilde farce, and Frasier the character is so much better as both the lead and butt of most of the jokes.

Also: the Sam Malone episode of Frasier made me hate him for how little he grows as a person post-Cheers, while the Diane Chambers episode was a beautiful swan song.

Also also: Taxi is brilliant and deeply humanist for a 70s show. Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd both have moments on that show that are truly heartfelt, even though they're mostly written as broad comic relief characters.

Coach is the sweetest character ever.

He sure is, but Woody was an amazing replacement character. Right from the start, 24-year-old Woody Harrelson nailed all of his punchlines.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just did a full rewatch of both Cheers and Frasier, and while Cheers feels more dated in its "slow pitch down the middle" approach to punchlines, it's still a great show. The quality never really dips across 11 seasons, and I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer the Diane or Rebecca years. The series finale is one of the absolute greats.

But fuck me, Frasier Crane is an insufferable prat in Cheers, especially when Lillith becomes a regular character and he starts whining about everything. Frasier -- the show -- is the ultimate execution of Oscar Wilde farce, and Frasier the character is so much better as both the lead and butt of most of the jokes.

Also: the Sam Malone episode of Frasier made me hate him for how little he grows as a person post-Cheers, while the Diane Chambers episode was a beautiful swan song.

Also also: Taxi is brilliant and deeply humanist for a 70s show. Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd both have moments on that show that are truly heartfelt, even though they're mostly written as broad comic relief characters.

He sure is, but Woody was an amazing replacement character. Right from the start, 24-year-old Woody Harrelson nailed all of his punchlines.
Did you like the Woody episode of Frasier?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it a few years ago after Frasier. It's still good. Frasier might be better, but if you watch a lot of TV I'd recommend watching Cheers first: there aren't a lot of callbacks, but I wish I'd understood them when they showed up.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
If you are on Hulu watch Letterkenny instead.

Cheers is fine but probably won't make you laugh all that much.