• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. The energy is totally different when you're the only person of color in a group. I was the only black dude in my high school and I went on a camping trip with a friend and once we got to the mountains his dad goes "Alright get the rope boys." He thought that shit was hilarious.

God damn. Would rather risk a fight with a mountain lion and leave the mountain than stay in that situation.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
You're overthinking it immensely OP. I work in an industry that is heavily white and have been on camping trips where I was the only black person.

Camping is about chilling and having fun and a good way to know your workmates better as most people drop their guard.

I mean if you can't do a simple fun camping trip with some white folks. I worry how you'll deal with being black in more high pressure situations.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like being the only PoC in an elevator ride.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
One issue at a time man. You need to dump your girlfriend.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope I definitely feel uncomfortable when I'm the only brown person.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Are the other people bringing their significant others? If so why not bring your girlfriend. You'll get the benefit of at least having someone your comfortable with while also appearing sociable and enjoying time with your coworkers.

I don't know the dynamic of your job, but I don't think you want to get labeled as anti-social. My mother always tells me to never give people the ability to ascribe anything that can be used as a knock since we're already starting off at a disadvantage because of race.

Maybe it's because I've always been the only black guy, I never really let that stop me from enjoying social scenarios.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Theres 2 dynamics at play.

White people can virtually go anywhere they please and not feel out of place as a minority, thats why they get ragged on when they complain about scenarios like this.

Im sure you've navigated different events where this happened to you before, and it is uncomfortable. If you think you can tolerate it, sure I say bring your girlfriend, go have fun and don't think about it too much.

Esp if you have a coworker you get along with thats going, try to tag with them

but yeah camping? couldn't be me lol, I pay rent for a reason
That's maybe what you believe, but that's not true.I can't speak for all the white people, but I'd feel out of place if I were the only white person in a group and the rest were either black or asian.This applies to everyone of any race I assume, not just to black people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ever been the only PoC at something, then you find another one?

You hit them with the "nod"

They hit you with the "you see this bullshit?" look around

And you reply with the "I know right?" shrug.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's maybe what you believe, but that's not true.I can't speak for all the white people, but I'd feel out of place if I were the only white person in a group and the rest were either black or asian.This applies to everyone of any race I assume, not just to black people.
Unless there were some awkward entrance where everyone stops talking and stares at you then I wouldn't mind.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a minority and these things happened to me a lot growing up. It's 100% ok to be uncomfortable, but I wouldn't want to cheat myself out of a potentially very fun experience just because white people are afoot. That leans a bit too uncomfortably close to self-victimization for me.

Spinluck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Wait are you referring to Nav the rapper, because that's a pretty funny roast of your GF in the OP lol.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
There is nothing wrong with you, normal anxiety given the situation you are in. Not going could be a lost opportunity for work connections and missing out on things. I don't know how your office works but everywhere i have worked is very clique like and people who don't participate / join in don't get the advancements / connections / opportunities that people who do get. Just need to weigh the pros and cons but completely understandable to be uncomfortable / not wanna do it.

Oct 27, 2017
As a black man myself I'd feel a bit weird too and have in many other situations but I'd still go,fuck it. You may end up saving everyone from a bear attack and be crowned supernegro for the rest of your days there.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is everyone going? If they are, I think you should go if you can handle it. People will
Make a note of it. And as others have mentioned, it might play role in being passed by for projects or advancement

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Where did I say you wouldn't be uncomfortable, I said you can virtually go anywhere and not even have to experience this feeling for the most part.

Hence why white people get joked on for feeling uncomfortable for 2 seconds of their lives in minority rooms while POC navigate predominantly white countries and societies.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will not going hurt your career? Either way don't go. Fuck it. I wouldn't and I'm white

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Where did I say you wouldn't be uncomfortable, I said you can virtually go anywhere and not even have to experience this feeling for the most part.

Hence why white people get joked on for feeling uncomfortable for 2 seconds of their lives in minority rooms while POC navigate predominantly white countries and societies.
But white people experience the same thing in countries where they're minorities, it's not something exclusive to black people, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
This is me at every Christmas party. I'm not the only Latino in attendance but I'm damn close. I'm not sure many white people can relate to that awful mix of being a minority in an extremely social environment with people who have a very real influence on your future prospects, many of whom have almost zero life experience in common with you. If you're an introverted person, add an anxiety multiplier to the mix, lol.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
But white people experience the same thing in countries where they're minorities, it's not something exclusive to black people, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

How often are white people forced to integrate and socialize within those countries? When they visit on vacation, would you say the vast majority of white people go deep within the country and communicate with locals or do they stick to the tourist/westernized districts and landmarks?

Do white people often find themselves in workplaces being the only white face surrounded by color?

You know exactly what Im getting at here.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Racially monolithic (or nearly so) groups don't happen by accident. You're not the racist one for being uncomfortable as the only black dude in a group.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
If you go don't be surprised if they play a practical joke on you. Or make some kind of reference to black people dying first in slashers.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
How often are white people forced to integrate and socialize within those countries? When they visit on vacation, would you say the vast majority of white people go deep within the country and communicate with locals or do they stick to the tourist/westernized districts and landmarks?

Do white people often find themselves in workplaces being the only white face surrounded by color?

You know exactly what Im getting at here.
I still don't get what you're saying.Black people are forced to integrate in countries where white people are also minorities, while white people aren't?To answer your second question, I guess it differs from person to person.Do ALL black people do the same things?I don't think so.
If white people are a minority in that country, then yes?I really don't get your questions.The same thing applies to every minority, not just black people.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I still don't get what you're saying.Black people are forced to integrate in countries where white people are also minorities, while white people aren't?To answer your second question, I guess it differs from person to person.Do ALL black people do the same things?I don't think so.
If white people are a minority in that country, then yes?I really don't get your questions.The same thing applies to every minority, not just black people.

Its a statement on global demographics. I never said anything about people unable to feel uncomfortable, you brought that up.

What Im saying is that due to effects of colonization around the globe, White People run into that scenario a lot less than other racial groups. Another way to put it is majority of White People usually get to actively choose to put themselves in that scenario. Not so much the other way around for other groups in most western countries.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Its a statement on global demographics. I never said anything about people unable to feel uncomfortable, you brought that up.

What Im saying is that due to effects of colonization around the globe, White People run into that scenario a lot less than other racial groups. Another way to put it is majority of White People usually get to actively choose to put themselves in that scenario. Not so much the other way around for other groups in most western countries.
What does that even mean??

Oct 28, 2017
You should go and have a good time with the rest of your coworkers. I mean, I'm assuming you've worked with some of these people for an extended period of time and have gotten to know them? Do you just not enjoy their company or is it really about you being the sole black person there?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What does that even mean??

Am I speaking Chinese?

In the US for context, White People have to actively make an effort to put themselves in a situation where they would be a minority. God damn, idk if you're trolling but you acting like this shit isn't basic as fuck everyday knowledge or a common observation.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Am I speaking Chinese?

In the US for context, White People have to actively make an effort to put themselves in a situation where they would be a minority. God damn, idk if you're trolling but you acting like this shit isn't basic as fuck everyday knowledge or a common observation.
English isn't my native language.All I'm trying to explain to you is that your statement in your first post was wrong.I hope you get that now.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
English isn't my native language.All I'm trying to explain to you is that your statement in your first post was wrong.I hope you get that now.

Thats not how it works doofus.

Seeing as I explained my thought process and all you had to say was "Im confused"

your english is perfectly fine, that aint a excuse playa

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Thats not how it works doofus.

Seeing as I explained my thought process and all you had to say was "Im confused"
This is your statement :
"White people can virtually go anywhere they please and not feel out of place as a minority, thats why they get ragged on when they complain about scenarios like this. "
Which is wrong, by the way.I explain to you that things don't work like that in real life.If you want to understand that's fine, if not, that's also fine.