• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how I feel about this. I do think content creators' mental health is absolutely something that should be better supported and I love what Jack has done with his channel but also Pewdiepie has created a cult of personality that has more or less gotten people killed and cultivated a culture of bigotry amongst the youth that watch him.

Please tell me I'm misinterpreting this stream somehow.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he is. My guess is that his kids, who basically run the channel for him, are big PDP fans and they're the ones primarily responsible for the collaboration happening.

I would be shocked if Jack is aware of the kinds of nonsense PDP has gotten up to, and I doubt he would want to collaborate if he did know.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How about we wait for the stream actually happen so we can judge if they will approach the subject correctly?

Deleted member 8696

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chile
They will probably raise a shitload of money by streaming together, so I hope it goes well.
Don't care about people's problems with PDP, though

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that PewDiePie was directly cited in a mass shooter's manifesto alongside a bunch of other right-wing shitheads and wasn't even a good influencer beforehand.

Edit: Ok, I guess he wasn't in the manifesto, but he still said "subscribed to PewDiePie" before slaughtering a bunch of people and even by then that meme was starting to be peddled by the alt-right. Not to mention he isn't exactly unfriendly to them either. Besides that he's always been problematic. Look at his history of his flat out racist stunts and rhetoric.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pewdiepie gets signal boosted from this, increasing his revenue streams. It's not okay.
I don't think PDP requires signal boosting, or can benefit from it by this point. He's been in the upper echelon of streamer popularity for years.

I kinda doubt Jack Black knows. He probably just saw popular streamer doing thing for charity and said 'cool'

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hbomberguy is a leftist youtuber who had a charity stream a few months ago for a trans charity and had various people including Jack Black and AOC show up, chat for a bit and say Trans rights, including the voice of Donkey kong himself (he was streaming dk64 till he beat it lol)
I know who he is but when did Jack Black show up?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I don't think PDP requires signal boosting, or can benefit from it by this point. He's been in the upper echelon of streamer popularity for years.
If it gets one person who had forgotten about him to suddenly start tuning back in and watching ads on his channel, he's been signal boosted. He should be de-platformed, not put on a pedestal. Just because he's participating in a charity stream, doesn't erase all the Nazi/racism/inspiring gunmen shit he's done.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Forgiveness brigade".

Now I'm imagining a Cobra Commander style cartoon character shaking his fist and screaming

CURSE YOU, FORGIVENESS BRIGAAADE!

as this motley band of camo-wearing soldiers takes the next hill, armed with throw pillows, novelty chocolates and worn copies of Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it gets one person who had forgotten about him to suddenly start tuning back in and watching ads on his channel, he's been signal boosted. He should be de-platformed, not put on a pedestal. Just because he's participating in a charity stream, doesn't erase all the Nazi/racism/inspiring gunmen shit he's done.
Despite my attempts to avoid him for the past half a decade or more (wasn't big on his videos even before I knew about all the racist shit) I still see his videos pop up regularly among popular streamers.

Coulda swore he did? I might be mixing it up with the fact he tweeted it out, my bad
I know he wanted to because it was mentioned either in here for the thread on that stream or on the stream itself, but I just assumed I missed it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Reminder that PewDiePie was directly cited in a mass shooter's manifesto alongside a bunch of other right-wing shitheads and wasn't even a good influencer beforehand.
yeah, and Doki Doki Literature Club directly contributed to my habit of self harm in high school.

but I was an idiot, Dan Salvato isn't evil

Edit: added "but"

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
The world at large just sees PDP as a popular gamer guy on YouTube. Nobody outside of forums/twitter threads really remembers the grimey stuff he's a part of.