• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I still remember Prince Harry dressing as a nazi back in 2005 and nobody cancelled the royal family, and the world moved on,. Hell even ERA they fawned over the royal kids and how Harry is awesome. meanwhile these people get labeled as the devil themselves (Pewdie pie, Nakey Jakey and that Girlfriend reviews team) ... except JonTron (He's an idiot with his racist rants - especially being the son of an immigrant family lol) , Pewdie pie seems like a guy who doesnt care and does what he wants.

Now Jackblack is gonna be disowned or what ?
To be fair, we weren't dealing with Neo Nazis back then.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow there is a lot of hoop jumping you guys are doing to justify this lmfao

Maybe some people just don't wanna support this y'all
I think it's fine if you don't wanna support it. Seeing that PDP is involved turns a lot of people off and that's cool, I get it.
But just straight jumping to "fuck Jack Black" or saying the charity shouldn't be taking the money is what I have a problem with. As far as JB goes the man's been in the public eye for idk how long and he has yet to show even a hint (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong) of being a racist douchebag. He should definitely be informed on who PDP is now that he's already done the stream, but until the man shows a pattern of behavior that would indicate some racist or bigoted ideals I'm not ready to just say fuck Jack Black.
And as far as the charity taking money from an event hosted by PDP...well c'mon now. Money is money. NAMI does a lot of good AFAIK.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Look, I'm not defending anyone or trying to say that there's evidence of Pewdiepie changing. All I'm saying is that if someone says they like PDP or some random problematic person, maybe our first response shouldn't be anger, but kindness. Maybe they don't know or think that he's changed. My only point is, try to assume the best. Don't instigate violence or retaliatory actions unless necessary.

To a different yet similar end, that's what we should do with our enemies as well. There are unspeakably evil people in the world, among them, Nazis. Our first response, however, shouldn't be to hurt them, but to help them. Help bring them out of the darkness, and if they won't listen, then take measures to stop their harm. If all we do is destroy evil, then it will rise up again. If we can change it or replace it, then it will be truly defeated.
Nobody is owed forgiveness.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Jack Black is definitely a little bit inconsiderate but the proof of this was that he simply left the stream after 2 hours and the donation goal was only halfway there. He said they had a bbq planned lol

If that doesn't make him look like he really only goes with the flow and nothing more then I don't know what, Pewdiepie donated 10k after that I believe. Maybe Black also donated something, wasn't clear but it looked like he just up and left.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Jack Black is definitely a little bit inconsiderate but the proof of this was that he simply left the stream after 2 hours and the donation goal was only halfway there. He said they had a bbq planned lol

If that doesn't make him look like he really only goes with the flow and nothing more then I don't know what, Pewdiepie donated 10k after that I believe. Maybe Black also donated something, wasn't clear but it looked like he just up and left.
This kinda made Jack look a bit ... meh , not shitty but dissapointing.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
To those unfamiliar with pewdiepie's idiocy: Here are some primers that shed some light on him:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
On this scale I mean. The neo-nazis worked hard to normalize white facism to this point.

Anyway, deplatforming isn't enough at this point. Educating people and reporting videos at this point won't stop them much. Their mass subscriber bases make YouTube money. Why would YouTube want to kill such viable revenue streams?
That's why we need to signal boost progressive champions.

Get more YTers like Contrapoints, Hbomberguy and PhilosophyTube in the millions of subscribers category, we can get them into the greater public spotlight. Then it'll be harder to ignore and we'll have a greater influence over the internet.

Last edited:

Village

Oct 25, 2017
How dare jack black get one of the most popular youtubers to help him raise money for charity.
The one that said all the slurs, follows a buncha right wing people on twitter, and along with the guy who video taped a suicide basically ruined ad revenue for everyone else onyoutube

That guy, that's the hill you poster are gonna die on, that guy?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jack Black has done a lot of good. Him doing a charity stream with a racist asswipe doesn't really make me lose respect for him.

However, that's my personal take, and I understand if you feel differently. Pewdiepie is a piece of shit and that often reflects on people who associate with him.

Oct 29, 2017
I donated to the charity when I saw the stream on my feed earlier, but this thread makes me feel like part of the problem. Classic era

This is a super reactionary response. The goal here isn't to make anyone feel bad, and internalizing this information in this way is super unhelpful.

Those of us who have a problem with this, are merely pointing out that Youtube does not care about the racism that is rampant on that platform, and the fact that people like Pewdiepie whose primary audience is children is like a gateway drug into more sinister and direct forms of this ideology is the problem.

It possible to take in information, and make better decisions going forward without internalizing what people are saying and making it personal. "Classic era" is just era doing the bare minimum of not ignoring racist and right wing shitposting that is rampant in pretty much every other corner of videogame related discussions online. Resetera is like the only place that I know of that isn't consistently filled with hate, and it's better for it.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Of course, but isn't that what love is about? Isn't forgiveness, love, and change inherently human? Of course you need to stop dangerous people, but that doesn't exclude love.
Let's pretend, for a moment, I was Muslim. Born and raised in a country where Islam was the primary religion.

Now let's say some of my family members in New Zealand were killed in a mosque because some Nazi asshole whispered the catchphrase of some Swedish guy on YouTube.

This Swedish guy is one who has made Nazi jokes, dropped the N-Bomb, followed Nazi assholes on Twitter who hated my religion, one of said Nazi assholes even appearing in one of his videos, that same Nazi asshole being at the top of a VIP list of another mosque shooter's "most viewed Twitter profiles" and had the audacity to pretend like he couldn't control the actions of another person.

Would you tell me, to my face, that this is a person that I should be forgiving?

Now back to me, the real life cis-het white male. Would you sooner have me stand with someone like PewDiePie, or someone who was directly affected by the stupid bullshit he has pulled throughout his wretched career?

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The one that said all the slurs, follows a buncha right wing people on twitter, and along with the guy who video taped a suicide basically ruined ad revenue for everyone else onyoutube

That guy, that's the hill you poster are gonna die on, that guy?
What's wrong with following right wing people on twitter? Jesus H. Christ.

I'm left leaning myself but the amount of hyperbolic and hysteria being thrown around here is baffling and depressing, honestly. PDP has done some very dumb shit in the past and I'd rate some of his attempts at 'humour' to be in very poor taste but can we please stop instantly labeling someone a Nazi whenever they've done a thing on the internet?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
To those unfamiliar with pewdiepie's idiocy: Here are some primers that shed some light on him:

We go through this every PD thread. It's like people aren't paying attention, or choosing to be willfully ignorant. Hell it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the same names pretending to not know his shit, had participated in the several other threads calling him out.

Anyway more on topic. I think Black should choose better who he works with, but since this is charity and PD isn't exactly getting boosted here anyway, I can't get too upset over it. But I understand the people that are. PD is one of the most prominent boosters for the alt-right.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a super reactionary response. The goal here isn't to make anyone feel bad, and internalizing this information in this way is super unhelpful.

Those of us who have a problem with this, are merely pointing out that Youtube does not care about the racism that is rampant on that platform, and the fact that people like Pewdiepie whose primary audience is children is like a gateway drug into more sinister and direct forms of this ideology is the problem.

It possible to take in information, and make better decisions going forward without internalizing what people are saying and making it personal. "Classic era" is just era doing the bare minimum of not ignoring racist and right wing shitposting that is rampant in pretty much every other corner of videogame related discussions online. Resetera is like the only place that I know of that isn't consistently filled with hate, and it's better for it.
This is a really good post. People need to realize that criticism and calls for self-reflection are not necessarily condemnation. The takeaway from it if you agree should never be "I'm a bad person", it should be "How can I be better?"

Nobody is perfect, but that shouldn't be an excuse to not aim higher and ask other people to do the same.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I'm left leaning myself but the amount of hyperbolic and hysteria being thrown around here is baffling and depressing, honestly. PDP has done some very dumb shit in the past and I'd rate some of his attempts at 'humour' to be in very poor taste but can we please stop instantly labeling someone a Nazi whenever they've done a thing on the internet?
None of those people are right-leaning or right-wing. They are far-right.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
When those right wring people basically put scare propiganda in the world, one of those people being stephen moleneoux who runs a cult that tells people to abandon their family, get ready for the race war and continiously talks about how black people a think I am how reportedly just have lower Iq. Along with a myriad of other questionable individuals , like Jordan Peterson doctor who has whole assbackwards views on women and has litteral nazi talking points. Lauren Southern who maks documentaries that essentially are " Black people are in france and that's weird. France's " culture " is being erased " . Been shapiro's who idiacy can be googled and paul johseph watson, man who is also a right wing propigandist that works for fucking alex jones

ITS FUCKING BAD, THOSE ARE REALLY BAD PEOPLE

If he followed the rock I wouldn't care because the rock isn't talking about IQ diferences in races

Oct 29, 2017

I mean it's a sad state of the Republican party when those types of people are called "right wing people" when so many of the people we are referring to have said overtly racist, sexist, and homophobic things. These are not right wing academics, these are internet celebrities who just want to shock people and cultivate a likeminded reactionary audience.

Also, the point is that PewDiePie has said racist things multiple times, he follows people who have said racist things multiple times, and is party to a new outreach strategy that has been openly discussed by people the likes of Steve Bannon. To pretend like none of this is happening is to be burying your head in the sand simply because you don't want to acknowledge it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Pewdiepie has always made charity streams. It's a good thing that a personality as Jack Black can get more viewers in, to raise awareness, and raise more money!

It's only win-win!
This isn't how reality works. If you think people like PD are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts you are mistaken. They are trying to spread their brand. They are trying to seem to seem like the "good guys" to people like you so others can't call out their shit. Sorry but if Donald Trump did a charity, which he does and has, I'm not going to suddenly forget that he wants kids in cages, is a blatant racist, and is actively attacking our democracy.

"that must mean you hate kids with cancer!" It's exactly the shit deplorable people want to have to shield them.

I'll accept that it's a lose-win. Good for people like PD which is a loss, good for the people that benefit from charity.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
All I'm saying is that if someone says they like PDP or some random problematic person, maybe our first response shouldn't be anger, but kindness.

Okay, I'm gonna ask you kindly to put yourself in another person's shoes.

Imagine being a Jewish person, and seeing Pewdiepie signal boost a Youtube channel filled with mostly anti-semitic videos.

Imagine being a Muslim, and finding out that the New Zealand terrorist attacker was a fan of Pewdiepie.

Imagine being a black person, and being constantly told that Pewdiepie's usage of the N-word was justified.

It's ridiculous to think kindness should come first in these scenarios. Your real feelings should come first, not kindness.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pewdiepie gets signal boosted from this, increasing his revenue streams. It's not okay.
Ok but like.

1) Can Pewdiepie actually get bigger than he already is? And is Jack Black gonna be the guy that makes that happen?

2) if something good comes out of his existence isn't that better than nothing? Because he clearly isn't going away.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Guys Let's be happy that PDP is actually using his status for good.

Don't get me wrong since he said the N word I'm never going to watch another one of his videos and I am boycotting him that way.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't how reality works. If you think people like PD are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts you are mistaken. They are trying to spread their brand. They are trying to seem to seem like the "good guys" to people like you so others can't call out their shit.
^This is literally every corporation in the world tho

Hell, most people who donate do it for tax write-offs.

Personally, i don't care why people donate to good causes so long as they do. It wont change my opinion of them, good or bad.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean jack black had the pewdiepie chair and was doing pewdiepie memes since day one so I don't see how this is surprising.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does the lesson in Stan from Eminem not apply to PDP?

I don't even like the guy, but I don't think he's directly fucking responsible for the shooting in Christchurch.

Would YTMND be responsible if the shooter had said "You're the man now, dog?". Serious question.

Oct 29, 2017
Ok but like.

1) Can Pewdiepie actually get bigger than he already is? And is Jack Black gonna be the guy that makes that happen?

2) if something good comes out of his existence isn't that better than nothing? Because he clearly isn't going away.

Can we also talk about how charities these days are used for brand building and image rehabilitation. Like to not acknowledge this is, seems like we are missing the point.

Ultimately, your usually better off donating to local charities than the types of things that are celebrity driven. I am not saying that I definitely know this specific charity will turn out, but the whole "it's for charity, so how can it be bad" argument seems to be at least partially by design, at least on Pewdiepie's side of things.

We can have a side conversation about the effectiveness of charitable donations, but I think ultimately the point of this thread is to once again point out that Pewdiepie has faced little repercussions for his past actions, and continues to be brought into the fold by big corporate interests at google/facebook, and Hollywood. And how disturbing it is that the most popular youtuber, who uses a platform owned by one of America's largest companies, continues to face no repercussions for being a bigot.

MainMain

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2019
Shujin Academy
Wasn't Jack Black detesting Donald Trump and the far right in the past? Hell his, well him and Kyle's, mini-series Apocalypto had them literally kicking the asses of KKK and Nazis members along with Donald Trump Jr.

Should also address this comment I've seen above, more about NonCompete's video. Isn't it a fallacy to correlate the actions of Felix to the far right ideology that we see? Isn't this comparable to comparing the violent contents of a video game to the real life behaviors of shooters who have played those same games? I'm more or less playing devil's advocate here, there's multiple papers detailing how priming, or the act of imprinting certain messages into someone whether they'd be far right ideologies or violent tendencies, in media doesn't correlate with real life behaviors. I can cite some if any of you want to read them.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you won't get any argument from me. Perhaps the difference being that PD is an open bigot. He could certainly afford a PR team like a corporation, if he wanted.
I can only speak for the USA but here in America being an open bigot just doesn't seem to matter anymore.

When Trump is your President people like Pewdiepie just come of as lil' scamps.

Wasn't Jack Black detesting Donald Trump and the far right in the past? Hell his, well him and Kyle's, mini-series Apocalypto had them literally kicking the asses of KKK and Nazis members along with Donald Trump Jr.
See above

I'm pretty sure Jack Black isn't a fan of Trump or the Right but I doubt that there is any association between them and Pewdiepie in his mind.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we also talk about how charities these days are used for brand building and image rehabilitation. Like to not acknowledge this is, seems like we are missing the point.

Ultimately, your usually better off donating to local charities than the types of things that are celebrity driven. I am not saying that I definitely know this specific charity will turn out, but the whole "it's for charity, so how can it be bad" argument seems to be at least partially by design, at least on Pewdiepie's side of things.

We can have a side conversation about the effectiveness of charitable donations, but I think ultimately the point of this thread is to once again point out that Pewdiepie has faced little repercussions for his past actions, and continues to be brought into the fold by big corporate interests at google/facebook, and Hollywood. And how disturbing it is that the most popular youtuber, who uses a platform owned by one of America's largest companies, continues to face no repercussions for being a bigot.
You're right. But let's also remember that every single one of us in this thread, on this forum, continues to use YouTube on a daily basis.

Like, i know people here have quit Facebook and Twitter. That's easy. How many refuse to ever use YouTube? And what if you still want to support good video creators? Ad Block isn't helping them. Turn it off tho and you support YT which supports PDP, etc.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep actions speak louder than words. It takes nothing to play some damn game, it takes a whole lot more to actually take a stance, which he never does. Even when a mass murder invokes his name because of his rhetoric (subscribe to pewdiepie!), he plays the victim.

For all I know Jack Black is super progressive, but assuming his politics based on roles he's played won't give you an accurate answer.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that jack black, a 50 year old with a lot more going on his life than internet drama, does not care. PDP isn't Ben Shapiro, for most people who look at this like a job, he's just another streamer and a popular one.
PDP isn't Ben Shapiro is exactly right. In a way, it makes what PDP is doing all the more insidious.