• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately curious about when it became the in thing to hate on Kojima? Like, when did that start, exactly? He's consistently made some incredible games, and while I've only played a few hours of Death Stranding, it's clear that he's created something different. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's an intriguing game and concept.

He's a talented game designer, with a penchant for infusing his work with his eccentric world view. I don't understand the need to hate on him at the level I see in every thread about him. If you don't enjoy his work, just don't engage with it. I can't stand Michael Bay or Zack Snyder, so I don't waste my time consuming their content, and I certainly don't go out of my way to shit on them in every thread related to them. I guess I just feel like my energy could be spent towards discussing things that don't make my blood pressure rise or put me in a foul mood.
100% this

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MGS 1-3 are some of the most beloved and revered games in the industry.

Can you say the same about M. Night and any of his works in the movie industry?
...Yes?

The Sixth Sense is a cultural phenomenon, and it has far greater influence than any Metal Gear game.

principal

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
M. Knight is like the Borderlands guy

Kojima is on a Nolan/Scorsese level in the industry

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
that feels disrespectful to M. Night and i don't even like any of his movies.
It's the other way around for me. M Night Shyamalan is a genuinely clueless director who breaks the basic rules of framing and cinematography to pursue experimentation. You can say Kojima's stuff is crazy and stupid but he really does know what he's doing in terms of his cinema, and thematics. It's just too on the nose to be good, and sometimes too disjointed in genres to seem masterful.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima is on a Scorsese level in the industry

39920.jpg

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So I just beat Death Stranding. I loved the gameplay; building infrustructure to link the various outposts is actually quite addicting. That said, the story is hugely disappointing, for a number of reasons I won't get into right now. And the "action" parts also sucked.

The last few stories that Kojima tried to tell have been disappionting to me. Death Stranding, Metal Gear Solid V, and Peace Walker as well. So for the last decade, Kojima has let me down in the story department, which is a giant shame, because I adored the stories of the first four Metal Gear Solid games.

This made me think about how I feel the same about M. Night Shyamalan. The man's first three movies, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs, are all amazing and beautiful movies with great, human stories. Then the guy drank too much of his own kool-aid and went off the deep-end, and hasn't been able to tell a good story since. Split was the closest he came to being back to form, but even that does not approach the level of quality of his first three movies.

Kojima feels the same. Dude had it all earlier in his career, then, from many accounts, became imbued with his own ego, and stopped telling great stories.

More like Quentin Tarantino.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately curious about when it became the in thing to hate on Kojima? Like, when did that start, exactly? He's consistently made some incredible games, and while I've only played a few hours of Death Stranding, it's clear that he's created something different. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's an intriguing game and concept.
Hating on Kojima has been a thing since MGS2.

Arguably it only really became prevalent with MGS4.

More like Quentin Tarantino.

If anyone that describes Suda51 more. Kojima has neither the sardonic edge, let alone the brevity.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Kojima could definitely make a movie better than M.Night's worst movie.

M. Night couldn't make a game better than Kojima's worst.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017

He's a talented game designer, with a penchant for infusing his work with his eccentric world view. I don't understand the need to hate on him at the level I see in every thread about him. If you don't enjoy his work, just don't engage with it. I can't stand Michael Bay or Zack Snyder, so I don't waste my time consuming their content, and I certainly don't go out of my way to shit on them in every thread related to them. I guess I just feel like my energy could be spent towards discussing things that don't make my blood pressure rise or put me in a foul mood.
I think a lot of it is his ego. We've known for years he's been ego-driven, but this year it really came through on social media and in interviews. It's pretty off-putting how much he cares about being friends with celebrities. He didn't position himself well going into this.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Nah, I think they're actually the complete opposite...

Shyamalan, when he was good, was about the tight writing. I would say he was never a super-great director or a master of the technical side of filmmaking.

While he's praised for it in some circles, Kojima's writing is his weakest skill. He's actually a really good designer and director though -- he created the whole stealth genre, and even his recent games like MGSV and Death Stranding are mechanically solid and inventive.

If I had to compare Kojima to a movie director, it would maybe be Spielberg? Great director whose recent stuff has been kind of disappointing due to so-so scripts.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
While Kojima has some questionable story telling at times I will say his games are more engaging than most in terms of me simply wanting to know what happens next. Most games stories are garbage

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many undisputed classics has M. Night created in his field? Kojima has 3. If it's less than that, then no.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I laughed at the thread title, but no.

Shyamalan has more than one genuinely good movie and doesn't get automatic praise for everything he does.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Come on thats a offense to mr. Kojima

I know everyone likes to hate on Death Stranding but this is too much

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's embarrassing and makes me want to stop posting here.

Nov 11, 2017
In my subjective opinion kojima has made 3 mediocre products in a row considering budget and dev length I disagree with this.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

It's mostly a reaction the zealotry. He's extremely talented at game design and his games have helped shape the industry. Problem is that it's a combination of his fanbase being so fervent in its proselytization and him being completely & utterly full of himself that many people are worn thin from the countless times Kojima is placed on a pedestal by himself or others.

Look, I didn't like Death Stranding. And I think that not liking it is reasonable. I played it, didn't like it. Many many many people played, and absolutely loved it. Also reasonable. But when his fans are proclaiming it "GOTY" *prior to release* without even playing a minute of it, it's a bit much. When Kojima proclaims that he's creating a new genre, it's a bit much. He's been compared to Scorcese and Kubrick in this thread. Without irony. I think it's reasonable to roll up and respond "yeah that's crazy and so are you" to any of those proclamations.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Kojima's games are still good and review really well despite their stories. They're nothing alike. Unlike a movie, a game is more than a story.

Oct 25, 2017

I enjoy Kojimas work, and I feel I identified 3 camps of "Kojima hate"

1) The people who don't like his writing.

He does have a rather unique style to his writing usually bursting at the seems with exposition and on the nose imagery/word use.

2) The people who think he is an egomaniac

This I think is the most common camp of Kojima hate on era. People don't like the fact the man is proud of his work. They get mad when he makes a claim like "I want to make a new genre" or "Americans probably won't like death Stranding much because they prefer shooters". To these people they view him as an arrogant egomaniac... which is further from the truth because according to almost everyone who worked on DS in terms of acting, Kojima is incredibly open for collaboration and working with others. Basically people in this group have hard core "Bitch eating crackers" syndrome

3) People mad that DS is about delivering packages because they wanted a spiritual Metal Gear successor or Silent Hills

Because DS is not the most conventional game, people are mad he hyped this game up and think it was "wasted resources"

These are the 3 basic camps, but Era falls mostly under the second one for reasons to hate Kojima

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima makes good games in spite of the often problematic elements of his stories and characters (namely, the alarming prevalence of misogyny through objectification and lack of agency).

M. Night has made a handful of decent films, but most of his movies as of late are duds because he's become convinced that every movie he makes has to have some sort of twist after the positive reception to the twist of The Sixth Sense. Glass was awful.