• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
Liking MGS4 scenario but not Peace walker not even MGS V ? I'm a huuuuuuge Kojima stan but how could you appreciate MGS4 scenario over Peace walker ?

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hideo Kojima games are an extremely deep medium that touches on a lot of metaphysical concepts in and out of fiction. Few people in the gaming community even understand it at that level.

If I told you that Kojima can rewrite the perceptual nature of human culture, you'd probably think I'm a madman, but it's true, and proven science.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
M. Night has created some amazing movies. I take a few turds if that's what it takes. It's better than having a career of average movies like JJ. Abrams. As far as I can tell Kojima doesn't have a turd in his CV. It's funny that people keep saying that gaming is way more than the storytelling but when Kojima writes a bad story it's a disaster. He makes more than the story and writing, his games are a class on game design, world-building and gameplay mechanics. But hey, you do you

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Wow people on here hating on Kojima so hard need to itrospect long and hard what causes such unwarranted negativity and hostility.
Like his games or not, he's actually trying to create some unique experiences, unlike the majority of your beloved Gears of Spider-Duties...

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Hideo Kojima games are an extremely deep medium that touches on a lot of metaphysical concepts in and out of fiction. Few people in the gaming community even understand it at that level.

If I told you that Kojima can rewrite the perceptual nature of human culture, you'd probably think I'm a madman, but it's true, and proven science.

Is this satire? It reads like satire.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Wow people on here hating on Kojima so hard need to itrospect long and hard what causes such unwarranted negativity.
I've been noticing the trend since mgs5, whats funny to me is that i never played a kojima game before DS and it's still my GOTY even with the strong competition this year.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I just finished DS too.
Ok, so let's start with saying the premise and lore are a bit too far fetched for my tastes.
His earlier games (metal gear 2, Snatcher, policenauts, mgs1-3) were a lot more grounded, with supernatural elements sprinkled on, granted, but with some clever, plausible sci fi elements and interesting fictional political scenarios.

These days, he mostly speaks through symbolism but while that's not my favourite Kojima I'll give him credit for ultimately making DS story work somehow. I mean, it's quite impressive in itself how all those pieces, characters, events the game is stuffed with somehow fit together in the end. And fit with the gameplay and themes of the game, which is a huge accomplishment by any account.

And philosophically, metaphorically, DS has a few layers to peel off.
Most people quick to criticize the guy for over-exposing (of which he certainly is guilty) would probably be surprised to find just how much they missed in terms of references and symbolism through the game.

I'd say open world doesn't really fit his storytelling style or over complicated stories, especially with how exposition has to be squeezed between chapters or delivered through bits of information the player is free to consume anytime or not at all (tapes, emails).

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
This year I am sure M. Night's Glass is going to get nominated for just as many movie of the year awards as Death Stranding is going to be for game of the year. /s

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol. No. Love it or hate it, everyone is talking about Death Stranding. It's a big deal and a contender for GOTY.

A new Shamalyan movie is never a big deal.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No because M Night made two great films

My response would have been "No because M Night doesn't hate women as much as Kojima does" but that seems to be a thing less of you want to hear than just "he's not that good in my opinion"

He's certainly no Lucas because Lucas made a bunch of fun films that are still enjoyable experiences

If "fun" is the criteria, I would think that, and most would agree here, that Kojima has only made fun games. Death Stranding being the only divisive one in this category, I found it pretty fun but some did not for understandable reasons. But even then, MGSV was only 4 years ago and from an enjoyability standpoint it is easily his most fun game.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
I think M. Night is underrated and even I have to admit Kojima is way more influential to the video game industry than Shymalan is to the movie industry.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
threads like this make me feel like ResetEra's userbase is very, very young. Kojima has been regarded as a legend in the industry since the 80's.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
threads like this make me feel like ResetEra's userbase is very, very young. Kojima has been regarded as a legend in the industry since the 80's.
i dont think its about being young, some people here are just ignorant on some topics and act weirdfully proud about it

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP you love the gameplay that means Kojima succeeded right? For all we know he designed games, no one knows how much of his involvement in story telling.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
These video game director to movie director comparison are dumb, but if you had to do a comparison, someone like Nolan would be the better equivalent.

Hype for their products, blank cheques from studios/publishers, constant appearances on movie/game of the year lists. And all the way from too much exposition in their scenes to the discourse around his fans vs haters.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is it about this forum and Death Stranding? There are so god damn many anti-Kojima threads now. The game is in the mid 80s critically - it wasn't panned and it's not a flop. What the fuck even is this comparison?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
User Banned (3 Days): Mocking an Ethnic Name
Kojima is a good and most importantly consistent director and producer. Warts and all. The 6/10 MGSV GZ paid demo is the worst that ever came from him in a directing capacity. Shama Lama Ding Dong, well. The 6th Sense and Unbreakable are good but not great, 7/10. His other work is average at best and utter dog shit at worst. His body of work is barely worth talking about and he is vastly overshadowed by his arrogance and insanity. He keeps finding work though regardless of what happens as he somewhat knows how to budget. Also this:
s1.jpg

You are the worst 2002.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Kojima never did this to another's property:

noah_ringer_is_aang_in_the_last_airbender_gallery_primary_1620x800.0.jpg

8VAFYy4.gif

KindheartedNervousCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

So no, he's not M. Night. He is better.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Kojima is terrible and worse than MNS. At least people acknowledge MNS is bad, fanboy kojima stans will continue to worship him even though he's bad.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Signs and Unbreakable are incredible movies, anyone who tries to chalk M Night as an eternal shitter aren't being truthful. The comparison is not apt, M Night has made a few critical flops whereas Kojima's fanbase won't ever allow anyone badmouth his games to the point of a middling or negative reception, guy literally made a walking simulator with zero gameplay and it's being considered for GOTY (yes I've played DS).
And your just full of shit obviously and you can say you played it all you want but if you claim "zero gameplay" you either didn't play it, quit right away or are outright lying.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks ago, he was Polanski. Last week, he was Lindelof. Today, he's M.Night. All these useless comparisons, lol.

Take him for what he is. Him and his team are some of the most talented in gaming today. There's absolutely no question about it.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Signs and Unbreakable are incredible movies, anyone who tries to chalk M Night as an eternal shitter aren't being truthful. The comparison is not apt, M Night has made a few critical flops whereas Kojima's fanbase won't ever allow anyone badmouth his games to the point of a middling or negative reception, guy literally made a walking simulator with zero gameplay and it's being considered for GOTY (yes I've played DS).

No, you have not played DS.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
God damn this site is unbelievable at times. Objectively If we compare them to their respective industries Kojima is way more successful in his space than M.Night.

And subjectively I've also never been bored with anything has has made.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So what's Kojima's Last Airbender?
You are claiming that thread is "fans are proclaiming it "GOTY"" ? I feel like you just moved the goalposts quite a bit. Yes, that was clearly a pretty dumb thread, but it does seem like a one off and suggesting this was wide-spread or any kind of "proclamation: is nonsense.
I didn't create the response you're addressing and I didn't create the goalpost to be moved. I noticed you asked for evidence and I merely provided one example I recalled. I'm sure the other posters have more.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I think a huge difference is Shyamalan isnt really a provocateur and isn't nearly as experimental. Kojima might be more analogous to a Fassbinder or a Von Trier.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay wise, he's among the best. But I agree that the stories are hit or miss for sure. I haven't played Death Stranding yet and plan to give it it's fair shake, but I have no hope that the story will be worth playing the game for. MGSV was the best playing MGS game yet, but the open world was horribly boring and the story was one of the worst of the gen. Death Stranding seems to have the same two qualities in people's minds so I am tempering my expectations.