• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of one bad game that Kojima has done. Slag them off for cutscenes or silly stories, but all his games bat way above average as games.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol
Kojima made one of the best series of all time and every one of main MGS games are amazing (MGSV disappointed me because of story, but it was a great game too). He made a demo (P.T) that was so good and one of the best scary experiences of history. And even Death Stranding is a great game for people who like that type of gameplay and atmosphere (it received more than 50 scores of 9 and above).
Shyamalan has a few good movies, but has some really awful movies too and don't know how can someone compare these directors!

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.
He's a talented game designer, with a penchant for infusing his work with his eccentric world view. I don't understand the need to hate on him at the level I see in every thread about him. If you don't enjoy his work, just don't engage with it. I can't stand Michael Bay or Zack Snyder, so I don't waste my time consuming their content, and I certainly don't go out of my way to shit on them in every thread related to them. I guess I just feel like my energy could be spent towards discussing things that don't make my blood pressure rise or put me in a foul mood.
For real. I can't stand naughty dog games but I sure as hell don't go into every thread about it to shit on them, let alone make threads about my wildly hot original takes on them.
Kojima haters also have to be the most uninformed and annoying bunch on this forum.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
If we talk only about the story, sure, since MGS3 Kojima has not created anything relevant. DS has some good cutscenes and art design, and the characters during the cinematics look great, but sadly all of this loses impact as the writing and main plot are really bad. The last cutscene is too long and really boring, but Kojima is not aware of this and he even said that he wants KojiPro to start doing movies, which is insane considering that the last Kojima game's only reedeming qualities were good tech and good gameplay (well, in the case of DS it's more experimental than good).

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Someone at the other thread said that if Kojima ever directed an actual movie it would've ended up being similar to Snyder's Sucker Punch, and honestly, there's some truth to it, considering his recent (well, not really) love for super softcore Penthouse photoshoots.

His best works as a writer are a borderline ripoff/homage of Blade Runner and Lethal Weapon in space. Personally, MGS has never worked for me on any level, be it story or gameplay (V has a great core gameplay, but some of its design makes me utterly bored). His writing was fine in the 90s because story almost always been an aftertought to the rest of the game, with adventure games and some RPGs being a small exception, but today, even though the overall quality of the writing could be better it also drastically improved compared to what we had in the past (can you imagine Wolfenstein: TNO or The Darkness in the early 90s following Carmack's comments?) and Kojima's flaws as a writer (be it crappy dialogue or copious amount of exposition etc.) are much more apperent compared to the polished scripts of some of his peers.

Still, it's undeniable that Kojima is a gifted designer and there're lots of interesingt ideas in his games, even if sometimes he can't execute these ideas properly.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't really understand the comparison.

What I will say though is that The Sixth Sense, Signs and Unbreakable are incredible films. He can live off those three films for the rest of his life.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I have no idea who to PM so I have to do it here. To the mod who put my account in the doghouse for 3 days. I couldn't care less about my account but I apparently care about being branded a racist in public. This is the song I via copy and paste one on page 3 to refer to Shyamalan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVGfEXnbs0
I assumed that someone would recognize an Animal House reference in a jokey thread about films but too much time passed, I guess. I could go on about 2/3rds of his screen name being made up or my ethnic background/name but whatever.

PS: His new show is a total mess but it does have a fake baby. Hm.