• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
If you listen to podcasts, no doubt you've heard the ads for Magic Spoon. It's a an online cereal brand that claims to use better ingredients, less sugar, and just overall advertised to be healthier. I love cereal, and I have been curious if anyone else on Era has actually tried it. It's $40 for 4 boxes which seems extremely steep, given that's $10 per box of cereal. I am curious if it's actually worth that price.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm equally surprised and not surprised that there's a subscription service for cereal. Sorry that I can't offer any experience tidbits, though, OP.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I've tried it. It's really not bad but probably not worth it long-term because of the price.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
No matter what cereal is gonna be worse for you than egg whites, whole grain oats by themselves, or fresh fruit/veggies.

If I'm eating cereal it's not a healthy decision.

If I eat cereal every day and I want to be healthier, I ain't doing it with ten dollar boxes.

It's cereal. Give me Cap'n Crunch or give me death.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm I just looked it up. A true low-carb cereal sounds interesting. I went on a Keto diet a few years ago and lost a ton of weight, and knocking out cereal was one of the main contributors to that.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad taste-wise, but yes it's overpriced. Good for satisfying a craving for cereal if you're on a low carb diet.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed it, and at the risk of repeating myself (I've posted about this a few times), here's a quick runthrough of the flavours I tried and what I thought:

• Fruity is like Fruit Loops, if Fruit Loops tasted anything remotely like fruit. It's got a citrus-y flavour that I really enjoyed, and if I bought a 4-pack again, I'd be happy with just 4 of the Fruity flavour.

• Frosted tastes like if someone made Rice Krispie Squares a cereal. Got a strong marshmallow-y flavour that I was pretty cool with. Not a big Rice Krispie Squares kinda guy, but I liked Frosted so eh.

• Cocoa and Peanut Butter were interesting, in that they were both okay on their own but perfect together. Cocoa was a little bitter, Peanut Butter had a salty taste to it. On their own they were okay, but I mixed them together and it was delicious. Magic Spoon has since started making Cocoa and Peanut Butter its own flavour, so I guess they also agree.

I live in Canada, so 4 boxes plus a promo code came out to $55 CAD. Not worth the price for me, but it is definitely good if you can afford it. They've got a Blueberry flavour now that I'm really tempted to buy because I love me some blueberries.

Cereal also got stuck to my teeth while I was eating it, I guess because of what the cereal is made of. Not the biggest deal, but felt it worth mentioning.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My girlfriend works for a podcast company so we got some free samples.... Its pretty good but also... its just essentially kids cereal. I guess if whatever it's nutrition is fits your diet and you like that stuff then go for it. Personally cereal like that is a rare treat not a meal so idk that id care to ever buy it. There are better treats out there that are more worth it. But to each their own.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's like $10 a box and the boxes are pretty small. I really liked the Frosted one a lot. Blueberry was good. The Fruit loops one was too citrusy. I hated the Cinnamon one (which was surprising because I usually love cinnamon cereal).

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's good for what it is. It obviously not as good as real cereal. But for people that generally need low glycemic index stuff it's a solid replacement. I had no complaints with what I tried. I'm not sure how but I think we got them for like $5 a box through a promotion or something?

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten some MeUndies, and they're honestly very solid underwear. Probably slightly overpriced - but I don't hate having a bunch of higher quality underwear in random patterns.

Most podcast ad products though - probably not worth the cost.

Not a knock on you or anything, but I feel like the position of "never buy products from podcast ads except for the underwear" is a pretty funny position to argue

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
It is overpriced. It's using the Casper model of invest a ton of money into marketing to sell basic items at a premium.

It is tasty but somewhat starchy feeling

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I really enjoyed the trial I got, surprisingly so. But yeah, they are way too overpriced. If they were like half-ish that, I'd be all in. But at current price, just no way

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like them. Yeah it's pricey ($40 for 4 boxes), but they last me for about a month or so. And they don't make me feel like crap afterwards.

A lot of these keto/healthy snacks are pricey to begin with. Give it a try. If you like them, then you found yourself a healthier alternative.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing special about it other than the intense marketing push

v8q6v5k1s4641.png

And remember, this is 3/4 a cup

cereal+portions+text.jpg

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Nah, his comment wasn't about advertising in general but specifically advertisements on podcasts, which is enough boomer power to fund a 100 buy gold now ads

I guess I get that. Maybe my problem is all youtube/twitter/Instagram/etc ads look like the same absurd cons to me. People selling $1000 "workout machines" that are just an elastic band on a metal bar, or some new amazing pillow that is just like any other pillow for $200, and so on. Now it's been a bunch of mud coffee alternative nutrition stuff.

There is nothing special about it other than the intense marketing push

v8q6v5k1s4641.png

And remember, this is 3/4 a cup

cereal+portions+text.jpg

My mind can't compute a cereal serving being anything less than a mount rising over the brim of the bowl.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's not going to be worth it unless you're on a low carb or keto diet and you just want a bowl of cereal once in a while.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife bought some a few months ago and enjoyed most of the flavors she tried. I had a little. It tasted decent enough — probably to the point where I'd say it was too good to be true, lol. Sugar free cereal is kind of hard to fathom.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
It's really, really good (for a low sugar/carb cereal). But yes, it's overpriced. But not by that much, reg cereal is $5-7 a box by me rn.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it at all- weirdly it made me super thirsty and overly full to the point of not feeling particularly great after each bowl.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
$10 for a box that's 1/3 the size of a $3 box of frosted flakes.

Honestly, I look down upon any podcast that does a testimonial ad for crap like this. It's one thing if your ad is like "the all new Maserati Levante can go from 0-60 in under 6 seconds. Go to Maserati.com for dealer locations"

It's another when you give personal testimonials of expensive as fuck products you wouldn't touch with a 50ft pole unless you got freebies.

Nord vpm, door dash, square space and other products in the price range of every day people are perfect. This crap? It's no better than hocking dick pills with questionable stuff in them.

Last edited: