• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
So, i just finished Witcher 3 and Ni No Kuni Remaster and i need my RPG fix, was wondering if is even worth to play Andromeda, i love the original trilogy. Is any of the magic present in Andromeda?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's functionally a decent Mass Effect, but it doesn't have the soul. How ok do you think you'd be with that?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who absolutely loves the original trilogy, no. I didn't find any of that same magic in Andromeda and I wouldn't recommend it. For me, it was largely a waste of time.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
There are scraps of the magic here and there in the game. Some of the characters are passable, although none of the crew really match those from the previous trilogy.

The combat is also pretty good.

Everything else is mediocre. I don't think I'd outright call it bad, but it's almost worse that much of the game is plain and uninteresting.

Deleted member 2109

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only good thing about it is the combat. Best in the series. Story and characters are all forgettable.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I ended up just running through the story quickly because I couldn't really stand all the side stuff. Not worth it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

It's a fantastic game that gets way more shit than it deserves. No, it isn't as good as the original trilogy, but it's definitely not a bad game. It does some things very well.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
none of the magic is present.

It ended up being playable with updates, but it is clearly not from a team who had experience of the caliber this series was known for. The game has so much generic and unimpressive stuff that makes it feel like a bizarre one-off copycat of Mass Effect more than anything you'd expect of that universe. I love the original trilogy. I thought Andromeda was really weak and had no charm. It's just some cable TV ripoff.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
The essential elements of mass effect, great characters amd interesting locations, are absent.

If you played ME for the mechanics and skipped the story, you might like it. But there would also likely be something seriously wrong with you...

Real

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who'd never played a Mass Effect game, I thought it was a pretty fun Saturday weekend romp.

I also liked Anthem, so take my opinion with a massive amount of salt.

OP
OP

Deleted member 56065

Apr 18, 2019
none of the magic is present.

It ended up being playable with updates, but it is clearly not from a team who had experience of the caliber this series was known for. The game has so much generic and unimpressive stuff that makes it feel like a bizarre one-off copycat of Mass Effect more than anything you'd expect of that universe. I love the original trilogy. I thought Andromeda was really weak and had no charm. It's just some cable TV ripoff.
Damn, that bad? Guess i should find some other rpg to play.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Mass Effect and played it with an open mind, but I couldn't get through Andromeda. I don't think it's worth bothering with. It also has some of the most bland and uninteresting open world planets that I've ever seen in a game. Save your money and play something better.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I feel like this thread already exists. And the answer is still a resounding no.

Even hearing how bad it was, I gave it a shot, and I was still surprised at how bad it was.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't pay too much for it. I paid 8$ and finished it.

Combat is excellent. Story is OK. I did like it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. I gave it a genuine shot and actually finished it and still couldn't really find anything to grasp onto as a positive by the end.

I don't think it's the awful trainwreck that it's sometimes painted as, it's just really bland.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The combat's a good time and the worlds arguably feel the most "alien" in the series, which I always enjoy in sci-fi. On the whole though, outside of a few exceptions, the story and characters aren't nearly as memorable or compelling as the trilogy.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I played it at launch, and had fun with it despite the numerous issues. It's not great, especially for a Mass Effect game, bit it's fine.

Oct 27, 2017
No.

It's not a terrible game (though it is the worst Mass Effect), but it is such a time investment for such little payoff as to not be worth it.

I highly doubt that any hypothetical future entry will follow up on Andromeda's characters or plot in a meaningful way either.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
If you are in the mood for ME universe fan-fic (don't get your hopes up more than that), definitely make sure you check which quests are what priority level, and don't do "tasks" (lowest tier, mostly fetchquests that waste any narrative potential the setup might have)

I still remember chasing a patient with infectious illness to prevent an outbreak...turns out it was just a multi-planet fetchquest, where you comically arrive just a bit late, every time...And this was before the patches that allowed skipping of travel animations. It was a horrendous experience.

Oct 29, 2017
There are scraps of the magic here and there in the game. Some of the characters are passable, although none of the crew really match those from the previous trilogy.

The combat is also pretty good.

Everything else is mediocre. I don't think I'd outright call it bad, but it's almost worse that much of the game is plain and uninteresting.

Pretty much this. It's worth at least trying if you like Mass Effect. Just don't expect the world.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Combat is best in the series, so it has that.

It's not as bad as people say it is but has a bit of an issue with MMO questing so if that bothers you, you should not.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. The only ME game I didn't finished or spend a lot of hours in.

Characters are terrible, so are the enemy designs and the story just made me lose interest.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly its not that bad of a game but it fails at everything people liked mass effect for. Really bland characters and world with abysmal writing and dialog. It actually plays ok imo but there are plenty better games to waste your time with than this.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's a good game. It's not great. It has issues. But it's a good game. Give it a shot if you have the time.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I feel like this thread already exists. And the answer is still a resounding no.

This, right here.
The question is asked every six months on ERA, as if time will magically make the game better....or we can all talk ourselves into enjoying it.

On PC, there are mods. But mods can only do so much.

Oct 27, 2017
Its "OK." It feels like a Mass Effect fan game honestly. I had some fun with it, but do not go into it feeling like you're about to get another great ME adventure.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who'd never played a Mass Effect game, I thought it was a pretty fun Saturday weekend romp.

I also liked Anthem, so take my opinion with a massive amount of salt.

It took you a day to run through it? Or did you just play it over a Saturday and dropped it?

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Yeah. I completed trilogy recently and then Andromeda. I enjoyed it
Side side stuff is not that bad, you just have to ignore Tasks. The rest of side quests are very good. Especially loyalty missions, on par with original trilogy. World is beautiful, characters are very interesting, story is a let down, but the last 2 missions are šŸ”„
totally worth it.

So...Anromeda is not as good as trilogy and Witcher 3, but still good.