• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Depends, Its a fine game when judged on it's own merits. But if you enter it expecting more of the trilogy, you're gonna be disappointed.

I would classify it as a time waster that's fun while you play it but then forget afterwards. i'e, one of those games you play when nothing else grabs your interest.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. But also maybe if you can settle in to a sweet spot with it.

I pre-ordered because, like many, I'm a deranged Mass Effect fan. I took me until last year to actually beat the fucking thing. It has awful pacing and some truly uninspired quest arcs. It's filled with content presented with purpose but ultimately boil down to hamfisted fetch quests. That being said some of the quest arcs are a lot of fun, namely the loyalty mission equivalents.

It does its entire premise and concept a disservice due to being overly sterile and unambitious. It's so safe in how it desperately panders to nostalgia, even if there's moments of original, thought provoking intrigue that shine through. I wound up liking the cast well enough, but much of the game is thematically so flat and dull that you rarely feel like you're moving towards anything interesting. It's too busy being tonally erratic (SUPER SERIOUS DIRE but EVERYTHING FUNNY QUIPPY YOUNG ADVENTURE WOO) to feel grounded. And too desperate in clinging to Mass Effect tropes to be original. That being said, I found it picked up a lot towards the very end where a lot of the more unoriginal story beats start to come into their own, and some callbacks to the trilogy are intriguing. The climax is satisfying too, in my opinion.

The open worlds are super boring to explore. There's a lot of visual worldbuilding but because the premise itself collapses under a lack of anything all that interesting it's hard to actually care about what's going on. You never feel alone or like you're exploring uncharted terrain. The planets feel already lived in and the galaxy very small. There's very little memorable about them, other than visual splendour here and there.

The combat is free and open which some people love and gives a good first impression, but to accommodate that the encounters themselves are basically like Destiny or an MMO where enemies are huge bullet sponges. The cover system is dogshit, the AI is shittier, so while it's got this open, freeform approach to the combat the actual action is super loose, squishy, and completely unsatisfying to me. There's a clunky, clumsiness to the whole thing. Driving feels really good.

I dunno. I forced myself to beat it on principle that it's Mass Effect and I needed to finish it. I fucking hated it at first, it took me three attempts over a couple of years, but once I found a groove and dropped the difficult to make combat easier to comb through and forget I wound up enjoying it enough. I think it's a wholly unoriginal and uninspired take on what should have been a rich, interesting premise. It somehow takes a totally new galaxy, a new frontier of mysteries, and an engine capable of rendering large open spaces and a great sense of scale, and makes it feel claustrophobic, lived in, already mined of surprises it could have had, while repackaging tropes from the trilogy (hello ancient precursor race that left behind advanced technology). It really struggles to form and anchor a strong identity of its own, and combined with production issues (technical and artistic faults) it just never settles on anything all that good.

So yeah. It's a very hard recommendation because you might walk away going "oh that wasn't great but I enjoyed it enough". Or you might feel "my expectations were already set low and I'm still disappointed".

I would classify it as a time waster that's fun while you play it but then forget afterwards.

This is true. When I finally got my groove on and was pushing through it was during a period where nothing else grabbed my attention. It was an easy way to wind down from work; come home, churn out some Mass Effect, catch ya later.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I enjoyed the game more than Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Outer Worlds, but compared to the original trilogy it feels a little bit dull.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Yes.

It's a fantastic game that gets way more shit than it deserves. No, it isn't as good as the original trilogy, but it's definitely not a bad game. It does some things very well.

This.
It's a good game, the combat is the best of any ME to be honest. The story is alright, but it has way to many similarities with ME2. The characters are passable, some are good, others are bad, there's not really a middle term.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That's an extremely imprecise picture. ME2 dialogue was virtually the same as ME1 but the dialogue was better. And when you add paragon and renegade interrupts you have the best narrative mechanic in any ME game, easily.

ME2's wheel in the picture should be ME3's.
I didn't make it but the total usage was actually less in effect. Kalisah Bint Sinan is the perfect comparison point.

ME1, you get 4 dialogue wheels, one per question with 6 choices for each. ME2 you get one question and 5 choices followed by additional lines that are autodialogue. In ME3 you get no choices but two interrupts and if you wait those out, Shepard auto-replies.

I personally like ME2 the most. In total it does have more conversations and very well written options, but no single dialogue in the game goes to the same depth as some did in ME1. The picture is just a demonstration of that.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Played it for free during a random free EA Origins Access thing, played 5-6 hours and it didn't grab me so unfortunately just uninstalled.

If you're looking for an RPG, try Yakuza 0 if you haven't already. RPG mechanics attached to a brawler with the goofiest minigames/side stuff.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I didn't make it but the total usage was actually less in effect. Kalisah Bint Sinan is the perfect comparison point.

ME1, you get 4 dialogue wheels, one per question with 6 choices for each. ME2 you get one question and 5 choices followed by additional lines that are autodialogue. In ME3 you get no choices but two interrupts and if you wait those out, Shepard auto-replies.

I personally like ME2 the most. In total it does have more conversations and very well written options, but no single dialogue in the game goes to the same depth as some did in ME1. The picture is just a demonstration of that.

I think the picture is misleading at the very least. The reporter had different roles to play in the three games, having a longer conversation with her in ME1 than in ME2 is not an accurate representation of how dialogue, and particularly the dialogue wheel, works in ME2.

Indeed, the picture makes me think two things. 1. Mass Effect 2 has a more limited dialogue wheel. 2. Mass Effect 2 has simpler dialogue options. And neither are true.

I think the main difference between ME1 and ME2 in terms of dialogue is how ME2 handles auto-dialogue. Take Tali's trail for example

I find that to be an incredible roleplaying moment. With Shepard saying exactly what I wanted him to say in any of those options, but it's one choice. Indeed, if we look at the reporter we can see just that.

Both dialogue wheels are similar. ME1 has one extra option that allows you to punch the reporter, but in ME2 you had an interrupt that would do just that, so the number of options has not decreased, only been refined. The main different however is that in ME1 you answer several questions with short answers, while in ME2 you answer one question with a longer answer. Now, the role of the reporter was more meaningful in ME1, that's true, but that has nothing to do with the dialogue system.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
It looks and sounds like Mass Effect but it doesn't feel like Mass Effect? Can't put my finger on it.
I thought the story was really interesting but it's very clunky and controls weird. Also, the interaction between the crew is awkward and I didn't connect with the characters as well as I did with the ones in the original triogy.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Nah, not at all.

I'll be honest I got a massive craving for it a few months ago.

Got it thinking "ok I'm willing to accept this is nothing like the old trilogy and enjoy it for what it is, all of the hype and expectations have passed by now and it can't be that bad". I managed about 5 hours before realising I'd rather drag myself through broken glass than try to finish that game. The story is worthless, the opening cut scene is comically bad, the characters are shit, the shooting is fun and smooth but all in all pointless when there are no missions or objectives worth caring about. Even exploring environments and ships and learning about the world is uninteresting compared to the world building in the old games.

I'm sorry, I really hoped it wasn't as bad as the backlash, and went in expecting this to be the case, but it really is.

Also there is a Krogan with a high pitched human voice with an American accent and no filter whatsoever which is hilarious, it comes across more like a human teenager in a Krogan suit.