• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
The combat is awesome or at least I think so. You can zip around the map with air dashes and jumps, but most importantly you aren't stuck with a single class and therefore weapon options. You can swap between classes at any time. For these reasons, I consider the game a lot of fun to play.

Maybe the game is lacking in the story department, but after 3, I didn't care so much about that anyways.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's worth a playthrough. It's not horrendously bad but it's disappointing because it could've been so much more. If anything, you'll enjoy watching your ai squad mates get sent flying from energy blasts by enemies. It's hilarious

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer: No
Long answer: Playing the 1.0 version of the game is an interesting romp through a super glitchy space hellscape where things can break at any moment, but it's more interesting on the speedrunning/low percentage type deal. It's still a dull game.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm a big fan of Andromeda, personally. I would give it a try and just make sure to avoid missions labelled "Tasks" as those are the fetch quests. But the loyalty missions are good and I like the cast. The midgame is where the game shines, i think. It takes it a bit to get the ball rolling. I'd also keep in mind that it's kind of Force Awakens in that it plays on a lot of renditions of classic trilogy moments so you may or may not like that.

It also really sets itself up for a new trilogy and so most of the interesting plot points don't resolve by the end of the game. It plants a lot of seeds and from the looks of things those might not get to grow.

The combat is very fun, though. It feels good to play, especially biotics.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
So, i just finished Witcher 3 and Ni No Kuni Remaster and i need my RPG fix, was wondering if is even worth to play Andromeda, i love the original trilogy. Is any of the magic present in Andromeda?

I spent over 90 hours on it, 100% of quests.

I had fun with the whole thing. Its NOT Mass Effect 1-2-3 though.

I liked how it looked and the traversal (your jetpack, the Mako 2.0, etc.).

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually playing through it right now. I put about 10 hours into it at launch and all the bad word around made me stop.

Honestly? I'm really liking it so far. But Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game of last gen, so I think it would only appeal to you if you really, really love the ME series.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone says. Is it rough around the edges? You bet. Terrible game? No way.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Currently playing through it after picking it up dirt cheap, because I had the ME itch. Honestly, it's a decent game. The story beats aren't as high as parts of the original trilogy, but Ryder is a fun protagonist. There is a lot of going from one location to another in the quests though. Personally think that some of the criticism is too harsh but can kind of get it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It is an incredible game, would highly recommend it. Loved it from start to end.

PSbigfan

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
All ME games are the same for me so I don't understand why people say it's bad
They all good games but not amazing.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I just completed it last night. I enjoyed it enough to have put 50+ hours in, which would be considerably cut down if you just mainline the quests. Combat is fun, it's a neat concept of exploring and founding new colonies, but narratively it's the same thing as the Trilogy, which is a disappointment. There's at least one major plot point in the game that apparently went unaddressed at the end, too.
Supporting characters aren't as interesting, and something about the voice acting for all the aliens is off.
They also really didn't need to have crafting in this game, at least in so much detail. having different levels for armor and weapons and then different attachments for those levels and then you can build all the levels but with their own one time use upgrades and you can only store so many weapons and armor so you have to clear out inventory😱😱😱😱too much.
And everyone is familiar with the animations. I remember one particular fist fight between two Krogan that was hilarious.

PS: FUCK GLYPH PUZZLES BUY ALL THE INSTANT PUZZLE SOLVER THINGS YOU CAN

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
If you dont mind a little jank then go for it.

Dont do the tasks and stick to the story missions and companion stuff. The combat is great. Just know that everything else is okay to decent.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they hadn't abandoned it, it would be. As a 1-off, no, not really. It's not a standalone story really. At least for me, a lot of the enjoyment was anticipation for how your choices would play out in future content

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. The combat carries the game.

Combos are incredibly satisfying and there are legitimately different builds that change how you interact with specific encounters. It may have some janky bits, but the story is serviceable and the crew interactions just as good as the other games. The ship conversations add a ton of flavor

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue with people saying, "sure, play it. It's not as bad as everyone says" is that it doesn't respect the OP's time. Think about how many games release in a given year and how many of those we get to play with the time we have. The real question is whether ME:A is worth playing over the likely dozens of other high quality games released over the past five years that OP may not have had time to play yet. And the answer to that question, then, is a resounding NO.

Jun 22, 2018
It isn't a great mass effect game, but taken alone as its own thing, it's actually a very enjoyable sci-fi RPG.

Just don't go in expecting ME 1-3 and be okay with it doing its own thing and you can really enjoy it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
No.

Aside from MAYBE the combat (which is extremely tunnel visioned into having 3-5 OP skills and with the limited build system they went with make it where you're effectively gimping yourself if you don't take those) there isn't anything I can say I liked about the game.

There are maybe 3 moments in the entire game that feels like Mass Effect, and the rest is a tumblr fanfic from some people who watched Firefly drunk one time (And watched them out of order) while also hiring an intern to do the coding and rigging.

There are rigs on the (second) desert planet you go to that still spawn with arms clipped through their bodies holding their guns, broken script triggers, pretty sure the infinite level up glitch is still in the game, and it takes mods to fix things like SAM's garbage warnings.

The only meaningful level design is the loyalty quests which are bogged down by substandard writing and desperately trying to imitate the original games while bringing in nothing good/new to the table, while giving you even less than the original game did (like races missing and sequel baited/DLC baited only for that DLC to never happen.)

Oct 28, 2017
The combat is really strong. I did enjoy the game for the most part and although I don't think it comes close to the original trilogy, there is fun to be had with Andromeda. Personally i'd just stick to the story missions and ignore most of the side stuff. Andromeda suffers for far too much empty filler. Lot's of things to do, but none of them feel very worthwhile.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the game since launch, and only played ten minutes of it for various reasons. Whenever I consider loading it up even if it's just for the supposedly good combat, I end up looking at a quick showcase of the combat and then decide that the rest of the game's faults are too much for the decent combat to compensate for, and then just end up not starting it. Instead, I just go back to the first three games.

Andromeda suffers for far too much empty filler. Lot's of things to do, but none of them feel very worthwhile.

That would be the main reason I haven't bothered with it. I can't stand that about most AAA open-world games, and it sounds like Andromeda has that in spades. It was bad enough in Inquisition, and it sounded like Andromeda was just Inquisition in space, but worse.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth a shot at least. But for me personally, the big indication that Andromeda wasn't doing it for me was that I didn't care about a single crew member. In fact, I don't even remember anyone except the ship pilot who's religious and, um, I think there's a blonde woman who has tactical ops capabilities?

Not caring about any of your crew members in a Bioware game is the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. I still remember people from Dragon Age and other Mass Effect games, and while I may not have liked them all (and probably hated at least a few ANDERS), I had opinions about them and relationships with them. That never became true in Andromeda.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I loved 1-3 and tried to get into ME: A several times. I started it 3 or 4 times before I stuck with it. Sure, it's not as good as 1-3, but I really really liked it. Its combat was the best in the series IMHO. It lacked the iconic cast of 1-3, but I still really enjoyed the setting and story.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth it if they announce a direct sequel and you need to know the backstory before the new game.

Otherwise? No... not really. Unfortunately.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the original trilogy (ME3 included) but I dropped Andromeda by the middle of the game. You should play it and try it for a few hours and then decide, but at least for me it wasn't enough fun to continue.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth a shot at least. But for me personally, the big indication that Andromeda wasn't doing it for me was that I didn't care about a single crew member. In fact, I don't even remember anyone except the ship pilot who's religious and, um, I think there's a blonde woman who has tactical ops capabilities?

Not caring about any of your crew members in a Bioware game is the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. I still remember people from Dragon Age and other Mass Effect games, and while I may not have liked them all (and probably hated at least a few ANDERS), I had opinions about them and relationships with them. That never became true in Andromeda.

There was basically a copy of every character from the original series so it is easy to remember

It reminded me of Star Trek in that way

Oct 28, 2017
I've had the game since launch, and only played ten minutes of it for various reasons. Whenever I consider loading it up even if it's just for the supposedly good combat, I end up looking at a quick showcase of the combat and then decide that the rest of the game's faults are too much for the decent combat to compensate for, and then just end up not starting it. Instead, I just go back to the first three games.

That would be the main reason I haven't bothered with it. I can't stand that about most AAA open-world games, and it sounds like Andromeda has that in spades. It was bad enough in Inquisition, and it sounded like Andromeda was just Inquisition in space, but worse.

If anything, I felt Andromeda was worse than DA Inquisition for pointless filler content. At least it never bothered me too much in Inquisition where in ME Andromeda is bothered me a great deal and made playing the game a chore at times. Andromeda being Inquisition in space would be a fair summary imo.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Absolutely 100% worth it. I got it at launch and I've finished it 3 times since. Best gameplay in the series, fun characters (Vetra is super cool and Cora has a surprisingly good romance), and some fantastic visuals. Don't let the haters influence your decision. If you get it and don't enjoy it, you're out like $5. I'd say that's worth the "risk."

Also the multiplayer, while kinda barren nowadays, is lots of fun. Not a lot of maps due to EA forcing BioWare to drop support immediately after YouTube decided to make the game its punching bag (without most of them even playing it, I guarantee), but I'm still able to find matches every time I jump in.

Try it. It's a decent Mass Effect and a wonderful standalone sci-fi space opera.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Only if you are really desperate for games of such type AND not a completionist in the slightest. The game is mediocre in its best parts, and filled to the brim with meaningless MMO-like filler. If you make an honest effort to ignore all the filler and just stick to the main quests, you can play it, but don't expect anything above mediocre level, and certainly not on the level of the original trilogy.

If you're desperate for an RPG fix, tell us which RPGs have you already played, and chances are someone would suggest you a much better alternative to playing ME:A.

Gonna give it a shot, if it's anything like New Vegas i'll be happy.
Well, don't get your hopes up for that one. The Outer Worlds is rather boring, in my opinion, and certainly not a game on the level of New Vegas. I couldn't even force myself to complete it (and I managed to complete ME:A!), so that says something, also taking into account that I loved most previous Obsidian games; TOW is easily their weakest game I've played.

Last edited:

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
There is fun to be had, though most of that for me was the multiplayer with friends. The single player story is nothing special. If you have nothing else on your back burner I'd say try it for your RPG fix, but there are better options out there.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm afraid not. It goes out of its way to waste your time over making your time with the game meaningful.

You could delete every last single one of the MMO style 'Task' quests out of the game and it would make the game legitimately better.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I both loved it. The characters are great BioWare characters. They're largely the reason I play their games. The shooting mechanics were also pretty great overall, so it was a fun game to play.

I will say that the game does not put its best foot forward. The first ~10 hours are undoubtedly the worst. It's shaky and the gameplay is a bit iffy, but I thought once the game got rolling it was a great time. Personally I rank it higher than the original Mass Effect.

The game can be found for what $5 now? There's really no excuse not to play it if you love the original trilogy.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Worth the time? No, but if you know to sort out most of the "Task" bullshit, it's okay. It has moments I really like and despite how badly it often runs on base consoles it often felt pretty ambitious on a graphical level.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If there were no other games in the world to play, you could do worse. But there are so many other games to play, so why would you spend 40 hours on this?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is, ignore the haters, they always have the strongest voice on internet..

I have more than 95 hours on it and still far from finishing it (doing every side missions), and I'm really enjoying it like I did with the first trilogy.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's got some of the weakest side-character writing of any of the games